Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Generally speaking, do you find vegans and vegetarians to be self-righteous prigs?

Generally speaking, do you find vegans and vegetarians to be self-righteous prigs?

Posted - April 11, 2020

Responses

I think that is a result of an abusive parent or two so bad that you that you leave no chance of ever leaving yourself open to hurt in anyway again. I think that's a tie in for the self righteous prig.
    Vegetarianism can be an art of self preservation and paranoia or caring about the environment.

This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at April 11, 2020 9:09 PM MDT
      April 11, 2020 9:01 PM MDT

anyway any way again.
      April 11, 2020 9:06 PM MDT

Very interesting! 

Just to clarify, you think that self-righteousness is linked to self-protection, and is a result of being abused as a child? 

April 11, 2020 9:07 PM MDT

Yes. Something way out of line with the nuclear family and dependency needs is most of the source of all emotional differences in people except if they've been traumatized in later life which can happen too.
    "PTSD in late life can result from trauma that occurred much earlier or can follow traumatic events that occurred for the first time in old age. When trauma took place when the person was younger, PTSD in later life might represent the re-emergence after a period of extended quiescence or be the continuation" This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at April 11, 2020 9:53 PM MDT
      April 11, 2020 9:11 PM MDT

I tend to think of self-righteousness more in line with narcissism, but that's an interesting perspective. 

Thanks, Cosmic. 
      April 11, 2020 9:29 PM MDT

Simply put, true narcissists have zero interest in introspection or self-improvement. Their guiding principle: Never, ever let your guard down. As I said, I think it again stems from some excessive mollycoddling as a child. Just shooting in the dark because narcissism is complex and we all have it to some degree. I don't know but I hate narcissism and vegetarianism equally. What else is there to do with something that can't respond back to you but eat it? This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at April 11, 2020 10:03 PM MDT
      April 11, 2020 9:48 PM MDT

Yikes! Hope you're never around children under age 2! 

:)
      April 12, 2020 5:28 PM MDT

No, because not every vegan/vegetarian is the same, nor do they all do the same things.  Some of them may be self-righteous, some may not be.  Of the ones who are self-righteous, it may or may not be due to their being vegan/vegetarian, and of the ones who are not self-righteous, it may or may not be due to their being vegan/vegetarian.

~
      April 11, 2020 9:04 PM MDT

Good answer. 

I think that most people have a moral compass, and I doubt that you'll find two that are completely identical. Measuring ourselves against someone else's compass is useless. Humans have a universal tendency to make judgments about one another, based on a variety of factors. Being aware of this fact, and of our own personal negative judgments, is a good way to start to change them. 

April 11, 2020 9:20 PM MDT

I think your reply here is a useful template for responding to over generalizations about groups of people. 
      April 11, 2020 9:51 PM MDT

(over generalizations over-generalizations)
      April 11, 2020 10:00 PM MDT

Yes. 

Personally, I have work to do when it comes to generalizing Trumpites. :/
      April 12, 2020 5:31 PM MDT

I don't think it's completely useless, and I'll give you an example.  My wife has expectations of what she considers to be a good husband, and part of that is based on her inner moral compass.  Simply put, when it comes to morals, there are things she sees as right or wrong.  If I live up to those things she sees as right, or if I commit those things she sees as wrong, it feeds into the way she sees me.  Judgement is not only a negative aspect of how humans gauge each other, it has positive connotations too.  In her judgement, she makes decisions about me and determines if I am correct or incorrect.  As you stated above, if I am aware of my own actions/behaviors in light of how she would measure them, then out of respect for her and respect for our marriage, I have to conduct myself not only in ways that I deem correct, but also in ways she deems correct.  This is not to say that I have to be a robot based on what she wants, because as a husband, I have expectations of what I consider to be a good wife.  If we did not make judgments about each other from the first day we met, them we would not have made decisions as to whether or not we'd be together.  I judged her positively, she judged me positively.  There are negative judgments that we have made of each other since day one, in addition to the positive judgments.
      As with the example I made using my marriage as a guide, all human interaction is based on our moral compasses wherein we measure ourselves and we measure other people.  Every person with whom you agree is someone you've measured using your moral compass as a guide, and vice-versa, every person who agrees with you has done the same thing.

~
      April 11, 2020 9:57 PM MDT

Moral character or character is an evaluation of an individual's stable moral qualities. The concept of character can imply a variety of attributes including the existence or lack of virtues such as empathycouragefortitudehonesty, and loyalty, or of good behaviors or habits. Moral character primarily refers to the assemblage of qualities that distinguish one individual from another—although on a cultural level, the set of moral behaviors to which a social group adheres can be said to unite and define it culturally as distinct from others. Psychologist Lawrence Pervin defines moral character as "a disposition to express behavior in consistent patterns of functions across a range of situations".[1] Similarly, the philosopher Marie I. George refers to moral character as the “sum of one’s moral habits and dispositions.”[2] Aristotle has said, "we must take as a sign of states of character the pleasure or pain that ensues on acts."
      April 11, 2020 10:11 PM MDT

Sure, I completely agree. My response was too general, perhaps. 

Our own values and morals definitely come into play when it comes to relationships, but I think they're better left out when it comes to judging and stereotyping others, particularly entire groups. 

I guess I'm trying to say that we can be different from and disagree with people, without thinking negatively about them, or feeling superior about ourselves. I'm not sure that many people do that, but it's possible. 
      April 12, 2020 5:45 PM MDT

Some may be and others are not. As Randy asserted, each individual can be different from the next.
      April 11, 2020 9:08 PM MDT

I don’t know many of either, but those few I’ve encountered haven’t made much of a stink about their dietary practices. 

I think it fair to say self-righteous prigs exist in every demographic. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 13, 2020 1:08 AM MDT
      April 11, 2020 9:56 PM MDT

I've found that once the subject comes up, some people are determined to turn it into an issue. Most vegans and vegetarians I know try not to even bring it up, unless it's completely necessary, for fear that they'll be questioned and scrutinized, and judged. I've had more than one person tell me that not eating animals is against God, which I found laughable. 

You're definitely right. 
      April 12, 2020 6:02 PM MDT

Nope.
    I've known scores of vegetarians and tens of vegans.
    Only one was an evangeliser for the cause.
      April 12, 2020 3:01 AM MDT

That's pretty much my experience, too. 
      April 12, 2020 6:12 PM MDT

No.  I don't care what you eat and I think using it to define yourself is small and stupid. 
      April 12, 2020 3:12 AM MDT

For sure if I had a quarter for every time a vegan or vegetarian rolled their eyes at me because of the meatey  food I ordered I would be a rich man. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at April 12, 2020 6:13 PM MDT
      April 12, 2020 5:47 PM MDT

You must be surrounded by zealous vegans! 

Anyone ever tell you you'll go to hell for eating meat? :)
      April 12, 2020 6:10 PM MDT

No because they know I'm a meat eater and I could tear their veagtable butt off. I used to know a couple who made their dog a vegan and it was the most unhealthy/low energy dog I ever met. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at April 12, 2020 6:53 PM MDT
      April 12, 2020 6:37 PM MDT