Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you think we REALLY mean anything in this vast universe?

Do you think we REALLY mean anything in this vast universe?

I know humans are miraculous, complex, outstanding beings in which we are the most advanced of any species on earth. I know we are love, kindness, joy in the flesh, but also sadness, cruelty too :( Do you think we REALLY mean anything in this world? I'm saying if there was no religion, no other story of what 'might' be after we pass, but in this moment as a human, what do we 'Mean'? And wouldn't it be almost lighter in life if we didn't mean so much... if we just 'were' ? I have put SO much pressure on all I do, think or feel, and it becomes overwhelming over the years. I was recently contemplating what if we all really don't have much actual meaning, but are just 'Here'? In a way it is refreshing, b/c I feel I don't have to prove myself to others and feel this constant comparison or competition EVERYone has with each other. What do you think .. ?

Posted - May 30, 2017

Responses

There are two "pillars of self esteem"  1) you have value just because you exist and, 2) you have value because you have something to offer others  (Dorothy Corkille Briggs, Your Child's Self Esteem).

That is an excellent formula for producing self confident human beings that are aware of both their limits and their strengths and in control of both.

Since it is an approach that is universally applicable for good results in humans, I assume it probably is consonant with a deeper reality that we may not be aware of or which---if we are aware---we do not fully understand.

And if it is also true "no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should," I'd say my answer to your question is a resounding "YES." This post was edited by tom jackson at May 30, 2017 4:57 PM MDT
      May 30, 2017 3:40 PM MDT

Thanks Tom, great response!! What if one feel they don't really have 'much' to offer others.. does that affect that equation and one's self esteem?
      May 30, 2017 3:57 PM MDT

That book was one I could have written (in the sense that I agreed with everything she suggested).

(All my kids asked me to tell them the name of the book "I used to raise them" when they had kids.)

You have to work to get there---and overcoming the "you're worthless" appellation from those who raised us is definitely hard.

John Bradshaw did a lot of work with the "inner child" in his books and was a great help to me in overcoming the verbal and psychological abuse I was subjected to as a child.  His books are great tools for anyone to use even without concurrent counseling.

To recover, you do have to come to believe that you have value, but you can overcome your negative programming by conscious effort.  People who think they have nothing to offer others tend to inaccurately assess the reality around them.  And realistically, some people would be much better off with at least some counseling help.

Cognitive therapy works well with this problem.
      May 30, 2017 4:07 PM MDT

I've bettered myself by "using/being aware of" many of the same things tom jackson wrote.

(and on this challenging-in-some-ways-day I'm having, my admittedly perhaps-trite first thought was ~ Even if we just "were" "here," I'd like to make this place, for this moment, a better place -- for myself and others. Without all the undue and unnecessary pressure I put on myself, though! 

Hey, and , yeah, like tom jackson suggested, counseling helped me.

Be Well, Baybreeze!

:)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 30, 2017 9:31 PM MDT
      May 30, 2017 5:04 PM MDT

You are actually right
    all we have to do is be here...
    there is nothing to prove
    and there is no pressure
    to realize your Self. 
    What do we "Mean"? Excellent question.

But In the realm of Thought
    there is never understanding
    of deeper truths. The perplexing
    ideas and unfulfilled feelings, 
    and unanswered questions
    go round and round never ceasing,
    without any understanding of the truth.

The answers and understanding are not
    found in thought. Yet we search for answers
    through that very process.

What do we "Mean"?

It must be experienced, to know the truth,
    To know what we "Mean". The short version?
    God exists within you as you. But through thought
    we get confused trying to sort out that statement.

There is only one being in this world, 
    but each of us through our Ego
    separate ourselves from that oneness.
    When Ego dissolves,When the mind is still
    and no thoughts are running through it,
    our meaning is crystal clear. What/who is God,
    is perfectly clear.

This direct experience of your Self
    is possible only when the Ego dissolves.
    A transcendence of time and space,
    and a complete understanding of Being
    and what we "Mean" is experienced....
    To wrap it up?
    God exists within you as you
    all we need to do is experience it
    and then recognize it in everything we do.

May 30, 2017 6:32 PM MDT

Baba I really enjoyed the part about how when Ego is in check, as it is to some degree in all of us, we arenot our TRUE selves... I have to remember that. My ego is different, it is not based on looks, gaining success or status (but Im realizing I need SOME of that ego b/c I've felt very low/down in life) ... my ego says 'did I do that right? What if he ditches me and thinks I'm weird?' etc... but like you said when NO thoughts are running through, we have meaning and feel TRUTH...thoughts run through my head too much (worried anxious ones) so I want to just feel I am worth what others' are and stop doubting 'me'... thx again for such a great reply. !!!!!
      June 3, 2017 9:40 AM MDT

I know we do.  The mind gets caught up in logic.   There is NO logic involved in size and distance when eternity is a factor.

We matter. Every speck of matter matters.  We are infinite consciousness and part of a dream from which we will soon awaken once more.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 3, 2017 2:40 PM MDT
      May 30, 2017 7:22 PM MDT

I don't think anything has any meaning in the end. It's up to us to decide what our purpose is and live our lives. I think that's better than having some predetermined meaning anyway.
      May 30, 2017 7:23 PM MDT

I like that P :) That we might not actually have any meaning when all is said and done/in the end... yet we can CREATE meaning of our own selves, souls, hearts... Thanks  :)
      May 30, 2017 9:30 PM MDT

If nothing has any meaning then it doesn't matter what any of us do in this life because the end result is the same, it all means NOTHING. 
    Hence, you can murder people, rape them, be a child abuser, a charity worker, a person who cares a bout the planet, a great nurse, NONE of it matters, nothing you do here matters.  You can put your own spin on it, but in the bigger scheme of things your life and what you do means nothing, because it will all end with no reason or meaning. Your life is meaningless and holds no purpose.

Well, religion points to the idea that this is an individuals journey, that everything you do here matters because it predicts what will happen to your soul after you die when our spirit returns to God. Hence, life has a meaning it is about learning by our mistakes, and cultivating character. 

In the bible it states that WE ARE THE TEMPLE of God, and he dwells IN US.  Hence, you can actually experience God and his will if you align yourself with his principles people cannot get there head around this but it is true. Believe me God is saddened by a violent, grasping, selfish natures, we weren't meant to be like this, once we was ONE with God, but we had free will, our pride choose to know good and evil, hence dividing us from God, and creating a SELF an EGO.

Jesus teaches:-  love God first and love thy neighbour as thyself, if a man strikes you on the face offer him the other cheek, if a man asks you to walk two miles go with him three, it is not what you put in your mouth that matters but what comes out of it (because this comes from your heart and it is important to keep it pure). Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him, (which I take to mean that if your attachments are to worldly things, money, cars, etc then you cannot experience God, because where you heart is, is where your attachment lies.  It doesn't mean you cannot have these things, it means that not to attach yourself to these things because when you do, they own you, your life will become about these things, greed, envy, wrath, gluttony, pride, sloth, lust, the seven demons of hell. 

Lucifer represented the sin of pride, because pride always comes before a FALL, it's opposite virtue is Humility. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.  Arrogance blocks God from the heart, as well as others.

Mammon was greed, often associated with Money, the greedy are never satisfied and they neglect spiritual wealth, the opposite being sufficiency.  Luke 12:15 And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”

Asmodus represented lust, often represented by the goat, the sins of the flesh it's opposite being chastity. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world.

The leviathan represented envy, the opposite being Charity.  Proverbs 14:30 A tranquil heart gives life to the flesh, but envy makes the bones rot.

Beezlebub "the lord of the flies" represents gluttony often associated with Satan in Christianity, this one forgets gratitude. Do not be with heavy drinkers of wine, Or with gluttonous eaters of meat; For the heavy drinker and the glutton will come to poverty, And drowsiness will clothe one with rags.

Belphegor represents sloth, it's opposite is diligence. Proverbs 13:4 "The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied."

Satan is associated with anger and it's fiery power, this turned to rage obliterates all good from the mind, soul and the heart, it produces war and murder. The opposite virtue is patience. Eph 4: 26  In your anger do not sin, do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.

Colossians 3:5 Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.

If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
    in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience—

Now is the judgment of this world; now will the ruler of this world be cast out.

and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.

See most people are now convinced in things like Science, and so have no need for God.  But throughout the bible it tells us something happened to us. When you walk around this modern day world you see people taking selfies, updating profiles, making themselves a star, however this was not of God, this is pride.
    You see people being bombarded with consumerism, this was not God this was greed.
    You put the music channels on and you see near naked girls writhing around or grinding themselves on men, this is not God.
    You see men encouraged to take drugs, be rich, have hoes, this is not God. 

Now people say this is a secular society, however the leaders of our countries would disagree because they believe in the occult.

Take for example the Tower of Babel being used to represent the EU's goal.

This goes back to Nimrod who wanted to build a tower to put himself above God, God then confounded the languages and people were spread throughout the earth.  Over the years you have had many attempts by dictators to take over the world, Egypt, Rome, Hitler, Stalin, and now the new world order, the global government.  Notice all the people in the poster have block heads except the baby who hasn't been brainwashed yet.

This didn't stop there the building is the same too.

And the room in this building has a large picture on the wall, with Adam and Eve depicted in the middle with a phoenix and the dead at the bottom, a bit odd for a secular building?

Then of course you have Europa riding the bull Zeus. 

Europa was the King of Tyre's daughter.

Then staying with the phoenix theme which is a symbol for resurrection.  You have the 2012 Olympics where a phoenix flys down for it's sactifial victim (not the only weird and disturbing theme in the cere mony. 

Pharrel Williams brought out a song called Legend Of The Phoenix.

And of course the man dressed as a women in the Euro vision song contest sung Rise Like a Phoenix.

Then of course most films are based on a good v evil theme often rehashing the bible story, because it's hard to have an actual ORIGINAL thought, most thoughts come from another thought.

You have the mysterious eye of providence

You have the one eyed symbolism

There is a new film coming out called The Redemption Of Cain.

Cain was the first Master Mason, he built the city of Nod.

His offspring was Tubal Cain also a Mason.

So what do Masons believe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBFuEo0Jzd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcpVrtv2t-M

And celebrities have spoken about this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_an0SXV2gKk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZxOlcWG8K0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvC7QAUhqF8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luciferianism

Of course this all means nothing right?

This post was edited by kjames at May 31, 2017 7:41 AM MDT
      May 31, 2017 7:27 AM MDT

KJames, ty for a detailed reply. Some of my thoughts though go to, when you said so people can rape, or murder etc ... they do :( Sometimes they have no consequences. My upbringing was terrorizing; physical and emotional assault was the norm and I have become someone who has  Lot of anxiety and PTSD so I wonder where Meaning is in my life? The people (my parents) who mocked, hit, shoved, screamed, threatened me, it does not seem to have mattered at all to them or to this world, or life in general , that this is what happened. One could say God would punish these types of people one day, but do I really know? do I 'want' someone punished.. no; I just want them to apologize and CHANGE.. yet people who are of this mind stance (abusers, kiillers) rarely change at all. Where is the meaning in any of what they did? yes I can learn from it but it has made my life very solemn and sad for many years. I sometimes then wonder, what if it doesn't matter if we DO have meaning? was my point of this question. I have gone above and beyond to people pleasing them ... and they do NOT care. They don't reciprocate, they often have actually just taken advantage of me instead... and so I've tried to CREATE myself to have meaning which I think can be good on some level, yet I feel sometimes with what this world is, it 'may' just be that we are simply here. Maybe if I didn't put so MUCH on what I have to do for people to accept me, and just 'be', maybe people like myself can just live with more peace or perhaps joy.
      June 3, 2017 9:48 AM MDT

i would hope so
      June 1, 2017 4:42 PM MDT