Active Now

Echooos
Discussion » Questions » Politics » If the Founding Fathers of the USA's constitution were still alive, what changes might they propose? And why?

If the Founding Fathers of the USA's constitution were still alive, what changes might they propose? And why?

Posted - March 5, 2020

Responses

I agree with your objection to using of in the question; but out of curiosity, I found that googling Founding Fathers of the USA's constitution will get you the proper distinction.
      March 6, 2020 2:06 PM MST

Fair comment if we're being literal.
    Pretty sure most people understood the intent of the question.
      March 7, 2020 4:08 PM MST

Yes, I am being literal (big surprise),  and I understand the intent of the question. Its intent, however, does not correspond with the manner in which it is worded. 
    ~
      March 7, 2020 4:14 PM MST

OK.
    So how do we deal with the much larger issue of inadequate primary school education?
      March 8, 2020 5:12 PM MDT

I believe that people such as you and I already deal with it in our own ways by addressing it on our own levels. I am not a classroom teacher nor any other formal type of educator, yet I do my part to not ignore what I consider to be important aspects of knowledge, first of all by making every attempt to set a good example. 
    ~
      March 9, 2020 5:29 AM MDT

Point taken and accepted.
    I looked up Tom Jackson's recommended Wiki entry.
    It showed me that the term "Founding Fathers" has several meanings, some more dominant and widely accepted than others.
    It also showed that far more people were involved in drafting the Constitution than I had realised - but that's probably a good thing.
    If the history is a true representation of what happened, then certainly the majority of the population were not consulted or involved. Only a minority of leaders who had led and won against England really had the power to create the Constitution.
    It seems Americans can count themselves lucky that these men were not megalomaniacs just waiting to show their true colours once they'd overthrown the Brits.

To say that the country itself has founding fathers - those who slaughtered Native Americans, captured, imported and enslaved Africans, and broke the soil to grow their first crops - seems a little odd to me.
    Why not include the founding mothers as well. Where would the country be without breeders?

This post was edited by inky at March 8, 2020 5:24 PM MDT
      March 8, 2020 5:22 PM MDT

It may be similar to the concept behind words such as man (as a verb), mankind, manpower, brethren, etc.  Quite simply, the phrase “founding mothers” didn’t exist.
    ~
      March 9, 2020 5:25 AM MDT

Maybe that a impeached president looses all their power to pardon anyone because it would help stop the possibly of people lying for the president because they know they will get pardoned. Cheers and happy weekend! This post was edited by Nanoose at March 7, 2020 5:53 PM MST
      March 7, 2020 5:43 PM MST