Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Which annoys you more: Old people causing car accidents or old people driving too cautiously in order to avoid causing accidents?

Which annoys you more: Old people causing car accidents or old people driving too cautiously in order to avoid causing accidents?

Posted - October 7, 2022

Responses

Don't make me pick just one, they're both equally as bad. 
      October 7, 2022 4:24 PM MDT

You can't have it both ways!
      October 7, 2022 6:50 PM MDT

I haven't seen any car accidents lately, so I can't say whether an old person was involved in some way.  What does bother me is when an elderly person drives slowly on the highways in the passing lane.  If you can't drive faster than 40-45 miles an hour, get off the road or at least drive in the right lane.  In all fairness, I feel just as irritated when someone not elderly drives erratically because they're on their phone, texting or just looking constantly at their GPS.  
      October 7, 2022 4:44 PM MDT

I’m patient with people who are passing in the left lane as long as they’re actually passing and moving over when they’re done passing.  If they’re not actually passing, that’s when the problems start.

This post was edited by Livvie at December 10, 2022 6:53 AM MST
      October 7, 2022 5:10 PM MDT

I agree.  Countless times, I've seen a driver move into the passing lane only to decrease their speed to what they were doing in the lane they were in.  
      October 7, 2022 7:28 PM MDT

I was hit three separate times in the same parking lot by older drivers. I always vote for caution and try my best to be patient. 
      October 7, 2022 6:53 PM MDT

Perhaps older drivers have more difficulty judging distance between your car and theirs.  
      October 7, 2022 7:27 PM MDT

I was going to suggest that you avoid that particular parking lot, but then I remembered it’s the most mutually convenient location for you and I to meet each other. I’ll warn the oldsters of which nights you’ll be there so they can be more cautious and not bump your car any more.

~

December 10, 2022 7:03 AM MST

Neither.  They're actually rather sad.

And excuse me, but driving cautious is a GOOD thing!  Speeding tickets are expensive, but the "youngers" don't seem to understand or care about it.  Squirrels and deer don't simply "get out of the way" just because a car is coming.  Hitting a deer (or bear) can do as much damage as hitting another car (insurance onlys pays for one "strike"; the rest is out of pocket).  Unless you remember to  wash your car's underside, squirrel guts begin to smell after a few days (especially in warm weather).  And by that time it doesn't just "wash off".  Yep, I'm one of those "cautious drivers".   And I'm still alive to say so. 

Besides, slipped accelerators are a cheap way for a business to replace its chipped or graffiti covered window glass.
      October 7, 2022 5:54 PM MDT

I guess the younger drivers will have to learn from experience like we did.
      October 7, 2022 6:56 PM MDT

Causing. 

Young drivers are the worst. 
      October 7, 2022 6:15 PM MDT

Agree.
      October 7, 2022 7:00 PM MDT

I think they’re both bad.  I’ve never had a close call on getting into an accident with an old driver, but I’ve encountered older drivers blocking traffic by being too cautious.  

The last thing that made my stepmom lay on the horn and lose her cool was the older driver in front of her waiting for no one to be in the intersection when making a right turn even though he had the right-of-way and wasn’t   crossing paths with any other drivers in the intersection.

A driver not moving when he has the right-of-way might think he’s being cautious, but it’s actually being unsafe.

This post was edited by Livvie at December 10, 2022 6:51 AM MST
      October 7, 2022 6:31 PM MDT

You sound like a young 'un. Laying on the horn is the worst thing to do when a person is already nervous. Maybe they shouldn't be on the road, but sometimes there isn't much choice.  
      October 7, 2022 7:00 PM MDT

Causing, particularly those that continue to drive after it becomes apparent that they are no longer physically up to it. An elderly man had a stroke and ploughed into my daughter's car while she was stopped at a red light. His own daughter had been imploring him to stop driving, he'd been having dizzy spells for weeks.
      October 7, 2022 11:24 PM MDT

My dad refused to stop driving voluntarily, even when he was afflicted with macular degeneration and could barely see.  My mom would tell him when it was ok to go, when to stop and if another driver was approaching.  Even when he had a little fender bender, he refused to give up the car.  Finally, afraid he would kill someone, I told him that if he didn't stop on his own, I would report him to Motor Vehicle.  To him, driving gave him autonomy - he didn't have to depend on anyone to get him where he needed to ho.  I understood that, but the possibility of him hurting himself or others superseded his need to be in control.  In fact, that's the reason I learned how to drive at the age of 40 - so I could take him wherever he needed and to bring my parents to family functions.
      October 7, 2022 11:57 PM MDT

They are both unfortunate for all involved.   I would not mind a requirement  one must be re-licensed (passing  written, vision, and actual in-car driving tests) at a certain age, perhaps 78.    Would you like to be the ride-along tester for 78 year olds?  Hummmm...........
      October 8, 2022 10:31 AM MDT

Hey, I'm 78! Actually, I had to give up driving. The last several years that I had a car, I could no longer keep it shoveled out in the winter. In this apartment complex, you are expected to do that when the snow plow shows up.

My daughter tells me a story, I don't know how true it is. She said that one day (about 20 years ago), she and her husband were following a car up a hill. She said to her husband, "That person drives just like my mother." A minute later she says, "Oh, that is my mother!"
      December 9, 2022 8:46 PM MST

I knew a guy from work who was 74 and his wife was 71. They were driving home from celebrating their 50th anniversary in 2019 when a young guy speeding in a stolen car slammed into them and killed them. Horrible story that was all over the news in the NYC area.
      December 9, 2022 9:03 PM MST

I don't cause accidents and I don't drive too cautiously. There are plenty of younger folk who don't keep up to the speed limits in good conditions. 
      December 10, 2022 3:15 AM MST

The latter.
    ~
      December 10, 2022 6:49 AM MST