Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Politics » American politics question from England, what's this all about with Trump taking legal action? Does he really think he could reverse it all?

American politics question from England, what's this all about with Trump taking legal action? Does he really think he could reverse it all?

Is there such a thing as a coallition in the states? How would that work out?

Posted - November 7, 2020

Responses

If by coalition you mean an alliance for combined action, one could argue that all who voted for Trump were part of a coalition that came together to prevent Joe Biden from being elected president.

But I think that America does not have a political coalition in the sense that the British do.

(Beyond my first two sentences, any other statements by me would probably be inaccurate and probably misleading.)

Successful legal action requires more than just the unhappiness of 70 million people to effect change.  Beyond allegations of fraud, there must be proof that fraud actually was engaged in.

The Republicans have offered no such proof so far, and it seems that it highly unlikely that there was any fraud, much less any proof of such fraud beyond wishful thinking by the Trump.

And remember, Trump is dealing with his loss---and the five stages of grief involve denial and anger.

I hope that helps---perhaps someone with more specific knowledge will comment.
      November 7, 2020 4:52 PM MST

I think your explanation was spot on.  In some ways, I think the British model of government is more fair than our two party system.  In our system, half the people will be unhappy with the results.  In the British model, more people are represented.  
      November 7, 2020 5:43 PM MST

You can't believe how frustrating that system can be for choice of vote
      November 8, 2020 2:02 PM MST

Probably, but don't you think that way more people's views are represented?
      November 8, 2020 3:15 PM MST

The constituency you live in may not have the party representative you wish to vote for in a bi-election
      November 8, 2020 3:37 PM MST

I see what you mean.  Then you're not much better off than we are - you just have more politicians.  UGH!
      November 8, 2020 5:34 PM MST

Our system is multi-party but it still feels like a two-party system. Unusually for an advanced democracy, our electoral system is first-past-the-post; that is, based on single-member electoral districts and not on a system of proportional representation such as additional member or single transferable vote. This means that the two principal parties are always over-represented, and small parties may find it difficult to get any representation in Parliament at all, because there may not be any districts where they have gained enough votes locally to win that seat. So, I'm not convinced our system is more representative than yours or that we get a more meaningful choice.
      November 9, 2020 3:54 AM MST

The UK system has other parties who are elected into the house of commons and so they don't have to be in charge to have a voice. This is why you don't have to be for one side or the other, voting for one of the non main parties can change things as long as they are heard.  Even if one main party gets in, the other always has a shadow government to hold it accountable, or work on behalf of the people who are not being presented.
      November 9, 2020 4:01 AM MST

Thanks for explaining.  I guess no matter who is elected, someone isn't going to be happy.
      November 9, 2020 10:21 AM MST

Then there is the house of lords lol
      November 9, 2020 11:33 AM MST

yes, the self-appointed :)

November 9, 2020 1:55 PM MST

I suppose I should now stop thinking that your system is any better than mine. :)
      November 9, 2020 8:47 PM MST

On paper, every single form of government looks good. It’s when the dual factors of reality in practical application and  human behavior are added to them that they all go haywire. Each and every one of them.

~

November 9, 2020 9:26 PM MST

Excellent insight Tom thank you
      November 8, 2020 1:58 PM MST

You're quite welcome.

November 8, 2020 3:01 PM MST

Donald Trump has just as much chance of having a reversal of a presidential election as did both Al Gore and Hilary Clinton.
    ~

November 7, 2020 5:11 PM MST

Yep--about as effective as a retrograde ejaculation.
      November 9, 2020 12:12 PM MST

i dont think he can do anything about this election. You cant just accuse of fraud just because you lose in the polls
      November 8, 2020 7:18 AM MST

Trumps thinking is fraud in action.
    He cheats at golf
    what else would one expect?
      November 8, 2020 8:33 AM MST

It is unlikely. 
    He will have to prove fraud. And prove it was enough to change the results. 
    We always have fraud.  There is evidence and it will be presented.  Recounts already for GA and WI.  If the software "glitches" can be proven to have miscounted there maybe more recounts as well.  They used software used by CIA to manipulate votes in other countries. 
      November 8, 2020 9:11 AM MST

Hey hi! As a fellow Brit-lander it's great to see you here. I pop on and off depending on how madly busy I am, so I am sorry if I missed seeing you on here before. 

So.. Trump... he SAYS a lot of things, he always has.. he shoots his mouth off at the drop of a hat.. pretty much most, if not all of them are unsubstantiated.. He will often deny he even said them! He's been cited as the, as in THE biggest single source of misinformation about COVID there is! 

So, back to your question.. does he really think he can overturn things? Yes, probably he does, he isn't very bright, he doesn't understand a lot of things, and he is motivated by anger.. so mostly he will shoot his mouth off and later finds out he can't do that...
      November 8, 2020 1:11 PM MST

Hi A daydream believer thanks for your reply, I don't know about you but it seems that looking from the outside from our perspective there's a lot of confusion understanding differences in political practice. It seems though, the divide between red and blue is very similar over here even though half the people don't really understand what's going on. I found John Lydons little speech very interesting. I think I'll just sit back and watch, there's too much going on in the world now like "will there be enough fish and chips to go round after the brexit deal?" Lol
      November 8, 2020 1:56 PM MST

I am so sorry about your Brexit problems.  It seems as though the world is in turmoil.  No one is happy with what's going on anywhere,  I'd like to find an out-of-the-way island and just inhabit it until everything settles down.  I'm sure I'm not alone. :)
      November 8, 2020 3:18 PM MST

Pitcairn island sounds a nice place, not much panic buying either.... Bring your own sheep! Lol
      November 8, 2020 3:44 PM MST