Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What do you think Mr Trump's best option is; resign and obtain pardon via president Pence or fight tooth & nail to have his case for re-

What do you think Mr Trump's best option is; resign and obtain pardon via president Pence or fight tooth & nail to have his case for re-

election go all the way to the Supreme Court?

He has been concerned about being pardoned because that would mean he had done something wrongful and illegal. "I have never done anything wrong" he has claimed.

"I have the absolute right to pardon myself" he has also claimed.

Posted - November 15, 2020

Responses

There's no real path to SCOTUS for his case, which is weak.
      November 15, 2020 10:01 PM MST

Right.
      November 15, 2020 11:15 PM MST

President Trump is exercising his best option. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 20, 2020 11:11 PM MST
      November 16, 2020 2:51 AM MST

Wouldn't you have to be convicted of something before you can be pardoned?  If they can't bring charges against him while he's in office, they would have to convict him once he's no longer president.  Once he's no longer president, he has no power to pardon, whether it's himself or anyone else.
      November 16, 2020 6:46 AM MST

Nixon hadn't been convicted of anything when Ford pardoned him.
      November 16, 2020 7:24 AM MST

How can you pardon someone who hasn't been convicted.  Didn't Nixon resign even before he could be impeached?
      November 16, 2020 10:19 AM MST

He did. Thus he wasn't impeached, which would have been a prerequisite for conviction in the Senate. He was never convicted in any court.
      November 16, 2020 12:36 PM MST

That's what I thought.  At lease Nixon, as bad as he was, had the grace to do what was best for the country.
      November 17, 2020 9:36 AM MST

Nixon was the biggest crook ever elected, but he was a great president by comparison.
      November 17, 2020 9:51 AM MST

That could probably said for any other president.  Donald Trump is in a class all by himself.  
      November 17, 2020 10:59 AM MST

Best option :  Hari kari
      November 16, 2020 10:24 AM MST

Trump could just concede that he lost the election and, with grace, assist with the transition.

However, that's not in his character. He will see indefatigable optimism as his only path and hence fight as hard as he can no matter how futile it is.
    All the legal eagles agree that there is no evidence and no basis for his claims; he will lose in the courts.
    If he is relying on his devotees' donations to fund it they will lose their money.
    If he pays his own costs, he is so rich that he probably won't even notice the slight drop in the values in the black column.
      November 16, 2020 4:55 PM MST

There is no way Trump would spend his own money when there are so many eager devotees who will gladly fork over their hard-earned money for his defense.
      November 17, 2020 9:38 AM MST

I think, as others have hinted, that his best option would be to concede, apologies and act, for once with dignity and humility. It would be a first but people might at least remember that rather than all the countless misdeeds, the appallingly shocking and stupid things he has said, his ridiculously deranged tweets insulting celebrities and other countries, his lies.. and so on and so on.. Then he 'might' just might be able to run for election again. 

Personally I think and hope that people will never forget the fiasco, shame and disgust Trump brought down on America. 

To fade away into obscurity would be his best bet.. 
      November 17, 2020 3:04 AM MST

I think he should crawl back under that slimy rock he slithered out from under. 
      November 17, 2020 5:20 AM MST