Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Music » Is there a song in which you seem to only hear one version - - and NOT the version you prefer?

Is there a song in which you seem to only hear one version - - and NOT the version you prefer?

For me,  "I Can See Clearly Now."

If I hear the song on radio stations, it's always Jimmy Cliff's cover version.

Give me Johnny Nash's original -- he wrote the song, too. I admit I'm completely biased for Nash -- that man's voice sends me, no matter what he sings.

Posted - January 17, 2021

Responses

• I like Johnny Nash's version better also.

I love the extended versions and 12'' versions of 80s songs, but radio stations never play those.

January 17, 2021 9:17 PM MST

Yeah, I've not heard a lot of extended and 12" versions.
    :)

I'm happy to hear you like Johnny Nash's song, too.

Sorry it took so long for me to reply to your answer. Work got a bit crazy.
    Thanks for answering! This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 27, 2021 6:24 PM MST
      January 27, 2021 5:25 PM MST

“Lean On Me”
     I prefer the 1973 Bill Withers version, because I grew up listening to it. All too often, many outlets only play or primarily play the 1987 Club Nouveau version, which is sort of a reggae/hip-hop/rap rendition of the song.  Even when I select the song on my iHeart app and specify which version I want to hear (I have it saved in my favorites there), there are other occasions when I have the app set on the random or shuffled selection, and the 1987 one plays. I don’t dislike the newer version, but on a percentage of how much I like the original compared to it, I’m at 90% Bill Withers, 10% Club Nouveau.

“You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling”
      Curiously, on this one, I only like the 1980 Hall & Oates remake, because it’s the first one I had ever heard. For some strange reason, I never knew it was a remake of The Everly Brother’s 1964 original. When I found that out a few years later, I listened to the original and decided immediately that the remake is the only one for me. 

~

January 17, 2021 10:54 PM MST

I could have answered with your answer word for word. :)  Other than I might like Club Nouveau's version a bit more than you do. :)
    For me, there's something about Bill Withers' singing -- to me, he almost "lives" whatever he's singing. Though with a totally different style of singing, Patsy Cline is the same for me like Withers - - they both do more than just singing a song.
    A radio station I like played Withers' version the other day. :)

I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond to your answer. Work got a bit crazy to me.

I don't particularly like that "Loving Feeling" song but I do like Hall and Oates' version.

Thanks for answering!
      January 27, 2021 5:33 PM MST

The only one I can think of (I are a slow lerner) is the Wet, Wet version of Love is all around - I prefer the unadulterated Troggs version.
      January 17, 2021 11:56 PM MST

I get your point. I admit I do like Wet Wet's version - -I listened to it, perhaps for the first time, just now. I listened to it first and I like it.

And now I'm listening to the Troggs -- I SO like their sound, after listening to Wet Wet.  I like the "grittiness" or something like that.  :)

I like both versions. :)

Work got goofy for me - - sorry it took so long for me to respond to your answer. And thanks!
      January 27, 2021 5:43 PM MST

FYC's godawful butchery of Elvis's Suspicious Minds.
      January 18, 2021 1:34 AM MST

What does FYC stand for?
      ~

January 18, 2021 10:11 AM MST

Fine Young Cannibals. Brit band and I can't stand them. Won a Grammy for the music video on She Drives Me Crazy despite rank plagiarism, having copied New Order's True Faith.
    (I was a teenager in the 80s, can you tell?)
      January 18, 2021 3:23 PM MST

And I looked at both of those music videos and then looked around a bit -- and you probably already know, but it interested me to find out that the same choreographer choreographed both New Order's "True Faith" and Fine Young Cannibals' "She Drives Me Crazy" - - Philippe Decoufle.

EDIT: And sorry it took so long for me to reply. Work got really busy. Thanks for answering!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 27, 2021 6:26 PM MST
      January 27, 2021 5:54 PM MST

• just as bad, their butchering of Ever Fallen In Love by The Buzzcocks. 
      January 21, 2021 7:05 AM MST

I'm afraid to admit I like Fine Young Cannibals. :) But I think I, too, prefer Elvis' version.
    And, yikes - - I REALLY like Dwight Yoakam's version.  :)

January 27, 2021 5:50 PM MST

Yes, "You Can Leave Your Hat On."  There used to be a version filmed in Paris however it has been removed from Utube. It was the best I've ever heard. 
      January 18, 2021 3:16 AM MST

Joe Cocker?
    I admit I didn't know the song by just the title. I like what I'm hearing as I listen. I like this song MUCH better than his "You Are So Beautiful" - that's the only song I know of his, I think. This "You Can Leave Your Hat On" is SOOO much better to me!! I love it! Ha!  :) This is the first time I've heard it, I think.

And sorry it took so long to respond to your answer -- work.

Thanks, though, for answering!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 27, 2021 6:33 PM MST
      January 27, 2021 5:59 PM MST

Two songs. The 25 minute version of 'Shine on... I never heard until I found it on you tube. Also the 12 minute version of 'Poppa was a Rolling Stone I have only heard a couple of times.

January 18, 2021 12:05 PM MST

Boy, I'm going to need to come back and listen to all of both of these songs. I usually fail miserably in getting back to listen to all the great stuff people share, though. I guess by just the length of these songs we can understand why we may not hear them on the radio or wherever we listen.

I admit I didn't know this "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" song by just the title -- I started to listen and loved it by the 0:51 mark, with just that intro. Then I looked up who was doing the song (my screen only showed part of the title).  -- Pink Floyd  - no wonder I like it.

I heard that entire 3:55 part of the song. I don't know the song at all. I looked up the album and only knew the album title from just having heard of the title and knowing it was by Pink Floyd. I'd do well to listen to the entire album and I bet, like you, I would prefer this 25:00 minutes-long version, if the next 17 minutes are like the first eight I've heard to this point. I assume it is not on the original album with that length.

11:30 and counting.   :)

Sorry it took so long to respond to your answer - - work got busy for me.
    Thanks for answering!

12:00    .  . .
      January 27, 2021 6:13 PM MST

no, i dont have any songs like that
      January 18, 2021 1:27 PM MST

You might be better off for not having it happen to you.  :)

Sorry it took so long to respond to your answer. I got really busy with work.

Thanks, though!
      January 27, 2021 6:14 PM MST

The long LIVE version of Suzie Q in concert. They never play the full song on conventional radio.
      January 27, 2021 6:10 PM MST

I do like so much of their stuff!!

I'm liking this -- and I usually don't like "live" versions.  :)

Thanks for answering!

January 27, 2021 6:15 PM MST

Hey Welby, I was thinking of you today. I was thinking how I might have scared you off. Well yes, but I think the drummer is the only original member playing in this. Doug Clifford I think. Nice to see him isn't it? Movies next.. I'm trying to finish Adrift In Manhattan. Here too for you Welby my man!
    This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at January 27, 2021 6:39 PM MST
      January 27, 2021 6:23 PM MST

I don't know CCR well enough to know the individual band members. But I still this version you posted.

Oh, for the time to watch a movie - - I just flitter all around lately. :)  Thanks, though.   

No, no worries -- you didn't scare me off - - work just got really busy the last week-or-so.
      January 27, 2021 6:39 PM MST