Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Have you ever googled yourself? I came up blank, although there were a large number of guys with my name.

Have you ever googled yourself? I came up blank, although there were a large number of guys with my name.

Posted - December 10, 2021

Responses

A few people with similar names to mine. I googled Kittigate and found that I am 'Our favorite mugger' on Answermug.
      December 10, 2021 9:44 AM MST

I Googled element 99 and got Einsteinium. I thought you were kidding. This post was edited by Element 99 at December 10, 2021 2:13 PM MST
      December 10, 2021 10:13 AM MST

They said I was their favorite mugger too.
      December 10, 2021 1:49 PM MST

I guess we all are equally favored muggers.
      December 10, 2021 1:59 PM MST

Just did it.  Lots of photos, but none are of me.  
      December 10, 2021 10:52 AM MST

I did it once about two or three years after Google had become a big deal and one of the trendy activities was to enter one’s own name as a keyword search. I don’t remember the specifics of what I found, I believe it was kind of underwhelming, which suited me just fine. I have absolutely no desire to be located online, heck, I don’t even want to be located offline or in real life, so I maintain as low of a profile as possible. I like to be information-resistant.

In more recent years since I conducted that first search, Google and everything else about the internet exploded into much more intrusive meddling into everyday life, so I’ve been even more reluctant than before to check myself out. I have a sneaking suspicion that if I search my information, it might be the impetus for Randy D* hits and sightings. Homey don’t play dat.

*That’s not my real identity.

December 10, 2021 11:26 AM MST

• I thought I was the only person with my first and last name.  I just Googled myself.  I share my first name and last name with a woman in Spain who owns a boutique.  My last name is Italian.  I didn't know that there were any people in Spain who have my last name until now.
      December 10, 2021 4:14 PM MST

Might be fun to contact her.
      December 10, 2021 4:18 PM MST

Hold on, this brings up so many questions!

What kinds of sandwiches do they make in Italy? Is the tilde exchange rate better in Milan or in Rome? Are there any houses with basements I might be able to rent? Will the Italian Customs agency confiscate my vats of US-made massage oils? Is my grammar cop badge valid in Italy for the English language? Does Jane S ever vacation in Italy, and if so, where does she usually stay? How do you say, “No mayonnaise and no guacamole” in Italian? Why don’t I already have a chapter of The Harem there? Oh, never mind why; I’ll just start one when I get there. Nobody is going to tell Livvie that I’ve gone to Italy, right? Grrrrrrrr.
    ~

December 10, 2021 4:51 PM MST

Italy? She said Spain.
      December 11, 2021 8:12 AM MST

I know, and she also said her last name is Italian. Try to keep up.
    ~

December 11, 2021 10:19 AM MST

What does one's name have to do with one's residence?
      December 11, 2021 11:20 AM MST

I neither stated nor implied nor intimated nor inferred that anyone’s name had anything to do with his or her residence, nor did I suggest that I was going to anyone’s residence. I merely meant that because she had mentioned Italy, that’s where (jokingly) I was headed.
    ~

December 11, 2021 6:14 PM MST

• They can make any kind of sandwich you want.  Both Spanish and Italian use á, é, í, ó and ú, so you may exchange those anywhere.  Check Airbnb.  Your vats of massage oil will need to be handled by a shipping company.  Your grammar cop badge is valid anywhere you say it's valid.  I don't know, you need to ask Jane S.  Niente maionese, niente guacamole per favore.  I didn't have the chance to tell Livvie.  She was going to the airport to board a flight to Rome.

December 11, 2021 5:17 PM MST

¡You didn’t mention the ñ! My stocks and bonds portfolios are all tied up in the ~ ; not in any of the other accent marks! I’ll be ruined financially!

I can’t stay at any AirBnB locations ever again; their organization has banned me worldwide after that nasty incident in Lisbon involving the grandniece of the Thai ambassador (grrrrrrrr).

I hope the shipping companies offer climate-controlled options; these particular massage oils must remain at body temperature or they’ll begin to go bad after 12 hours.

Jane S won’t speak to me other than to remind me (yet again) about restraining orders and the chemical strength of the latest mace and pepper spray products (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr). I guess I’ll just have to kidnap her travel agent to find the information I need.

Thank you for the Italian translation I asked for.

Wait, Livvie is at the airport and boarding a flight to Rome? Quick, someone have my valet contact my personal secretary immediately to have all of my reservations changed from Rome to Milan. ASAP! Don’t just sit there staring at the screen, this urgent, it’s a bonafide emergency! Every step and precaution must be taken to ensure that my path doesn’t cross with Livvie’s! Grrrrrrr.

~

December 11, 2021 6:55 PM MST

• La (~) es la tilde de la eñe o la virgulilla de la eñe.  Las tildes son el apóstrofo, la cedilla, y el acento agudo.  La Ñ es la 15a letra del alfabeto.

December 11, 2021 8:08 PM MST

Sí, con razón. En inglés, nos referimos a ella como un solo símbolo. Es usted que tiene la razón.
    ~

December 11, 2021 10:00 PM MST

Don’t get her started about our misuse of Spanish words, Randy.  My husband already had a debate with the waitress about the definition of queso, thanks to Martina.

This post was edited by Livvie at December 12, 2021 2:35 PM MST
      December 12, 2021 11:55 AM MST

¡Jajajaja! (That’s Spanish for LoL.)
    ~

December 12, 2021 1:48 PM MST

I thought that was Deutsche for Yesyesyesyes.
      December 12, 2021 2:36 PM MST

Randy!  What are you doing on this flight?  It’s so nice to see you!  Look!  I’m in the seat right behind you!
      December 12, 2021 11:56 AM MST

Grrrrrrr, I’ve got nothing . . . oh, wait! I know; I’ll hang my hair over the back of my seat and cover your screen until you ask the flight attendant to move me to a different seat!

~

December 12, 2021 2:00 PM MST

OK, Randy, just sit back, relax, go to sleep and let me get to work!  When we land, you’ll have the awesomest hair ever!

December 12, 2021 5:02 PM MST

Grrrrrrrr

December 12, 2021 5:25 PM MST