Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » What were the circumstances under which you received your first citation for a moving violation as a motorist?

What were the circumstances under which you received your first citation for a moving violation as a motorist?

[~]

Posted - September 23, 2021

Responses

I'm a good driver.  I've never received a citation (knock on wood). 
      September 23, 2021 11:04 AM MDT

I got nailed for going through a red light and I decided to contest the charge. I explained to the judge that at a certain speed approaching a red light can cause a red shift making the light appear green. So then that smart prosecutor explained to the judge the fact that I would have to be traveling at least 250,000 mph to achieve that effect. So the judge fined me for speeding.
      September 23, 2021 11:24 AM MDT

That happened in 1972. I was late for work and I passed someone on a double yellow line. The State Police got me. I had to appear before the local judge and pay my fine. That was the only citation/ticket I ever received in my 54 years of driving. This is surprising considering my first new car was a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner. :)
      September 23, 2021 11:31 AM MDT

My first moving violation was a camera ticket for going through a red light.  I was on the way to my nephew's wedding, in an area which was unfamiliar to me, and while trying to see the very small street sign, didn't realize that the light had turned red.  Second was a camera light for making a right on red where it wasn't permitted and third is a camera ticket for going through a red light.  There was an enormous truck in front of me which blocked the light on my side of the street as well as on the opposite side and I couldn't see the lights above the top of the truck.  By the time I could, I had gone through the light.  I am contesting the ticket and my appearance will be  December 21st. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at September 23, 2021 9:11 PM MDT
      September 23, 2021 12:19 PM MDT

Dec 10, 1969. Hawley St, Toledo, Ohio. Icy road. I went around a curve, lost control and hit a parked car. I still have the 'ticket'.
      September 23, 2021 2:26 PM MDT

Hello Mr. Element; how are you?
      September 23, 2021 4:48 PM MDT

ok...thanks.
      September 24, 2021 11:09 AM MDT

• I received my first traffic ticket when I was 17.  It was the same day my driver's license was first issued to me.  I didn't completely stop for a PARE (STOP) sign.  If I stopped completely, I would have had to wait for the line of cars to pass on the main street.  I received my second traffic citation when I was 18.  I passed four cars with double yellow lines in the centre of the highway.  My last ticket was two years ago.  The police officer said I was texting and driving.  I wasn't.  I hired a lawyer who convinced the judge that I wasn't texting and driving, so I wasn't convicted.  My last traffic conviction was a few years ago.  I was driving 157 km/h.  The speed limit was 130 km/h.  I avoid traffic tickets now.  My car insurance is now cheaper.
      September 23, 2021 9:01 PM MDT

Never.  

I have been pulled over for moving violations but never received a ticket. 

I have gotten a warning, ticket for a license plate light being out, and a seat belt ticket instead of the speeding ticket.

And a warning for a rolling stop.  This post was edited by my2cents at September 24, 2021 11:10 AM MDT
      September 24, 2021 8:56 AM MDT

I've had two speeding tickets.  One was ridiculous too, something like going 63 in a 60.  The other was going 41 in a 35.  The cop kept saying he was sure he knew me from somewhere and I was exhausted and said to him, If you're going to give me a ticket, do....I'm exhausted.    He gave me a ticket.  Both over 30 years ago and do not even show up on my "full" DMV report.  I had to get that report and submit with application to take a state exam.  I asked the clerk why my tickets were not on the report; she said they age off.  I didn't know that but do now.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at September 24, 2021 5:38 PM MDT
      September 24, 2021 4:51 PM MDT

Crossing a double line.

I was en route from Lake Haven (north of Sydney) to Warrnambool, a distance of 1200 km. I had stopped in Echuca (angle parking, nose to kerb) at a greasy spoon to grab a bite to eat. While parked, a truck parked in the space next to me.
    When it came time to leave, the truck was still there and I had no idea how long it would stay - so I had to reverse out wide, to avoid hitting it. I crossed the centre line of the road by no more than eighteen inches - as a police patrol car came into view around a corner.
    Interstate plates on the car, so the cop knew I wouldn't be coming back to contest it. Had I turned any more tightly, I would have hit the truck. I suppose said cop had a quota to meet or something.
      September 24, 2021 11:35 PM MDT

I don't remember.  
      September 25, 2021 5:33 AM MDT

I'll let you know when/if it ever happens.
      September 25, 2021 4:17 PM MDT