Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Sports » If you could become a professionaal athlete, what sport would you choose?

If you could become a professionaal athlete, what sport would you choose?

Posted - June 18, 2021

Responses

I think I would like pole vaulting.
      June 18, 2021 3:28 PM MDT

I wonder what the Poles would think about that.
      June 18, 2021 3:50 PM MDT

They might consider it to be revolting. 

~

June 18, 2021 4:48 PM MDT

They all do it.
      June 18, 2021 4:51 PM MDT

Couch potato.  (I'm already of olympic calibur)
      June 18, 2021 4:45 PM MDT

calibur caliber (American) calibre (English)
      June 19, 2021 12:03 AM MDT

Calbur (redneck)
      June 19, 2021 7:05 AM MDT

In retrospect, there was a time when I first became interested in (American gridiron) football, I wanted to be a wide receiver for the NFL (US National Football League) once I grew up. I learned that various football players specialize in their preferred positions largely based on physique or build, and I was definitely not destined to weigh 240 to 300 pounds and become a lineman, but I certainly had the runner’s body and speed to carry the ball across goal lines. Being about 6 years old at the time, I didn’t realize all the steps necessary to make that dream a possibility. I never played football beyond the front yards on our block along with my equally  unprepared brothers and some boys from the neighborhood. I never joined any organized teams or leagues, I never practiced the sport, I did absolutely nothing that would lead me to the NFL. In school, I was a bookworm from preschool to the twelfth grade, I didn’t join teams there either. My fleeting dream of my name in lights for my on-field highlights was dashed with a couple of years of its inception.

Right about the same time of the football vision, Arthur Ashe rose to fame in the tennis world, and many inner-city minority children were truly inspired to play the sport themselves. The opportunities to do so were hard to come by, especially due to the cost. A recreation center all the way across town began offering tennis lessons to “underprivileged youths”, there was a registration fee and equipment fee. They hired the best instructors they could so that the classes could be a serious effort to turn out good tennis players, so the program was geared toward kids who were really serious about doing well. That meant that all costs for the entire season had to be paid in advance to stave off those kids who might lose interest and drop out. I was burning to go; I wanted to be the world’s next Arthur Ashe. Alas, it was not to be, my family couldn’t afford the three payouts, registration, equipment, and public transportation (there were no monthly bus passes nor student discount bus passes back then where I lived). I could not go.

Now when we talk about The Grammar Olympic Games . . .
    ~

June 18, 2021 5:23 PM MDT

A tennis racquet is cheap. Evonne Goolagong couldn't have become a champion otherwise, like most native Australians, her family was dirt poor. She was fortunate on two counts: to have escaped state-sponsored kidnapping (the so-called "Stolen Generation"), and to have her obvious natural talent recognised and nurtured from a young age.
    She also believes in giving back to the sport that gave her so much - she's been a mentor to a generation of starry-eyed kids, including current women's #1 Ashleigh Barty.
      June 19, 2021 12:09 AM MDT

Is your point to rebut my post? I didn’t state that a raquet is or is not cheap, I stated that the final analysis was that we couldn’t afford the cumulative costs.

June 19, 2021 7:13 AM MDT

Evonne was discovered hitting a ball against a brick wall when the other kids got tired of being thrashed by her - using a racquet with loose (and some broken and missing) strings. Cost, nil. Some say that the dilapidated nature of said racquet that contributed to the deftness of her touch - she hit almost impossibly late, with pinpoint accuracy but not too much power. Heavy hits would have destroyed that racquet. The court was a rolled patch of dirt - Barellan, like a lot of country towns in Australia, was frequently plagued by drought.
    Given the prevalence of stickball, couldn't something similar have been done with tennis in the street?
      June 19, 2021 8:10 PM MDT

We couldn’t afford the cumulative costs.

June 19, 2021 10:56 PM MDT

Neither could Evonne, had there been any. No programs in the States to foster talent?
      June 20, 2021 1:04 AM MDT

You keep insisting and keep insisting. I am not nor have I recounted anyone else’s experience on this topic. I do not know what other people experienced, so I cannot comment on them or on it. Furthermore, this happened when I was a small child, I can’t even remember how old I was, I may have been as young as 8, but either way, I had no control over the situation. There were factors at hand that prevented it from happening for me, and whether or not I know all of them, whether or not I extolled all of them here, whether or not I pine on it half a century later, there is no force on earth that will or can or could change what had already taken place. I am far beyond the age to today take advantage of a children’s program that most likely doesn’t even exist any longer, I no longer live in that city nor in that state, there is no possibility nor probability that it’s even relevant to look into it today with any chance that it will make a difference, any chance that it will have a different outcome than has already transpired. You providing examples of what other people did will not change my past. You continually beat this dead horse and I don’t know what point you’re trying to get me to make for you or what supposed agreement from me you are seeking. I have clearly stated what I have to state and I have reiterated the bottom line. You have made your point again and again, and it has absolutely nothing to do with what happened with me personally.  You do not have the power or ability to change the past in general, and especially not my past specifically. No amount of browbeating or pleading or presentation of other experiences will get you a different or better or acquiesced response from me. Had I wanted to remark on what happened with other people, that’s what I would have written. I am quite capable of expressing myself in clear and unequivocal ways if and when that is my intent. If you choose to display how other people did what they did, that is both your right and your prerogative, it has nothing to do with me deciding what I want to write. If and when you show that you want to continue here along the same path you have chosen so far, fine, please understand beforehand that my message is a quite simple one and will not waver: we couldn’t afford the cumulative costs.

June 20, 2021 1:31 AM MDT

Dog-walking. 
      June 18, 2021 5:39 PM MDT

tennis
      June 18, 2021 5:57 PM MDT

I used to be pretty good at beach volleyball.
      June 18, 2021 7:30 PM MDT

Cricket. I love the game, but I was lousy at it (and then my back fell apart, so I could no longer bend over a bat). I AM a professional umpire.

I was a decent amateur boxer, but never had any intention of turning pro. Professional boxers get punchy. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at August 26, 2022 5:40 PM MDT
      June 18, 2021 11:05 PM MDT

Other people who love the game of cricket are good at playing it, so why not you?

June 20, 2021 1:34 AM MDT

I would choose Mumbley Peg. 

June 19, 2021 12:33 AM MDT

I would be a professionaal swimmeer.
      June 19, 2021 6:39 AM MDT

Baseball
      June 19, 2021 4:00 PM MDT

Swimming, as I love the water. I already use the public pool often, but I'm not a professional.
      June 19, 2021 11:27 PM MDT

Snowshoe volleyball. Playing volleyball in winter when snow is four feet deep wearing snowshoes.
      June 19, 2021 11:56 PM MDT