Active Now

Urban Spaceman
Randy D
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Music » What's a song that uses a portion of another song and whenever you hear it, all you want to do is hear the first song?

What's a song that uses a portion of another song and whenever you hear it, all you want to do is hear the first song?

Mine?

Any time I hear Kid Rock's "All Summer Long,"  I long for Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London."

:)

Though that's a nice picture down there of Kid Rock, ha  ;)

Posted - April 10, 2023

Responses

Macho Man by Falco. Cheers!
      April 10, 2023 10:50 AM MDT

Did Falco do that song? Ha! I didn't know that.  :)

I admit I MUCH prefer Pet Shop Boys' version of The Village People's "Go West."   :)

April 10, 2023 11:08 AM MDT

He did a song that has a portion of the Village People song in it. In case you never heard it - it goes a little something like this - I heard a rumour the other day - this is what the boys say. They say you took my lady for a ride - they say it lasted all through the night. Now I am not a little boy but you touched my lady and she is my favorite play toy. Macho Macho man get down on your knees and pray -macho macho man-  I'm going to blow your macho macho man away. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at April 11, 2023 11:30 AM MDT
      April 10, 2023 11:37 AM MDT

Ha, I wasn't even paying attention to my own question - - I wasn not asking about "covers" of songs -- you got it right - - I was asking about portions of songs. Interesting and fun answer, thanks, Nanoose.
    I may look it all up.  :)

Pay no attention to my first reply, ha. Though I do love that Pet Shop Boys' cover.  :)
      April 10, 2023 11:51 AM MDT

The Beatles song 'All You Need is Love' has a line from another Beatles song, 'She Loves You' in it.

April 10, 2023 11:27 AM MDT

Very cool answer. I always thought, "Yeah, both are Beatles songs."

I've always liked the background instrumentals and background vocals on this one.  :)
    I admit I like the little reference of "She loves you " at the end. Always has sounded  playful to me  :)
      April 10, 2023 11:56 AM MDT

Any Beach Boys song that contains a guitar riff - i want to hear the Chuck Berry song they stole it from.
      April 10, 2023 8:48 PM MDT

May 16, 2023 7:45 PM MDT

(Do remakes count?)

The Club Nouveau 1987 hip-hop version of Bill Withers’ 1972 song “Lean On Me”. Back in 1987 when the remake was released, I liked it because it was new and different, and its video helped add to my impression of it. However, as time went on, I became less and less enthusiastic about hearing it, opting instead for the original. It got to the point that within just a few short years, I no longer wanted to hear the newer one ever again, and that sentiment has lasted to this day.
    ~

April 11, 2023 10:39 AM MDT

I'm sort of with you on that, too.

And, nope - - I wasn't referring to remakes in my question but it's okay.  :)
      May 16, 2023 7:46 PM MDT

Rappers Warren G and Nate Dogg released “Regulate” in 1994, which starts off using the intro to Michael McDonald’s 1982 song “I Keep Forgetting” (which itself is a close facsimile of Chuck Jackson’s 1962 song of the same title, “I Keep Forgetting”).

Suffice it to say that I’m not a fan of rap, and circa 1994, all of the R&B radio stations in San Diego (ok, to be fair and accurate, the one R&B radio station in San Diego ever) played “Regulate” incessantly when it first came out, and sounding like McDonald’s song for the first 30 seconds had me enjoying what I was hearing, up until it morphed into the crap variation. Grrrrrrrrrr.

April 11, 2023 10:56 AM MDT

I sometimes think the same thing with "Killing Me Softly"  -- Lauryn Hill of The Fugees, a great voice, but (to me) seems to be imitating Roberta Flack at the beginning. Then the twangy-instrument thingy comes in and I know it's not  Flack. Give me back Flack.  :)
      May 16, 2023 7:44 PM MDT

Would you believe that I never listened to either The Fugees or to Lauryn Hill when she went solo? I know nothing of their music.
    ~

May 16, 2023 9:12 PM MDT

I do believe you. :)  Hill has a great voice. It's just that I prefer Flack, especially on that song.  :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 17, 2023 7:31 AM MDT
      May 17, 2023 7:26 AM MDT