Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Have you ever visited a location that was used in a movie or referenced in a song?

Have you ever visited a location that was used in a movie or referenced in a song?

Posted - January 10, 2022

Responses

I've been to Snowy River.
      January 10, 2022 1:27 AM MST

Cool.   :)
      January 10, 2022 5:27 AM MST

Good movie.
      January 10, 2022 10:26 AM MST

It's also a song. Originally an epic poem by Andrew "Banjo" Paterson, it's been set to music on numerous occasions ...

This post was edited by Slartibartfast at January 17, 2022 5:42 PM MST
      January 12, 2022 4:11 PM MST

Several local locations used in movies like Untamed Heart and Jingle All The Way. Internationally, I've been to Rome, Venice, Paris, and London where I recognized many locations from movies. And of course, NYC is In too many movies to list. 
      January 10, 2022 5:12 AM MST

Excellent.  :)
      January 10, 2022 5:27 AM MST

I just watched Untamed Heart for about the 12th time.  I fell in love with that movie when my kids were still home.  It has been played and played and played.  Know it by heart.  I'm finished
      January 17, 2022 1:51 PM MST

Bodega, California and Bodega Bay, California  - yes two separate communities     Alfred Hitchcock "The Birds" 

-- on my trip to the entire state of California, this was by far my favorite place to visit

Bodega Bay - Hollywood's Scariest Church, School - The Birds

Then & Now Movie Locations: The Birds

Mansfield, Ohio       Frank Darabont's "The Shawshank Redemption"   

Shawshank Redemption Prison and Other Abandoned Prisons as They Exist Today

Any scenes that look like this, below, in the movie were NOT filmed in the actual Ohio State Reformatory. This was a set built in an old unused Westinghouse factory that was gutted for the construction of the movie set in downtown Mansfield, about two miles away from the prison:

Prison, The shawshank redemption, Movie sets

A similar-looking area in the actual prison:

Inside prison used to film Shawshank Redemption where 200 inmates died |  Daily Mail Online

Evans City, Pennsylvania     George Romero's 1968 original "Night of the Living Dead"  (my favorite movie and also answerMug avatar)

The last time I was at the cemetery, it looked just like it does in the movie's scene, where Johnny's' and 'Barbra's car enters at the beginning of the movie:

Night Of The Living Dead | Film Locations

This is where most of opening "cemetery action" happens:

Night of the Living Dead Filming Locations
    Then & Now Movie Locations: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Then & Now Movie Locations: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 16, 2022 10:27 PM MST
      January 10, 2022 5:26 AM MST

My brother had a 18 month vacation in Mansfield.
      January 10, 2022 10:28 AM MST

(18-month)

Neglect of hyphen.

January 10, 2022 1:48 PM MST

Survey...9/10 grammar teachers say "Who cares?"
      January 10, 2022 7:18 PM MST

Scoffing at rules and regulations doesn’t diminish their importance, nor does it dissuade the most ardent enforcers of same.

January 10, 2022 7:20 PM MST

So sue me already.
      January 10, 2022 7:50 PM MST

Wow -- (if I'm thinking along the lines of which I think you're referring).
      January 10, 2022 7:15 PM MST

Vacation courtesy of Ohio taxpayers. I visited him there. UUUUgh.
      January 10, 2022 7:19 PM MST

Oh, wow.
      January 10, 2022 7:47 PM MST

a an 18-month vacation. You're lucky Officer Randolph missed that one or chose to let it slide. And you have a criminal element in your family. Maybe your name should be Criminal Element 99.
      January 16, 2022 10:31 PM MST

Former. He died 6 years ago. I never got caught.
      January 17, 2022 8:36 AM MST

Well, this is sort of the other way around: my wife and I were out for a walk on one of the piers here in San Diego, but it’s about 17.9 miles from where we live. We parked the car and approached the pier. There was a sign that said a movie was being filmed, and anyone who didn’t want to be on camera should avoid the area. We didn’t see any cameras nearby, so we figured no filming was going on right at that moment, and continued our walk out to the end of the pier. We forgot all about the sign.

Several months later, maybe even a whole year, it was announced in the local news about an upcoming movie release that parts of it had been filmed in or around San Diego. We happened to go see the movie, and in the opening scene, there’s a long shot of that same pier in San Diego. A young girl on a bicycle passes a group of people, among them is a couple, a tall Black man and a short Asian woman. The shot is so far away that we look like tiny dots, and only appear for a split second, but sure enough, I said to my wife, “That’s us!” Little had we realized that filming had in fact been going on while we strolled by, so we were unknowingly almost famous extras in the movie “Almost Famous”, starring Billy Crudup and Francis McDormand, 2000.
    ~

January 10, 2022 6:09 AM MST

That kicks butt.  :)
      January 10, 2022 7:16 PM MST

Universal Studios
    Disneyland
    Daytona Beach
    I live in Missouri
    St Louis
    Dallas
    San Antonio 
    Austin

January 10, 2022 6:16 AM MST

“The Boys In Company C”, 1978, was filmed in the Philippines, but its combat scenes are set in Vietnam. There are some opening scenes of story development that are set at MCRD (Marine Corps Recruit Depot, colloquially known as “boot camp”) San Diego, California. Those scenes were also filmed in the Philippines. I went through boot camp in MCRD San Diego, and nine years after that, I returned there as a Drill Instructor.

When I was on overseas deployment years after the movie came out, our ships went to the Philippines many times, and almost a decade after that, I was even stationed in the Philippines. The US military bases there were backdrops for depicting US bases in California, such as San Diego, Oceanside, El Toro. There is a particular rear gate in the Philippines that is supposed to be MCRD San Diego in the movie. I went through that gate many times, but it wasn’t until I was watching the movie for the umpteenth time that I realized I recognized the Philippine locale onscreen. 

[~]

January 10, 2022 6:43 AM MST

Andrew Stevens . . .

Stan Shaw . . . 

I remember the movie . . .

I remember  -- 
                                 Andrew Stevens
                                 Stan Shaw

;)
      January 10, 2022 7:17 PM MST

And I thought the movie itself was very good, too.
    :)
      January 10, 2022 7:28 PM MST