Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » If you ever quit a job after only working a day or two, what was the reason?

If you ever quit a job after only working a day or two, what was the reason?

Posted - October 27, 2023

Responses

I have and I think it was fate that made me do it. I had just gotten a well paying job as a Ming welder. But on the 3rd day I was taking the bus home and when we went past a K-mart store I rang the bell and got off the bus. Then I went into the store and applied for a job that paid 5X less then what I was making as a welder. The next day I started working at the store and met my future wife for the first time. Cheers and happy weekend!

October 27, 2023 8:51 AM MDT

Sometimes the Universe works in mysterious ways.
      October 27, 2023 6:54 PM MDT

Six months is the shortest time I stayed on a job,
      October 27, 2023 9:14 AM MDT

Nah. After a month I would say in my case at a McDonald's. Across the street from a high school.
      October 27, 2023 9:33 AM MDT

I lasted five weeks at a French accounting firm.
      October 27, 2023 10:12 AM MDT

Yes and I regret it.  Had a job at a hospital, in charge of seeing the operating rooms were cleaned by my staff and other responsibilities.  The first day they showed me to my office which had no windows, had been freshly painted with a metal bird on the wall. I walked in there and felt sick from the paint fumes and trapped in an enclosed room.  I apologized to the man with me and said I couldn't work there, knowing I'd be spending a lot of time in my office which felt like a prison.  Now I regret refusing the position, today I'd be making a lot of money.  I could not get out of there fast enough.

This post was edited by . at October 28, 2023 3:20 AM MDT
      October 27, 2023 11:53 AM MDT

Sometimes money is not enough. 
      October 27, 2023 6:55 PM MDT

Yeah, order picking, before I started college. 

One nice thing about the job was you could have a little fun with your co-workers. For someone with the mindset of the easy-going Angolan teaching me the ropes, it made a decent living. But I was an 18-year-old expected to drive my bike there before 6 a.m., and work on Saturdays - during the summer - so I could haul things onto my forklift-like contraption for 8 hours a day. I don't consider myself a quitter, yet I didn't feel bad about leaving that behind. 

The first supervisor I saw sighed heavily and told me to study well, so I moved to another city and did.
      October 27, 2023 12:58 PM MDT

No. The shortest time I have ever been at a job was 3 months but it was a temporary housekeeper job as a vacation fill in at a nursing home.  I did that 2 summers in a row. First one the summer before my senior year in high school and the next summer after that as well....but it was a longer span because one of the housekeepers was recovering from surgery.  I met my husband there that fall.  The nursing home was being remodeled and he was one of the construction workers.  I have always joked that I have been cleaning up his messes since before I even met him. 

This post was edited by my2cents at October 28, 2023 3:22 AM MDT
      October 27, 2023 1:53 PM MDT

No, but I remember a babysitting job that I'd have liked to quit after one day. The oldest girl appeared to be a budding sociopath, no kidding. That kid scared the crap out of me. 
      October 28, 2023 5:56 PM MDT

If the oldest girl you babysat is an adult now and she’s still single, we just found the perfect match for her in the post above, Martina’s second boyfriend, lol.
      October 30, 2023 2:07 PM MDT

I don't know... does the guy deserve to be murdered in his sleep for yelling at Martina and messing up her TV? 

Well, maybe. 

Hehe.
      November 1, 2023 5:26 PM MDT

Gee, I’m just glad that you, Savvy, along with Livvie, Martina, Boss Lady, Spunky, Thrifty Maid, and especially Jane S, and countless other women, all love me so much that I would never have to worry about any of you wanting to murder me. I’m touched, really I am.

~

November 1, 2023 7:08 PM MDT

If she would murder poor Raul, Martina’s second boyfriend, it’s more likely she’s a psychopath instead of a sociopath.  They both lack empathy but they’re not the same animal.

Anyway, I’ve heard tons of stories from Martina about her first five boyfriends, so her second one is definitely obsessive-compulsive, Stevie Wonder could see that.  Based on the rest of the stuff she told me about him, he’s probably also a sociopath.

So, when you said the girl you babysat was a budding sociopath, I just imagined them being together.  Two sociopaths marrying each other would be this family:

November 1, 2023 8:30 PM MDT

All of this analytical output you’ve presented is fascinating: in evaluating me, you’ve discovered I’m a run-of-the-mill, average, everyday, harmless and loveable sandwichiopath, correct?

~

November 1, 2023 8:50 PM MDT