Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Language » What grammatical error that people often make bugs you the most?

What grammatical error that people often make bugs you the most?

less/fewer.

Posted - January 19, 2021

Responses

I think some people use split infinitives just to really annoy me.
      January 19, 2021 11:44 AM MST

I plead ignorance. What is a split infinitive?
      January 19, 2021 11:45 AM MST

I included one in my post. It's when one or more words come between the particle "to" and the infinitive (e.g. "annoy"). Usually it's an adverb. It may not be incorrect, but it can hit the ear wrong in sentences such as: "The population is expected to more than double in the next ten years."
      January 19, 2021 11:50 AM MST

Particle?
    Your explanation is confusing, but your example was more than sufficient. Thanks.
      January 19, 2021 11:54 AM MST

More than..This sounds like something George Carlin might have parodied. What the hell is more than?..What do you mean by More Than? This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at January 31, 2021 2:15 PM MST
      January 21, 2021 5:55 AM MST

Iuhno.  See, I ain't too good with grammy-attic terms like, nuns, pro-nuns, curbs, agitators, constructions, and them there dangling particles.  Thusens I don't tend to see 'em in other folks writin's.  Heck, I don't rightly care 'bout no spelling neither. Long as I can sound it out... you know, connecticutly like.  Ya' wanna know what really gets me?   Them there granny gnatz.  Always gettin on ya' for things like punch-e-ation, not congregationin' a curb, not knowin' the word there from there and there, and stuff like that.  Makes me so mad I could spit!
      January 19, 2021 12:52 PM MST

I could care less.
    I would have went.
    There, their, they're.
    Improper/lack of punctuation, i.e.,  Let's eat, Grandma.  Let's eat Grandma.
    Improper sentence structure, i.e., Smelling like rotten fish, my sister took the trash out.
      January 19, 2021 1:04 PM MST

Maybe your sister should have taken herself out with it, smelling as she did. 
      January 19, 2021 5:08 PM MST

Using the wrong word (e.g. "there" instead of "their"). I mean, why confuse unrelated words just because they sound alike?
      January 19, 2021 1:11 PM MST

When someone says "I seen it."  That drives me up a wall, I cringe every single time. 
      January 19, 2021 5:15 PM MST

#metoo
      January 22, 2021 3:31 AM MST

It only bothers me if what they're saying is complete crap that I disagree with. Even then, I don't really get bothered. I simply shake my head. 

I think one of the most ignorant is calling an exclamation point an explanation point. Also, not understanding contractions. Well, not avoiding using the contraction "you're" if you cannot remember that it's not spelled
    y-o-u-r. 

If it's a professional document, it does genuinely annoy me. 
      January 19, 2021 5:23 PM MST

u’d reely make me chose jest won ? 

like i. wood of thot u cud of gave me moore two name then gist a signal won man thats knot to cowl off u coz i ken pont out alot off dem

thats wot gifts grammer it’s apeel is it’s abillity too espress 1self inn a weigh thet other’s cann unnerstan u

so like hit meup homes an’ lemme half like tin oar 12ok¿

January 19, 2021 7:36 PM MST

Should of instead of should have.
    Anyways instead of anyway.
    Awhile/alright instead of a while/all right.
    I was like instead of I said.
      January 19, 2021 8:04 PM MST

So, it’s pretty annoying that the word “well” has been replaced with the word “so”.
    I seen.
    I had seent.
    I like-ed it.
    I had look-ed all over for it.
    Her and I went there.
    Me and her went there.
    Him and her went there.
    Jim and me went there.
    We went over John an’ them house.
    What are your guy’s opinions on it?
    It went pretty bad.
    (How are you?) I’m doing good.
    It was more gooder last time.
    I’ll try to make it more better in the future.
    Its more heavier then i thot it wood bee.
    You done good, boy, raght good.

to, too, two
    toe, toe
    their, there, they’re
    yore, your, you’re
    were, where, we’re, wear

bit/bitten
    than/then
    take/took/takes/taken
    rite/right/write
    its/it’s
    was/were
    waist/waste
    weak/week
    every day/everyday
    whose/who’s 
    who/whom
    wrote/written

in laws, mother in law, father in law, daughter in law, etc.

gonna wanna dunno coulda woulda shoulda lemme alot thru rite nite prolly heighth git their’s his’n her’s your’s our’s hissen his’s tooken 

Placing an apostrophe on a plural noun, making it a possessive singular noun (he put the book’s over there).

Lack of ending punctuation on sentences 

Misuse, overuse, or, other, types, of, abuses, of, commas.

Neglecting to place commas or other punctuation marks for that matter in between clauses where there should have been placed such as when listing items differentiating between objects in sentences or for that matter any instance or instances where they are appropriate needed required or helpful.

Misuse “of” quotation marks.

Excessive punctuation drives me crazy!!!!!

THE WILLY-NILLY USE OF ALL-CAPS.

failure to use uppercase letters at the beginning of sentences written in english, and while we‘re at it, failure to capitalize names of persons, places, and things that should be capitalized.

—-

January 20, 2021 1:39 AM MST

Good to know.  Very good to know.  I’ll start incorporating some of these into my writing right away.
      January 20, 2021 9:37 PM MST

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

January 20, 2021 11:34 PM MST

There are several but the worst one is the incorrect use of would have.  I hear it everywhere including any kind of media.   People, please stop avoiding the word had.  Would have never follows if or wish. 

Wrong:  I wish I would have passed the test.
    Correct:  I wish I had passed the test.

Correct:  If I had turned off the stove I would still have a home.  
    Wrong:  If I would have turned off the stove I would still have a home.

Correct usage for would have:  I would have been so excited to see your new baby. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at January 21, 2021 4:13 AM MST
      January 20, 2021 7:05 AM MST

I think "would of" is worse than that. Why do people use "of" instead of "have"? I've never been able to get that. Not only do they sound different, they don't even have any letters in common.
      January 20, 2021 3:58 PM MST

When you hear would of it's probably a mispronounced would've which is would have which is what I'm talking about here.  In print it's usually would have.  It sounds so ignorant but has permeated society.  It's another failure of schools.  They are more interested in creating political beings rather than educated productive citizens. 

I wish we would have moved sooner.  Doesn't that make you want to scream?  That really makes me want to scream!!!!!  Put HAD back into your vocabulary!   (Not just you, I mean everyone.)
      January 21, 2021 9:18 AM MST

"When you hear would of it's probably a mispronounced would've which is would have which is what I'm talking about here".

Where I come from our regional accent makes it obvious that one of them has an "a" sound and the other has an "o" sound. Here in the north we are known for or clearly-pronounced vowels, we don't mangle them or slur them so it's practically impossible to phonetically mistake "have" for "of".

"I wish we would have moved sooner".

Where I live we say "I wish we'd moved sooner".

Another annoying thing that seems to have permeated society is this tendency to misuse the word "you", as in "Not just you, I mean everyone". Why have people forgotten that the word "you" is a personal pronoun?
      January 21, 2021 4:23 PM MST

This is not about how people speak in different areas.  It's about what is proper.  It is correct to say I wish we'd moved sooner....that is correctly using had rather than would have.  

You
    is correctly used to address your audience, regardless of the number of individuals.   Check your favorite dictionary.

January 22, 2021 3:25 AM MST

???????????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or is that a punctual error? I hate it! A bunch of unnecessary emotional tripe. But I understand. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at January 31, 2021 2:29 PM MST
      January 20, 2021 5:15 PM MST

I notice grammatical errors, but none of them really bother me. 
      January 20, 2021 8:13 PM MST