Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Is the empire such that the queen's death causes all sh*t to stop in Australia and Canada, eh?

Is the empire such that the queen's death causes all sh*t to stop in Australia and Canada, eh?

Posted - September 9, 2022

Responses

Yes, but it also stopped all of the crap news we have been getting.
      September 9, 2022 1:24 PM MDT

I hope my sh*t doesn't stop since I'm in neither Canada nor Australia.

Constipated man sits on toilet with his ... | Stock Video | Pond5
      September 9, 2022 4:28 PM MDT

Not really - but maybe the Boomers who nixed the idea of a republic years ago will be more open to the idea now. Charlie doesn't command the respect his mother did.
      September 10, 2022 4:14 AM MDT

I don't think very many people commanded the respect the Queen did.  
      September 10, 2022 9:39 AM MDT

Australia hasn't stopped.
    Our new Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese, paused Parliament.

There was an official "Bank Holiday" to commemorate her death, but most people in Oz just went about their normal business.

The ABC news, current affairs shows and documentaries on TV and radio were full of reports on the minuti of British protocols and ceremonies, as well as reviews of the Queen's life. But other channels, stations and media still deliver their usual programs.

The treasury will change the monarch's portrait on our currency. Official references to the monarch will now refer to King Charles, which seems weird to people born into a world with a titular Queen. But the role is symbolic and ceremonial only.
    In all practical ways, we rule ourselves via a liberal democracy.
    ("Small-l liberal" over here means that the state supplies the support and infrastructure that business cannot achieve through profit.)

But other than that, the rest of life continues as normal.

This post was edited by inky at October 29, 2022 2:45 PM MDT
      September 11, 2022 1:33 AM MDT

No need for the obscenity, but there is no "empire"!

Britain is at the centre of her Commonwealth of nations of which most were part of the past Empire, but they are all now independent, and most of them have been independent for many decades now.
      October 19, 2022 3:57 PM MDT