Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » It's time now to make a choice, choose wisely.

It's time now to make a choice, choose wisely.

Posted - July 18

Responses

The place I'm moving to, well...all I can say is, its a place to live.  I've never done well or been happy in an apartment.
      July 18, 2024 6:40 PM MDT

Is it the allowance that you only have/& is it the time of day that you have, that what you will like to do in?
      July 18, 2024 7:35 PM MDT

Could you please rephrase. 
      July 18, 2024 7:45 PM MDT

How much spare time do you get in each day?

Did you get to do some things that you want to do-at home?

Did you get to buy or/and own enough things that you need and want?

July 19, 2024 6:43 AM MDT

Yes, plenty of spare time.
    Yes, a few things. Physical limitations prohibit quite a bit.  Neighbor drama takes up way too much of my time. I escape with the internet, have a "what's next," feeling every min, the problems are constant, never a break.  Hopefully that problem is solved, will know more in the next few days. 
    Have enough to get what I need, want is a different matter.  Right now I'm saving for a potential trip to see a dying cousin which I hope is soon. 

This post was edited by . at July 19, 2024 6:59 PM MDT
      July 19, 2024 7:56 AM MDT

As you may know, I am also in the process of moving and it is both scary and exciting.  I've lived in apartments all my life, but I am now going to have a house - not attached to any other house, no upstairs/downstairs neighbors to have to listen to. However, the purging/packing part is overwhelming when you do it by yourself.  Monday is my move date and I still have a way to go, so I'd better get moving.

Good luck with your move.  Sometimes, what you need is more important than what you want, but not knowing you personally, that may not be so.  All we can do is try to make the best of whatever situation we're in and I wish you peace.
      July 19, 2024 9:03 AM MDT

You are bringing back memories of helping my mom move from a five bedroom house to a one bedroom apartment. Then 18 years later moving her to assisted living, then the final clear-out when she died. Each move spurred me to be more careful of how much I accumulate,  but I still have a way to go. It's in my DNA, after all. Anyhow, what saved me the last two times was a phone number. 1-800-GOT-JUNK. Once I realized that they donate, sell, recycle or otherwise responsibly get rid of the stuff, it lifted a huge burden off my shoulders. I promise this isn't an ad for them! I remember being almost in tears after days of packing, sorted, loading things in my car to donate or give to people and being nowhere near done. Then I remembered hearing about them. They came the next day, were pleasant and efficient and when they left, I was able to lock the door and turn in the keys. Money well spent.
      July 19, 2024 10:21 AM MDT

Several weeks ago, I began the process of purging and made a donation to St. Mary's Church which came to collect the items.  I had three large black garbage bags and now, I have more!  I found things I didn't even recall buying - how many pairs of black pants does one need in retirement?  found boxes I never even opened - just shoved in the closet.  Believe me, I'm disgusted with myself for having not only so much clothing but so much that still has the tags on it unworn.  
      July 19, 2024 1:54 PM MDT

Great idea.  I have a large box I've been saving for clothing in my closet I don't wear any longer.  Have other items already bagged up sitting in my living room for donations.  I'd rather donate to the homeless shelter here.  Another place has moved across town, now it's more difficult to donate to them.  I have clothing with the tags still on however they fit and I hate to get rid of them incase I have a function that comes up I need to go to. 
      July 19, 2024 8:09 PM MDT

Most of what I donated or gave away no longer fit.  It took me a long time to accept that I will never be a size 12 again.  Good luck with the packing.  I certainly can sympathize with you on how difficult it is.  
      July 20, 2024 6:07 AM MDT

My problem is, my clothing keeps shrinking.  We have wet winters and I think it has something to do with so moisture in the air.
      July 20, 2024 4:03 PM MDT

Funny, I have the same problem although our winters/summers aren't that wet  I wonder what could be the cause.  
      July 21, 2024 6:32 AM MDT

It has to be the dreaded moisture or someone could be sneaking in and exchanging your clothing, it could happen. lol
      July 21, 2024 7:20 AM MDT

OK, I'll go with someone is exchanging my clothes. :)
      July 21, 2024 10:49 AM MDT

Good choice!
      July 21, 2024 11:11 AM MDT

So happy to hear you are leaving apartment life, I look at them like human filing cabinets, lol. Can't tell you much much I dislike apartments. I know, as a single woman, I'll never feel safe there.  Packing is such a pain, with I could just walk out and leave it all behind, well almost, there are a few precious treasures I must take. 
    Good luck with packing, I dread it, really, will definitely need some help. 
    Wants for me, never happen, ever.  Thanks for the good wishes and especially peace, really could use good dose of that. 
      July 19, 2024 11:50 AM MDT

I never thought of apartment houses that way but it's true now that you mention it.  I live in a relatively safe area, but like everything else, it's changing and not for the better.  Way too much noise, far too crowded, too few residents who don't speak English, etc.  I'm not opposed to immigration - hell, if not for that I wouldn't be here, but if you're coming to live permanently in a new country, at least make an effort to speak in the most common language.
      July 20, 2024 6:12 AM MDT

Agreed, If I moved to a new country would definitely attempt to learn their language. 
      July 20, 2024 9:37 AM MDT

I live in apartment by choice. I think a lot depends on the building. I have plenty of privacy, a great maintenance staff, and lots of amenities that would be cost prohibitive on my own. To each his own, and I hope you will be able to live in a place where you are happy.
      July 20, 2024 7:01 AM MDT

Yes, I'm sure there are safe apartments.  I can think of a few in Marina del Rey in California, they look secure by way too pricey for me. 
      July 20, 2024 9:39 AM MDT

(((((Pssst. A quick side note about all of that privacy. Could you alert the security personnel there at your building that I am now authorized to enter even though I’ve been banned in the past? They don’t seem to understand that you and I have reconciled and they roughed me up a little bit the last time I tried to get past them. See you soon!)))))
      ~

July 20, 2024 12:37 PM MDT

Roughed you up a little bit? Angela said she barely bumped you with her walker and you started blubbering like a baby. Better not come by when Melanie is on duty. Her hip replacement has made her a lot more agile.
      July 20, 2024 1:45 PM MDT

That was how it was when I first moved here, but in the past ten years, much has changed and when this house became available, I jumped at the chance.  My youngest sister and her kids live nearby, so I think I will be happier there.
      July 20, 2024 8:32 PM MDT

Things change and we change also. I lived in my condo for 33 years and one day I just realized that it didn't suit me anymore. The reasons aren't important, but I much prefer renting now, whereas when I decided to buy a condo, it was because all I could see were the issues with renting. I hope your change of residence suits you as much as mine suits me.
      July 20, 2024 9:36 PM MDT

I've tried to adapt to the changes, but some things are out of my control and aren't conducive to enjoyable living.  Thank you for the good wishes and I'm happy for you that you found a place that suits you.
      July 21, 2024 6:25 AM MDT