Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » So, what do my fellow Brits think of the election result?

So, what do my fellow Brits think of the election result?

Not another coalition. The last one was terrible! I can't see this one lasting long, not that it has actually been put together yet, as I type. But with the DUP, as seems likely, I can't see it. I think there will be another election before the years out. I think I have been proved right about Teresa May. I never felt she was the strong leader some said. God help us!

Posted - June 9, 2017

Responses

Harry, I have nothing to offer, but I want you to know I appreciate what you are doing and I do read and learn what is going on across the pond because of your postings.

Thanks for your input on politics we need to hear about.  Not just USA crap.
      June 9, 2017 8:47 AM MDT

Thanks, Shar! All the countries of the world are important, and I try to learn as much about what is happening out there as I can.
      June 9, 2017 8:54 AM MDT

Obviously you DO if you can stand this TRUMPETY site!  

Thank YOU.   I need global schooling BAAAD.
      June 9, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

When the Conservative party can't even defeat a red lunatic like Corbyn, it really makes me question whether Britain has a future.

We're in big trouble. The conservatives have compromised to the point they are more less just social democrats anyway, and they still can't crush that communist piece of sh*t. I despair. 
      June 9, 2017 11:13 AM MDT

I don't see it as such a bad thing that the Consevatives are socially liberal, TZ. I tend to blame them for talking much about that, but delivering little, these days. I guess I'm socially liberal, but fiscally conservative - there's nothing wrong with having social programmes, if you can afford them. Corbyn is about the weakest leader ever, of any party, and May still couldn't beat him!
      June 12, 2017 8:26 AM MDT

Well, she DID beat him, of course. Just not by enough!
      June 16, 2017 7:32 AM MDT

Labour's manifesto seemed to be largely distinguished by a long list of extravagant and probably unattainable spending promises. I neither like nor trust Corbyn - the last straw was him attending that memorial ceremony for a PLO terrorist in Tunisia - after that, voting Labour would have made me feel unclean inside and out. I felt the Tories were marginally the better of two undesirable options even though I do not like some of the results of austerity I'm seeing today. But at the same time I didn't want the Tories to get too comfortable. I felt they both deserved to lose, and in a way I've got my wish.

It was a hollow and depressing election altogether. There didn't seem to be much to set the candidates apart except public services, taxes and spending, which are not the be-all and end-all. The economy was sorely neglected - topics such as infrastructure, jobs, regulation, subsidies, housing, and how we are to make a success of Brexit post-2019, got little mention, and when it comes to social and cultural issues they're all singing from the same grubby hymn-sheet. 

I don't know much about the DUP but I have heard they are in favour of a "soft Brexit", although whether that result will actually be delivered or whether they will just get some sort of special dispensation for Northern Ireland, is anyone's guess at this stage. Staying in the European free trade area in exchange for freedom of movement is something I can just about live with, although I admit that if I were a factory worker having to compete with Poles and Romanians for the available jobs, I might feel differently.

June 9, 2017 11:58 AM MDT

A little story... I once worked in a nursery... I only worked there 2 weeks lol before chucking the job.. I was relatively fit back then having worked in a busy kitchen for years, but this job - which was promised to be an office job with SOME work with the plants, nearly killed me.. I was out in all weathers shifting rows and rows of plants and lifting, carrying, loading and unloading hundreds of heavy plants.. 

The final straw for me was when I was asked to work with 2 young Polish/Romanian/Chec girls.. They were AWESOME... sooo fast.. so strong.. and the thing was.. the manager said to me..that at the end of the month they would be going back to Poland or wherever and *I* would be expected to take over their job as well as all the other stuff.. NO WAY I thought.. there was just no way me, a 45 year old woman could replace them!  And more to the point I wouldn't have wanted to.. way too hard work.   I suspect they were being paid, jointly, less than me.. and that's it.. who can blame people for hiring them.. they work hard and they cost less.. 
      June 9, 2017 2:55 PM MDT

Hollow and depressing is exactly right, Rev! I, too, never bothered to take much notice of Northern Ireland politics, and now wish I knew more about the DUP. I voted Liberal Democrat, because I think the Conservatives have done little but clobber the poor, and I've never trusted Labour (I remember the seventies only too well!), and voted remain in the referendum. If there is another election, I will have to vote Conservative, to guarantee keeping Labour out, and stop Corbyn making a mess of everything, but I don't like anything about the Tories current policies.
      June 12, 2017 8:21 AM MDT

I feel the same as you Harry.. to be honest I kinda hoped she would have the landslide she wanted.. but that she didn't and badly underestimated the public's wishes and feeling.. well.. that, as you say, makes her look very very weak.. I honestly think she messed up in calling the election ..... and now she, and ultimately WE will pay the price.   

I am a bit in shock to be honest about the DUP news!  
      June 9, 2017 2:49 PM MDT

Our Australian system parallels your British one, and I see May's future parallelling Ms Gillard's. Although the Tories will probably have the numbers to form a minority government, her own position as leader is untenable. Either she will ve forced to resign or her Party will spill her - she gambled big time by calling a snap election, and lost.
      June 9, 2017 10:27 PM MDT

What we can take from these responses is that everyone, regardless of political leanings, is depressed by it.
      June 16, 2017 7:43 AM MDT