Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Is Babylon the Vatican or Mecca?

Is Babylon the Vatican or Mecca?

Either or is possible. Some think NYC right here in America.

Posted - July 2, 2017

Responses

Neither. It was the ancient capital of Akkad in Mesopotamia, located 94 miles south of modern-day Baghdad. The Hebrews were held captive there for a generation, before being liberated by Cyrus of Persia.
      July 2, 2017 6:53 PM MDT

Wrong context. I blame myself for not further explaining.
      July 4, 2017 5:33 PM MDT

• Actually Babylon was a city in Mesopotamia and was located near Baghdad in Iraq 

Did you know the average human head weighs 5 pounds?
      July 2, 2017 6:55 PM MDT

Can I reasonably infer from average weight that the average weight of the heads of the persons who did not vote for trump is at least about 7 pounds?
      July 3, 2017 11:50 AM MDT

• Yes....and that is because they have larger brains
      July 3, 2017 12:15 PM MDT

Absolutely...
      July 3, 2017 12:16 PM MDT

Whales have larger brains. Mass is a factor not a determinate. Strength of neural connections and speed of transmission may be more important before housing comes into play.
      July 4, 2017 5:46 PM MDT

We were talking about one specific species---humans (not whales) and the weight of their heads with and without a brain. This post was edited by tom jackson at July 5, 2017 12:05 PM MDT
      July 5, 2017 11:49 AM MDT

I don't think it's NYC, but it's close!

July 2, 2017 7:09 PM MDT

It's at your nearest Burger King.
      July 2, 2017 7:12 PM MDT

• Depends on which Babylon you're talking about. There are two spoken of in the Bible. The literal physical city of Babylon was originally built by Nimrod after the flood. It was located on the Euphrates River, about 55 miles south of where Baghdad, Iraq stands today. The name Babylon came from the Tower of Babel that was constructed there. Jeremiah’s prophesied destruction of Babylon was accomplished, and, just as the prophecy said, it has never been inhabited to this day. But if Babylon is never to be rebuilt, why are two entire chapters of the book of Revelation devoted to the destruction of Babylon? And why is the destruction of Babylon clearly described as occurring at the time of Armageddon?

If you read Revelation chapters 17 and 18, you will see that it describes the second Babylon called "Mystery Babylon." Now compare what the Bible describes with a church that exists now and you will see that Mystery Babylon  is the Vatican, the Roman Catholic Church.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 4, 2017 5:29 PM MDT
      July 2, 2017 7:52 PM MDT

It's far more likely to be Islam. The RC Church is shrinking.
      July 2, 2017 11:09 PM MDT

I am under the impression that 'Babylon the Great' encompasses all false religion. 'All the Nations' would encompass Catholic Countries, Orthodox Countries, Islamic Countries, as well as those dominated by other religions. After Jehovah confused the languages and scattered the people in ancient Babylon, they took with them pagan doctrines like immortality of the soul to just about everywhere. Pretty much every religion teaches that except for the Bible. God said Adam and Eve would die, Satan said they would not die. This doctrine teaches that everyone is still alive somewhere.

(Revelation 18:1-5) After this I saw another angel descending from heaven with great authority, and the earth was illuminated by his glory. 2 And he cried out with a strong voice, saying: “She has fallen! Babylon the Great has fallen, and she has become a dwelling place of demons and a place where every unclean spirit and every unclean and hated bird lurks! 3 For because of the wine of the passion of her sexual immorality, all the nations have fallen victim, and the kings of the earth committed sexual immorality with her, and the merchants of the earth became rich owing to the power of her shameless luxury.” 4 And I heard another voice out of heaven say: “Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues. 5 For her sins have massed together clear up to heaven, and God has called her acts of injustice to mind.

July 3, 2017 5:34 AM MDT

The Bible does indeed teach that. John 3:16b. "Whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have life everlasting". This post was edited by Slartibartfast at July 4, 2017 5:35 PM MDT
      July 4, 2017 5:25 PM MDT

Hi Slartibartfast. I had to read that a couple of times in relation to my post to figure out what your point likely was. Are you saying that they don't die?

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G622&t=NASB
    1. to destroy

1. to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to ruin

2. render useless

3. to kill

4. to declare that one must be put to death

5. metaph. to devote or give over to eternal misery in hell

6. to perish, to be lost, ruined, destroyed

2. to destroy

1. to lose

The Bible shows that there would be a future resurrection and that everlasting life was a reward bestowed upon the righteous based on the ransom sacrifice of Jesus Christ, rather than in inherent immortal soul. Ruling with Jesus in heaven wasn't to be a provision for a limited number until after Jesus' death and after some time in the future after Jesus went back to heaven to prepare a place for them.

Did you notice that David and John the baptist didn't go to heaven? The Bible speaks of a future resurrection of which David and John would be part of.

(Ecclesiastes 9:5) For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten.
    (Ecclesiastes 9:10) Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going.
    (Psalm 146:3, 4) Do not put your trust in princes Nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation.  4 His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish.
    (John 3:16) “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.
    (John 6:40) For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who recognizes the Son and exercises faith in him should have everlasting life, and I will resurrect him on the last day.”
    (Romans 6:23) For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord.

(Luke 7:28) I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John, but a lesser person in the Kingdom of God is greater than he is.”
    (Acts 2:34) For David did not ascend to the heavens, but he himself says, ‘Jehovah said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand
    (Acts 24:15) And I have hope toward God, which hope these men also look forward to, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.
    (John 5:28, 29) Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.

(Psalm 37:10, 11) Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.
    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.

July 5, 2017 4:47 AM MDT

Since you speak of Islam you may find this interesting. https://youtu.be/WhLTT85Ite8
      July 4, 2017 5:39 PM MDT

Long video O-uknow, but if you know even a little about Islam you'll know within the first two minutes that it is completely off track. Islam DOES NOT have any official symbol equivalent to the cross or crucifix in Christianity. The crescent moon is important to Muslims ONLY because the "new" moon marks the beginning of every month in the Islamic calendar. The stars helped the Muslims navigate on land and on sea. From there on it is very clear that the video is either the blind misguiding the blind or the manipulative brainwashing the unthinking.

Just one verse from the Qur'an is enough to discredit the whole basis of the video. HQ 41:37 CLEARLY STATES THAT "among His [God's] signs [that He exists] are the night and the day, as well as the sun and the moon. So, prostrate not [WORSHIP NOT] the sun or the moon, but prostrate yourselves before God [worship God] who has created them -[these signs which point to His existence] if it is only Him [God] that you exclusively serve"
      July 5, 2017 6:14 AM MDT

Babble on.

July 2, 2017 8:02 PM MDT

• I'm pretty sure those are all different cities. 
      July 2, 2017 9:35 PM MDT

neither
      July 2, 2017 9:44 PM MDT

its possible
      July 3, 2017 11:45 AM MDT

Neither---It's Tuxedo Park, NY---The World Headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses.
      July 3, 2017 11:52 AM MDT

HA! You could be right.
      July 3, 2017 12:49 PM MDT

https://youtu.be/WhLTT85Ite8
      July 4, 2017 5:47 PM MDT