Active Now

Echooos
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What can prevent future terror attacks? Can they be prevented?

What can prevent future terror attacks? Can they be prevented?

Terror is never an expression of freedom or a justifiable act of resistance or the a permissible outcome of social frustration.

It is always unacceptable.

Yet people continue to be motivated to commit heinous acts against defenseless people. Is there anything that can be done to stem the rise in attacks? Why is it that Europe seems to have more terror attacks than the United States?

Posted - May 24, 2017

Responses

Here's a thought. Instead of air strikes on IS strongholds with HE missiles (which makes martyrs of them), how about plastering the area with gelatine? Makes the place and everyone in it ritually unclean, as gelatine is made from rendered pig fat. Humiliate them rather than killing them, the psychological effect is much greater. There's nothing glorious about being shunned by your own.
      May 24, 2017 5:05 AM MDT

• That's certainly a new one lol
      May 24, 2017 9:42 AM MDT

A similar tactic was used by the British in the 1800's. The arabs were throwing their bodies across the railroad tracks to derail the trains.
    The Brit's used pork fat to coat the rails. The problem stopped.
      May 24, 2017 9:48 AM MDT

It's a complicated issue and there really are no easy answers.  

As to why Europe is experiencing more attacks...European countries have welcomed more refugees, but many more refugees also made their way to Europe simply because of its proximity to the ME.
      May 24, 2017 5:36 AM MDT

• Europe seems to also have more trouble "assimilating" its Muslim community.
      May 24, 2017 9:42 AM MDT

True, Nevan.  I just went to read a bit about that and ended up reading every article on the first page of my search.  There was a pretty broad range of sources included, from MSM articles to the Cato Institute, CFR, WND and CAIR.  There seems to be quite a few contributing factors, and their isn't a consensus as to cause, but reading through articles/commentary, across political biases and anti-Muslim to pro-Muslim perspectives, was interesting.  

My take on it is that it is precisely what makes us different from Europe (differences many wish to eliminate) that facilitate assimilation here better than in Europe.  The one difference inherent to the U.S., though, is that we don't have an ethnic "base" population, we have always been a nation of immigrants.  That hasn't stopped conflict and prejudice, of course, but our "melting pot" has worked pretty well.  There are differences in our business regulations, welfare programs, and views on religion that have an impact as well.  One thing that can make a big difference, too, is education, more of our Muslim population have higher educations than those in Europe.  

It is an interesting subject, but more importantly, a timely one given the sheer number who have been displaced in the ME. 
      May 24, 2017 2:20 PM MDT

Excuse me, remember 9/11?
      May 24, 2017 2:27 PM MDT

Those guys weren't immigrants, they were foreign nationals posing as tourists.
      May 24, 2017 5:30 PM MDT

That has what, exactly, to do with my comment(s)?
      May 24, 2017 6:01 PM MDT

It had to do with your first post; whether the attacks come immigrants, foreigners, nationals, or veterans, no country is safe. And you guys seem to ignore the history of Europe, the aftermath of the colonial age. People still mix up quite a lot in Europe, inter-cultural marriage is commonplace.
      May 25, 2017 12:55 AM MDT

Perhaps you could explain what your issue is with my comment.  I did not specify the attacks came specifically from any one of those.  I simply said the proximity has made a huge difference.  And it has. 
      May 25, 2017 1:09 AM MDT

I don't disagree with what you said, I was not particularly addressing one post,  just saying don't lull yourself into thinking the Anglo-Saxon model will protect you. People used to say Britain was spared because it was not as secular as the French model, and yet...
      May 25, 2017 1:56 AM MDT

Okay, thank you.  

We have not been spared, of course.  We had 9/11, as you mentioned, also Boston, Orlando, San Bernadino...  

I do think that both the French secular-assimilation and the British multiculturalism models, while intended to avoid such problems, actually make them worse.  I do not equate the British model with our American experience, though, I believe they are quite different.  But I do not think that protects us, either.  

As I said, it is a complicated issue.  There are many factors in play, and those will vary by country, populations, what is happening globally, local tensions, etc.  Unfortunately, we seem to be locked into a vicious cycle whereby our presence/meddling in the ME is fueling terrorism, which prolongs and periodically increases our presence there, and on and on...one can argue which came first, but it definitely predates 9/11, it has just intensified since then.  
      May 25, 2017 6:40 AM MDT

i wish there was a way to prevent them
      May 24, 2017 4:47 PM MDT

only god can prevent them
      June 2, 2017 4:47 PM MDT