Active Now

my2cents
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » from the 1939 movie "The Wizard of OZ" ~

from the 1939 movie "The Wizard of OZ" ~

~ did Dorothy deserve all her troubles? That Wicked Witch of the West asked her for her deceased sister's shoes but Dorothy refused to give them to her -- little thief.

Posted - June 12, 2017

Responses

That's crazy stuff, for sure. I didn't know that! Thanks, Slartibartfast!
      June 12, 2017 8:27 PM MDT

I didn't know that Slartibartfast!  Where were their towels? At least if they had  their towels they would have been prepared for the upcoming catastrophes they had to encounter ;) 
      June 14, 2017 3:42 PM MDT

Maybe they all survived because it was Somebody Else's Problem ...
      June 14, 2017 3:45 PM MDT

I always rooted for Dorothy, but you do make a good point! 
      June 12, 2017 8:29 PM MDT

Ah, but others here are more right - - evil is evil. The shoes needed to stay with Dorothy.
    :)

I just like Margaret Hamilton's performance.
      June 13, 2017 6:05 AM MDT

You do not allow evil magic to spread or manifest.  Those shoes in the wrong hands,  would hurt and not help anyone.  Except the evil sister witch.   The Witch of the North, Glenda, is the one who needs to have the shoes presented at her feet with gratitude   She is pure and good and will guide Dorothy.

If she gave over a precious, sacred item like those shoes, to a dark force like the evil witch sister,  Dorothy could cause undue misery.   That bad witch' enslaves.  She would try to enslave every living thing in her vast realm.

So, Dorothy is a heroine.  Not a brat. 

She is Joan of Arc.  She took one for the team - Emerald City and beyond. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 13, 2017 6:04 AM MDT
      June 12, 2017 8:45 PM MDT

You are 100% correct, Shar to the Rona.
    I just liked so much Margaret Hamilton's perfect performance in the movie. I loved being scared of her. I still admire her performance immensely. But you're right - - there's no counter-argument to your great and well-written answer.
    Thanks!
      June 13, 2017 6:08 AM MDT

i dont think so
      June 13, 2017 5:56 PM MDT

You're probably right, pearl -- even though I still like that Wicked Witch, ha!
      June 13, 2017 6:26 PM MDT

Hi Welby~ What a great question you posted and it has been very enlightening reading the responses. The beauty of the story, The Wizard of Oz, is how it leaves itself open to a variety of perceptions. I have a view that varies a little.
    Being that it is my dad's favorite movie, I've seen it at least 35 times.  The original and the colored version. We watched it when I was old enough to see the flying monkeys and not freak out tooooo much :).
    Year after year as I grew, I took a little different something from the story.  Now, at the ripe age of 50, this is what I see, hear, and feel.
    Dorothy is a representation of each of us.  As she travels down her yellow brick road of life, she is faced with all her fears.  Sometimes she feels like she doesn't have a brain.  She isn't smart enough.  Sometimes she feels like she is selfish, she doesn't have a heart.  Sometimes she feels like she doesn't have the courage to stand up for who she is and what she believes in.  All of these fears are heightened when she feels trapped by her own self fear, hence, the wicked witch.  The wicked witch is the symbol of fear.  She haunts her because Dorothy doesn't realize...
    She, Dorothy herself, has the power to face these fears.  She has her own given strength.  She has the power, shown by Glenda, to face all these things she thinks she lacks.  She is the one who is able to take herself "home." 
    Dorothy doesn't need to run away from home.  Dorothy is home.  Home where she is with people who love her just the way she is.  When Dorothy realizes it is o.k. to be scared and o.k. to self-doubt, she knows she is o.k. just the way she is.

All the characters in The Wizard of Oz are all symbols of our own growing up and facing the trials and tribulations that growing up brings.  We all have our personal yellow brick roads.  And hopefully, we all find our way home. 

June 14, 2017 10:28 AM MDT

The "original" was SHOT in colour, the first movie made using the three-strip Technicolor process. The Kansas scenes were shot in black and whire, the Oz scenes were shot in colour to show its magical nature, "over the rainbow".
      June 14, 2017 3:37 PM MDT

I'm sorry.  I sit corrected.  You are right.  I was envisioning the black and white scenes when I wrote that.  Thank you Slartibarfast.  :) :)
      June 14, 2017 3:45 PM MDT

Nice, Merlin. Your take on it all works for me, too. I'm glad you liked the question.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 14, 2017 7:08 PM MDT
      June 14, 2017 7:07 PM MDT

If I recall correctly ... Glinda "magicked" the shoes onto Dorothy, who couldn't take them off.

So Dorothy was a victim of the "good" witch.  (who basically painted a target on Dorothy)
      June 14, 2017 10:53 AM MDT

You are completely right, Walt O'Reagun! Good eye for detail you have!
    I subconsciously (or consciously?) chose to ignore the facts of how those shoes got on Dorothy's feet. I think that Dorothy even physically tries to get them off but can't. My question was probably just a shameful attempt to potentially talk about how much I like Margaret Hamilton's performance as the Witch of the West (which I've done a lot in some of these threads).
      June 14, 2017 7:13 PM MDT

As much as I enjoy the classics ... I have to admit the modern versions, telling the stories from a different perspective, are just as enjoyable. 
      June 15, 2017 8:32 AM MDT

I've not seen many/read many classic stories from different perspectives/versions. If you have any particular ones you really like, feel free to let me know!
    I liked how you said "who basically painted a target on Dorothy." True!
      June 15, 2017 11:03 AM MDT

Maleficent ... the "wicked witch" from Sleeping Beauty

Oz the Great and Powerful ... the wizard of oz's backstory.  And how a good witch turned bad.

I'm looking forward to "Wicked" when it comes out in 2019 (hopefully).
    Another tale of how the "villian" isn't really - she's just mislabeled due to skin color.

June 15, 2017 2:23 PM MDT

Interesting! I've not read/seen any of them.Thanks!
      June 15, 2017 2:45 PM MDT