Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Danilo_G
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What are some situations in which someone says, “Don’t Panic”, yet people panic anyway? ~

What are some situations in which someone says, “Don’t Panic”, yet people panic anyway? ~

Posted - July 9, 2021

Responses

Fire
    Sinking boat
    Loved one unconscious
    Threat of war
    Cat 5 hurriane
    F6 tornado
    Child's whereabouts unknown
      July 9, 2021 10:24 PM MDT

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.
    ~

July 10, 2021 7:46 AM MDT

Work
      July 9, 2021 11:21 PM MDT

Being at a gathering on the 75th floor when the building starts tipping over further and further.

Trapped working in a mine two miles underground that has begun to collapse and water is gushing in.
      July 10, 2021 12:37 AM MDT

Both of those would certainly do it!
      ~

July 10, 2021 7:44 AM MDT

Just hearing the words "don't panic" is probably enough for me. 
      July 10, 2021 3:55 AM MDT

Remain calm; it’s no big deal, it’s just Randy D dropping in for a surprise visit, you don’t even have to get dressed. 

~

July 10, 2021 7:43 AM MDT

Oh, okay, then. 
      July 10, 2021 7:47 PM MDT

~

July 10, 2021 7:55 PM MDT

July 10, 2021 8:06 AM MDT

They’re after your whiskey supply again, I see. I completely understand your need to keep them out.
    ~

July 10, 2021 8:08 AM MDT

(I know you find little mistakes in movies and TV shows -  - this wouldn't really qualify as a mistake, per se, but just a quasi-pet peeve for me: - - one of many things I love about George Romero's original "Night of the Living Dead" is that ALL of the living dead just slowly shuffle around with no facial expressions at all -- just like a lifeless come-back-to-life living form. Some of these living dead in that picture are too full of emotion and energy to scare me, ha.

Yet, I do realize, after 1968's "Night of the Living Dead, "there have been all sorts of "variations" of "living dead"  --  including"28 Days Later"  in which the hordes actually run. And I think in that movie they are not "dead" - - they have been infected by something.

Blahblah -- I'm done for now
      July 10, 2021 7:12 PM MDT

I used to wonder, that when people are running rapidly away from the zombies, how did the zombies always seem to be right behind them.
      July 11, 2021 8:19 AM MDT

Yes!   :)

And in Romero's original, a TV reporter interviews a sheriff on the TV that the people in the farmhouse are watching (the people are in the farmhouse don't know what's going on, which adds to the fright for me, and they're watching news reports on the TV) - - anyway, the reporter asks a sheriff about what one should do if one comes across these creatures and the sheriff says, "Yeah, they're easy to get away from. They move slowly - - they're dead -- they're all messed up."

:)

From what I've read, I think the actor portraying the sheriff had adlibbed that line and Romero loved it and they kept it in.

I could go on and on - - but, as I look at your photo again -- like I said, I admit there are several other manifestations of the living dead that I like in movies. And there are other kinds where the dead do move quickly and they are scary to me, I guess. I don't so much like the "I need brains" ones.

But the fear I feel in the other movies is not the same kind of dreadful deep scare I feel with those silent slow-moving original ones in the original movie.  :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at July 11, 2021 11:41 PM MDT
      July 11, 2021 3:38 PM MDT

Hey...you're the expert. I would have never noticed such things. This post was edited by Element 99 at July 11, 2021 11:41 PM MDT
      July 11, 2021 4:09 PM MDT

:)

And none of the living dead in the original catch up with any of the living, if the living are quickly moving.  :)   

And, also, in cool-but-scary ways - - a big part of the fright of the original is that We the Living are sometimes are own worst enemies, which makes it all the more frightening. :)

The movie was filmed in Evans City, Pennsylvania.  Yeah, I've been there several times, ha.

I could go on and on . . .     :)
      July 11, 2021 7:13 PM MDT