Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Has this been happening to you with Billy Joel's "Piano Man"?

Has this been happening to you with Billy Joel's "Piano Man"?

For the past year or so, any time I hear the song on any radio station, the following lyrics are left out and they skip directly to "the waitress is practicing politics."

He says, "Bill, I believe this is killing me"
As the smile ran away from his face
"Well I'm sure that I could be a movie star
If I could get out of this place"
Oh, la la la, di da da
La la, di da da da dum

Now Paul is a real estate novelist
Who never had time for a wife
And he's talkin' with Davy, who's still in the Navy
And probably will be for life

Uh, no thanks.

That song is my favorite, favorite, favorite Joel song. I want to hear the entire song.
I get pissed off every time.

While we're at it, let's all watch Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" without the shower scene. It's all good.

Posted - February 20, 2023

Responses

I'd forgotten about this one! Very cool song. You're right about the "Imaginary Lover" message similarity. 

No wonder you like it. 

;)
      February 23, 2023 7:19 PM MST

I know, right?

Hey, wait a second . . . ! Grrrrrrr 

February 23, 2023 8:13 PM MST

You're welcome, SavvyAnsley. I'm glad you liked my question. :)

Your answer reads like we're sitting on a park bench somewhere, just sitting back and chattin.'  Very sincere and enjoyable to read. And we're snacking on some corn chips or something.  :)
      February 28, 2023 5:59 PM MST

Be careful, Buddy. She’ll slip you a guacamole mickey or something like that.  Grrrrrrr.
    ~

February 28, 2023 10:57 PM MST

If you'd said 'mayo mickey', that would have sounded better and been more possible. I am a card-carrying member of the avocado-haters club of answeMug! 

;)
      March 1, 2023 11:35 PM MST

Oh! That’s good news to me. (I wonder why it’s not already in the special dossier I’ve been compiling on you. Grrrrrrr.)

*Randolph D is shown updating the Likes and Dislikes page.

~

March 2, 2023 7:16 AM MST

I love hearing other people's stories! 

Organic corn chips... it's a deal. :)
      March 1, 2023 11:32 PM MST

Yes!

And your chips sound great.

Speaking of stories:
    Another Howard Jones (screw Joel for the moment, ha) -- someone asked me about Jones music. And I realized Jones and his music grew with me as time went by, like a developing friendship. Over time, Jones feels like a friend.

Here's "New Song" -- this guy's work is so great for me.
     And the video, from start to finish, lifts my soul. Especially the ending moments.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at March 2, 2023 7:34 PM MST
      March 2, 2023 4:38 PM MST

I haven't noticed that but if the "man" is editing songs on the radio I am glad I still have 5 banana boxes full of old original records. So I can listen to the full version of a song whenever I want Cheers!
      February 22, 2023 7:16 AM MST

I very much get from where you're coming.  :)
      February 28, 2023 6:01 PM MST

I did some looking around and the version they are playing is the "commercial single edit," there are several different cuts or edits for the song.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/billy-joel-piano-man-single-edit-version.643453/ 

February 24, 2023 6:41 AM MST

Wow! You nailed it  -- thanks for taking the time. Very interesting! All I know is I like to hear it ALL.  :)  Ha.  :)
      February 28, 2023 6:04 PM MST