Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Fashion » What does the colour black mean to you? When you wear it, what's the occasion?

What does the colour black mean to you? When you wear it, what's the occasion?

Depending on your disciplines, black could be the appearance of a substance that absorbs all spectrums of light and reflects none, as in the pigments of a painter's pallet, lamp, bone, char or ink. Or it could be what you see when deep within a cave, the total absence of light. Either way, black is full of poetic resonances, it's meaning shifting like a chameleon, to signal according to its context.

So what is black to you?

Posted - April 30, 2020

Responses

And now you know what I’m thinking, my friend.  (Wink, wink.)

~
      May 2, 2020 9:58 PM MDT

When i become black panther
      May 1, 2020 10:36 AM MDT

• Black is not a color.
      May 1, 2020 10:39 AM MDT

No? What would you call it?
      May 1, 2020 10:56 AM MDT

• Like white, it's the absence of color.
      May 1, 2020 11:10 AM MDT

How can two different tones mean the absence of color?
      May 1, 2020 11:15 AM MDT

Not quite.
    Black is what we perceive in the absence of all light.
    But light as it comes from the sun at midday is white.
    When the droplets of a rainbow refract light we see it divide into the colours of the spectrum.

This post was edited by inky at May 2, 2020 8:39 AM MDT
      May 2, 2020 8:39 AM MDT

White light (not paint) is a mixture of all colors. Notice the spectrum does not containing black, hence, you are correct about it not being a color.

May 2, 2020 4:45 PM MDT

( . . . does not containing)
      May 2, 2020 9:41 PM MDT

• That's what they told me in art class.
      May 1, 2020 11:33 AM MDT

Hmm.
    Was it a watercolour class which used the blank white of the paper as the starting point for painting an image.
    If so, the white can be masked with masking tape or wax, while all the other colours are applied around it, and then removed. The remaining white could represent clouds, highlights on eyeballs and still life objects, etc - or part of an abstract composition.
    In this context, the white is the absence of applied colour.
      May 2, 2020 8:47 AM MDT

Shoes are nearly always black, Apart from sad rags, there's only a black concert shirt, black pullover, cartoon t-shirt, trousers, wig and of course the eponymous tie(s).  
      May 2, 2020 9:09 AM MDT

So easy to wear black - all is instantly well coordinated.
    Doesn't show dirt, though does show fluff, white or coloured pet hair and fading from endless washes.
    Works well with splashes of colour, shows off any accents of ornamentation.
    Blends in amid crowds so one can be anonymous, and pass unnoticed and in peace.
    No wonder it's the de rigeur almost everywhere.
    :)
      May 2, 2020 8:25 PM MDT

I wear it a fair bit - "winter colours" suit me. It's also hard to soil, although it does attract lint.
      May 2, 2020 8:58 PM MDT

Usually funerals, but there's Black Tie dos, black concert shirts and my shoes are usually black, not to mention the black wig and the occasion black tshirt. 
      May 5, 2020 6:54 AM MDT