Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » You wake up today and find that your smartphone, laptop or computer is dead. Would all your important saved information be safely backed up?

You wake up today and find that your smartphone, laptop or computer is dead. Would all your important saved information be safely backed up?

Posted - May 12, 2017

Responses

Mostly yea 
      May 12, 2017 4:40 AM MDT

Yes; all I've got is AnswerMug, so I can access it elsewhere while charging up my dead device. 

~ This post was edited by Randy D at May 12, 2017 11:10 PM MDT
      May 12, 2017 5:56 AM MDT

• Yep! Other than my games? I have everything backed up in Dropbox, which can easily be retrieved if needed. I also have an external hard drive I keep my work stuff from Slitherine backed up on. Not a problem.
      May 12, 2017 6:53 AM MDT

I have nothing important that needs to be backed up.
      May 12, 2017 9:29 AM MDT

you might still have it, its your computer thats dead, not your stuff
      May 12, 2017 1:59 PM MDT

I do have an automatic back-up program that runs weekly.

But in thinking about it, there is almost nothing so valuable or interesting on my computer or drives that is so unique that it could not be re-created with an (admittedly significant) effort.

Years ago, Orson Wells was on The Dean Martin Show in the 60's and talked about losing about 85% if his home library in a fire.  His comment was that it turned out to be "purgative."  (Purgative as in "cleansing.")

Obviously, his comment made an impression on me.

And if it's not in my head for reference, having it on a hard drive isn't going to help me much. This post was edited by tom jackson at May 12, 2017 2:43 PM MDT
      May 12, 2017 2:33 PM MDT