Active Now

Element 99
Spunky
DannyPetti
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » As a kid did you play with water pistols and cap guns? Were they tons of fun? Do you "play" with real guns as an adult?

As a kid did you play with water pistols and cap guns? Were they tons of fun? Do you "play" with real guns as an adult?

Didja have more fun playing with toys that do not kill people? Or is part of the fun not knowing?

Posted - April 16, 2021

Responses

The lesser bilby is extinct, the greater bilby and quoll are critically endangered. Rabbits, cats and foxes are the reason. They don't belong here and state sponsored culling just doesn't go far enough. "Innocent" and "defenseless" are relative - they are certainly guilty of destroying an environment not suited to them, and have "defenses" that outgun anything native.
      April 19, 2021 4:08 PM MDT

:)
      April 20, 2021 7:06 AM MDT

If you call target shooting playing...yes. 

April 16, 2021 7:20 AM MDT

Good point. I didn't really think about it that way. Although target practice is important to me, it can be fun as well. :)
      April 16, 2021 1:08 PM MDT

Skeet shooting or something else? Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      April 17, 2021 3:32 AM MDT

Cans or whatever is around.  Skeet costs money. Tin cans are free. :)
      April 17, 2021 5:43 AM MDT

Oh good point. Thank you for your reply. Did you get to be a lot better? Do you consider yourself to be a "good" shooter? Can you hit a target you aim at all of the time? Inquiring minds wanna know.  :)
      April 17, 2021 6:01 AM MDT

Most of the time I can hit it. But not everytime. 
      April 17, 2021 7:51 AM MDT

Good point. :)
      April 27, 2021 1:05 PM MDT

No!  My parents forbid us to play with any kind of toy gun or toys that referred to any kind of violence (such as army men, GI Joe, cap bombs, even water balloons). 
    My mom also discouraged us from playing with one of our cousins,simply because his father let him play with toy guns (and he was a rather violent child).
      April 16, 2021 10:59 AM MDT

I'm that parent Shuhak. I wouldn't have a toy gun in the house. "BANG BANG YOU'RE DEAD" were not the words I wanted to hear coming out of the mouth of my son under any circumstances. But there was a downside. He was 3 and playing within my sight in our front yard in Long Beach where we lived temporarily. Two neighborhood little boys ran toward him shooting cap guns. He started screaming in terror and ran inside. I felt terrible so I think we bought him a water pistol and explained the difference between playtoys and the real thing. Most little kids think when you're dead you just get up and walk away. My son didn't think that at all. He understood what DEAD meant. You're dam*ed if you do and dam*ed if you don't sometimes. I still remember his face. That's not something a parent ever forgets. Thank you for your reply Shuhak and Happy Saturday to thee and thine! :)
      April 17, 2021 3:44 AM MDT

Water pistols and cap guns are toys, and I played with them. Real guns are not toys, so I don't play with them. I shoot them, clean them and keep them in battery. Not counting my air guns, I own 54 guns that shoot projectiles with powder. 
      April 16, 2021 11:07 AM MDT

You own 54 of something? So that would make you a collector? May I ask why so many? I've loved unicorns since I was 16 so I have a lot of them. In pictures and books and statues. I might possibly have 54 of them but I don't do anything with them except look at them. Where do you store them? Are they varied in terms of bullet size? Do you have one that is prized? Are they all locked up unloaded? Sorry for the questioning but I'm perplexed about why you would buy 54 of anything. Thank you for your reply Wolfhound and Happy Saturday to thee and thine. No disrespect intended here. This post was edited by RosieG at April 19, 2021 8:53 AM MDT
      April 17, 2021 3:47 AM MDT

I like guns, all kinds of guns. I have guns from .22 to .50 caliber. .380, 9mm, .45 Colts, .30-30, 7.62x54r Russian Mosin Nagants, .45 and .50 cal. flintlocks, and others. Cartridge guns, flintlocks, cap and ball revolvers, .45 Colt cowboy guns. Lever action, pump action, single shot, and semi auto rifles and handguns. Most are modern, a few are antique. I have guns that were made in the USA, Russia, China, Italy, Germany, Brazil, and a few other places. Most are unloaded but I keep four loaded and they are all in my bedroom/gunroom. None are locked up. I live here with my little bird, and he's not going to play with them. My prize is my Remington New Army .44 cal. cap and ball revolver made in 1860 and used in the Civil War. It still shoots. 
      April 19, 2021 9:10 AM MDT

Wow! You just overwhelmed me m'dear. I have seen beautiful antique guns on The Antiques Roadshow or on Pawn Stars. I don't know if any gun manufacturers make BEAUTIFUL guns today. I think they just make them to kill faster requiring bigger rounds. Slay 'em. Mow 'em down. Shoot to kill. That's what I think of when the subject is guns. I do appreciate your kindness in going to the trouble to explain what you do own. Do you have a shooting range nearby that you visit regularly? Are you a good shot? Are all of the weapons shootable . I don't know if there is such a word. I suppose gun collecting is the same as stamp collecting or coin collecting. I used to collect Unicorns. The good thing about them is you can't kill anything with them. Have a great Tuesday Wolfhound and again thanks for not getting cranky or sarcastic. It helps to know WHY people do things and I always appreciate those who will take the time to explain it to me! :)
      April 20, 2021 2:46 AM MDT

When I want to shoot, I just go on my porch and shoot. I live in the country. Am I a good shot? I'll put it this way, I wouldn't want to shoot at me at 100 yards away, the chances are good that I'll hit myself. All of my guns do shoot, but I have two that I will not shoot. I have an older revolver that shoots the .38 S&W that the hammer won't lock in the fire position, so that's totally unsafe to shoot, but it will shoot. I also have an antique revolver that shoots the .32 rimfire. When I cock the hammer back, the cylinder doesn't revolve, so it's either the hand or the hand spring. I have 110 rounds of ammo for it, and if I was to shoot them, I would not be able to replace them. They stopped making .32 rimfire cartridges at the start of us entering WWII. Occasionally, special limited runs of .32 rimfire ammunition are manufactured for gun collectors with shootable specimens, but the round is not considered a current commercial cartridge. Navy Arms Company had periodically imported .32 Rimfire Long made by CBC in Brazil until 2014. The other 52 guns are good to go. I also do collect stamps and coins, and I have a small collection of microscopes. I had a girlfriend that collected unicorns, but she doesn't collect them anymore. She was killed back in 1990. 
       You also have a great Tuesday and an awesome rest of the week. I have no reason or desire to be cranky or sarcastic, I usually save that for Facebook, and yes, it does put me in Facebook jail.  

This is one of my favorite songs. 

This post was edited by Wolfhound at April 27, 2021 11:47 AM MDT
      April 27, 2021 11:37 AM MDT

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry Wolfhound. Condolences on your loss so long ago. I won't pry and ask any questions. But I KNOW she and I would have gotten along quite well. Know why? Other than me I have never heard of or known anyone who collected Unicorns. So I feel a loss there retroactively. I bet she was someone I could talk to. I bet she would get me as you seem to. Isn't it funny odd how life works? Sad and tragic. Sometimes we are ships in the night just passing by. Sometimes we learn about people who existed about whom we never know until they passed and we feel a loss. Why? I have no idea. Thank you for your informative reply. What was her name if that isn't too pushy? :)
      April 27, 2021 11:51 AM MDT

Her name was Shirley Ann Edwards. She was a sister of a friend of mine. 
      April 27, 2021 8:08 PM MDT

Thank you for telling me her name Wolfhound. Now she exists for me too. Someone who adored unicorns and collected them. Just like me. Happy Wednesday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 30, 2021 1:36 AM MDT
      April 28, 2021 2:37 AM MDT

Yes, I had a lot of fun playing with water pistols and cap guns when I was a kid. Contrary to the popular belief of the many gun haters out there, people who buy guns in the United States buy them for three primary reasons; hunting, defense, and target shooting. I don't see "playing with them" on that list.

I've been around firearms all of my life and at no time did anyone ever "play" with them. Gun safety and maintenance were always paramount just as it is with me now. No playing allowed.
      April 16, 2021 1:04 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply ru and Happy Saturday to you and yours. Hunting. Defense. Target shooting. I don't hunt. I'm not afraid so no need to have one for defense. And target shooting makes no sense to me. Not my thing. So none of your reasons apply to folks like me. Different strokes ru. Very different strokes.
      April 17, 2021 3:50 AM MDT

I used to hunt but haven't done so in years. When my family went hunting we either kept the meat and ate it ourselves or gave it to others who had little. Target shooting for me is a necessity because I carry. I carry not out of fear for myself but for the protection of my family, friends, and anyone that may need defending from an armed assailant.

Speaking as a former police officer, you have to realize that the police can't be everywhere at once and they usually get there after the fact. So legally armed citizens can be a plus and our Sherrif Department recognized that fact.
      April 27, 2021 1:04 PM MDT

Real guns are not toys, they're tools. And I have a lot of tools in my tool box. 
      April 27, 2021 11:40 AM MDT

I agree real guns aren't toys. I learned that at a young age.
      April 27, 2021 12:46 PM MDT

I did play with them as a kid but that changed with our sons and our grandkids (they didn't have toy guns to play with). Cheers!
      April 19, 2021 9:13 AM MDT