Active Now

Spunky
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Do you have a political quote that you remember often? (funny, serious, or oh so true ..)

Do you have a political quote that you remember often? (funny, serious, or oh so true ..)

A politician needs the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. And to have the ability afterwards, to explain why it didn’t happen.

- Winsto
n Churchill

Posted - June 26, 2017

Responses

"Maintain the rage."
    Gough Whitlam, 1975
    I was six years old, I've maintained the rage for 42 years now. Never voted for the Liberal/National coalition in my life and never intend to. (I haven't always voted Labor either, but always direct my preferences that way).
      June 26, 2017 6:53 AM MDT

(paraphrased) We have to pass it so we can see what's in it.  SanFranNan
      June 26, 2017 7:52 AM MDT

• She scares the doo doo out of me. LMAO!
      June 26, 2017 7:54 AM MDT

No, I don't.
    The only approaching-political quote I remember a lot comes from the fictional sheriff (political --  he had to have been voted for, right? ha!) Lucas Buck from the TV show "American Gothic."

"Conscience is just the fear of gettin' caught."

:)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 26, 2017 1:11 PM MDT
      June 26, 2017 12:44 PM MDT

no, i dont have one
      June 26, 2017 1:58 PM MDT

You've never had it so good; Harold Macmillan
      June 26, 2017 2:47 PM MDT

NEVER NEVER NEVER Rev Ian Paisley
      June 26, 2017 2:48 PM MDT

Politics is the art of choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable.

- JK Galbraith
      June 27, 2017 9:41 AM MDT

Mine is not actually from a politician but I remember it from my high school history teacher. I did not fully understand it at the time. 

Mrs. Guy: "A government that can give it all, can also take it all."

Now, read that and think about Obamacare Medicaid expansion.

Now if you must have a politician.
    Reagan: I have always believed the most terrifying words in the English language are, I am from the government and I am here to help. This post was edited by my2cents at June 27, 2017 2:27 PM MDT
      June 27, 2017 2:15 PM MDT

So you favour anarchy?
    Every civilised nation in the world has some form of nationalized health care - except the USA. This includes Germany, the UK and Australia, all of which have Conservative governments in power atm.
    Despite this, Anerica spends more taxpayer dollars per citizen on healthcare than any if these - because it basely tolerates profiteering by private insurance companies and exorbitant fees and charges imposed by the medical industry.
      June 27, 2017 5:36 PM MDT

Anarchy...means zero government and self rule. In a perfect society, yes that is exactly what I would favor. But that is not what we live in we have criminals who do violent things to innocent people so we need government police etc. 
    Any of those countries who give that health care right now could tomorrow decide, we cannot afford this any longer and take it. Yes the people would be upset and mad but there ultimately would be nothing they could do.
      June 28, 2017 6:53 AM MDT

No government would dare take it, it would condemn their Party to the political wilderness for decades. They'd be routed atbthe very next election and ALL those members would have to die and be long dead before anyone would ever consider voting for that Party again.
      June 28, 2017 7:17 AM MDT

They would never just take it all...it would be a little here and a little there under different parties so no one gets the blame. 
      June 28, 2017 7:33 AM MDT