Active Now

DannyPetti
Durdle
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How can there EVER be a time to not worry about commas? Grrrrrrrr.

How can there EVER be a time to not worry about commas? Grrrrrrrr.

Inspired by this question string:
 https://answermug.com/forums/topic/102631/are-you-paying-attention-to-all-the-things/view/post_id/763853

~

Posted - March 17, 2020

Responses

If the writer wants to be sure of clarity, no.

As the grammarian Tredinnick puts it:
    "The comma as pause has been oversold and under-explained. We need a smarter notion. Punctuation lets a reader rest where we, in the telling would rest, and it tells the reader where and how long to wait. The purpose of waiting is to notice the relationship between the parts as the reader passes among them; the waiting and the breathing and the noticing expose the structure of the short story piecing itself together around the reader. Punctuation points to the hinges, the joins and the breaks. It tells the listener, through the different kinds of silence it invokes, how to take the sentence’s bends.

Punctuation marks off, for instance, the subordinate clause from the main; it encloses parenthetic expressions; it separates words or phrases in a list; it marries the appositive to the subject or object it complements; it ties two main clauses together in a compound; it introduces an explanation or an aside’ it brackets definitions and scientific names.

Punctuation helps the words do what they can’t without a speaker. Punctuation let’s a sentence talk, and let’s the reader hear it, almost as though it were being spoken."

~ Mark Tredinnick
    from The little green grammar book (2008): Part 3 - Keeping the pieces apart pp. 129--196
      March 17, 2020 10:22 PM MDT

The greatest time to worry about commas is when they attempt to go commando and drop one of their 'm's (commatose).
      March 17, 2020 11:33 PM MDT

Do worry so about commas so much......fret more if you will about the coma I'm going to get four yew if you persist in diss'ing me off....:)S 
      March 18, 2020 4:19 AM MDT

I - prefer - to - use - hyphens.
      March 18, 2020 5:18 AM MDT

Commas are for weenies. I don't need no stinkin' commas.
      March 18, 2020 7:13 AM MDT

~
      March 18, 2020 11:40 PM MDT

Commas are the most important thing in the world to me cuz I just have to have an endless supply of them to couple the freight cars, umm, I mean clauses in my run-on sentences together so yeah, commas are just that important.

March 19, 2020 1:20 AM MDT

(cuz because)
      March 19, 2020 6:38 AM MDT

...but I went and got it just for you!

Mmm, yummy.

March 19, 2020 3:12 PM MDT

Hey, is that a free sammich I see right out there in the open?

[Later that week on the local news: ”A missing persons report has been filed in the case of a man known publicly as Randy D, and who frequents bookstores, libraries, tilde shops and sandwich shops . . . “] 

~
      March 19, 2020 10:28 PM MDT

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I care ok........
      March 19, 2020 6:50 AM MDT