Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » If power went out in your residence and neighborhood, what would you find to eat that did not need to be heated up?

If power went out in your residence and neighborhood, what would you find to eat that did not need to be heated up?

Posted - October 28, 2021

Responses

I have a loaf of bread and several cans of tuna, chicken, pancake mix, peanut butter.
      October 28, 2021 2:00 PM MDT

What would you do with the pancake mix?
      October 28, 2021 4:55 PM MDT

My stove is gas.  
      October 28, 2021 6:10 PM MDT

Lol!

~

October 28, 2021 8:04 PM MDT

I can cook without power too but tried to answer as if I had no secondary way to  cook.    We had gas stove and water heater growing up and in my first apartment after marrying and leaving home.   One of my husband's company's apartment buildings  burned down due to gas.  The fire didn't start with gas but the fire nor the gas departments were able to cut off the gas to the building and the gas just fed the fire.  I swore I would never again live in a building with gas.  I haven't. 
      October 29, 2021 2:56 PM MDT

What little cooking I do, I prefer gas and it's less expensive than electric. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at October 29, 2021 6:03 PM MDT
      October 29, 2021 5:59 PM MDT

Soup, tuna fish, bread with a little honey, oatmeal once it was soaked long enough in the water. Fruits and vegetables, seeds and nuts, etc.
      October 28, 2021 2:07 PM MDT

Canned chicken, tuna, beans and fruit, peanut butter, crackers, and raw oatmeal.

October 28, 2021 2:41 PM MDT

(((Psssst! Shuhak. Shuhak, over here. It’s me, Randy D, your old pal. No, the other way, over your right shoulder. I’m back here, hidden in the shadows of this dark alley. Don’t turn around, they could be watching you for all we know! Just act natural and listen to me. If you react, they’ll know I warned you. No, there’s time for questions right now, this might be your last chance to get away. Act nonchalant and listen to what I have to say.
      The cats are behind the power outage. They had a group of stray cats take over the main power plant and a few power substations, then they knocked over the power relay grid. It’s all been planned out, but it’s only the first step! They plan to control humans as their big finale, they’re more organized than you’d ever believe! The worst part, Shuhak, is that YOUR CAT IS THE RINGLEADER! Don’t react, I said, they could have twenty pairs of eyes on you and you’d never even know it! Try to look vapid, it’s the only way they’re used to seeing you.
      Anyway, your cat and the neighbor lady’s Siamese, you know, Mrs. Candribbopemilis-Harequej, the two of them have been organizing all the cats for three of four surrounding states, we don’t stand a chance unless we act now. Don’t look in my direction, I said, they’re looking for me too, you know. I’ve figured out how we can defeat them. Luckily, Slart is on our side and I’ve convinced him to deliver a shipment of Vegemite to Catalina Island this weekend. Cats hate Vegemite, it drugs them. Savvy Ansley knows where we can get a boat, and Livvie has agreed to be our lookout. Where are you going? Stay right there and take this seriously, Shuhak!
      You get as many of those canned goods as possible into the abandoned precinct building of the Grammar Police Force that closed down after the ACLU sued on behalf of Valley girls and hip-hop rappers, Stu Bee will let you in. Slart is paying me 12,000 tildes to turn my back while he smuggles the Vegemite in. A women’s shelter from Canada is sending a slew of serial ex-wives to open the 600 Vegemite containers and mix it with your cat food. Their leader recently convinced her boss to let her work from home, so she has time to sneak into California. Stop sighing like that, I know her, but it’s a long story and we don’t have time right now. Element 99 has concocted a formula that will be added into the mixture at the last second just as you’re luring the cats in. SpunkySenior will handle the communications and computer backup, Welby Quentin is in charge of disguises, and Kittigate has the explosives and munitions. Cosmic Wunderkind will distract the enemy and BB will provide our fake IDs. Quit rolling your eyes, I can hear it from here. This is real, Shu, I’ve thought through every step of it. 
      Now for the really bad news.  Here’s what we’re going to do with your cat and the Siamese once this is all done with . . . )))

~

October 29, 2021 12:01 AM MDT

It's ok officer, I'm just out here by myself having a smoke.
      October 29, 2021 1:27 PM MDT

((((Er, um, Shuhak? I don’t think you’re dealing with a real police officer there.))))

~

October 29, 2021 1:48 PM MDT

The fuzz!
      October 29, 2021 1:52 PM MDT

((((I wonder if your own cat dropped the dime on you?))))

~

October 29, 2021 1:55 PM MDT

Narc! 
      October 29, 2021 1:58 PM MDT

Salad, cooked turkey, can of beans and fresh fruit.
      October 28, 2021 3:48 PM MDT

Salad, peanut butter sandwich, diced raw vegetables (maybe with a little ranch dressing), houmous, cheese with or without bread, banana, clementines, canned pineapple or peaches. 
      October 28, 2021 5:00 PM MDT

Wait, did someone say “sandwich”? Why, of course I accept your invitation! I am Randolph D, after all!

~

October 28, 2021 8:07 PM MDT

I'll remember that when the power goes out.  I have both propane and butane emergency/camp stoves so I could actually prepare anything I want.   Being prepared is just part of people who have always lived in tornado alley and/or hurricane heaven.  I did a break while living in NW.
      October 29, 2021 2:50 PM MDT

~

October 29, 2021 2:50 PM MDT

I can plain vegetable soup. Pancake powder and high fructose syrup. White cake mix. 9 eggs. 9/10ths of a wheat bread loaf. 3 cans of tuna and one can of crabmeat. One and half boxes of bran cereal. 2 cans of Goya red kidney beans. A half block of orange medium cheddar cheese. A few blueberries. Blueberry muffin mix. A few raw bacon strips. Caramel spread. Whole milk. Fruit juice. Peas. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at October 28, 2021 9:06 PM MDT
      October 28, 2021 8:11 PM MDT

We have so many options here to address a conundrum like that that they’re far too numerous to list fully. Fresh fruits and vegetables, breads and other grains, wrapped sandwiches, canned goods that are already fully cooked, loads upon loads of chocolate, beverages, water, much, much more. Also, just like SpunkySenior, our stove is gas, so we’re cooking with it! (As a back-up, there’s always my wood-burning microwave oven. I’m too old fashioned to ever let that relic go!)
    ~

October 28, 2021 8:19 PM MDT

I'm more worried about spoilage. The stove is gas, but the fridge needs power. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at October 29, 2021 1:10 AM MDT
      October 29, 2021 12:40 AM MDT

You could get bags of ice from the supermarket and stuff them in the fridge to keep stuff cold.
      October 29, 2021 1:13 AM MDT

It's likely out there too. My son had to evacuate the local department store yesterday - a huge storm hit, hail clogged the drains and water was pouring through the lightning fixtures.
      October 29, 2021 1:17 AM MDT