Active Now

Malizz
CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What has been the most despicable thing a politician has done in the past up to this point?

What has been the most despicable thing a politician has done in the past up to this point?

There have been politicians refusal to hold town hall meetings with their constituents. Others refused to talk about a health care bill they haven't read. These are just a couple of things off the top of my head.

Posted - July 29, 2017

Responses

Putting party before character, morality, honesty and dignity, and their own political ambitions ahead of what is best for the American people. A complete disgrace.
      July 29, 2017 12:16 PM MDT

I'm not very much a politics expert.
    Adolf Hitler was the first politician to come to my mind. Obviously, I'm thinking of the Holocaust that happened under him. And I read a book that addressed the Armenian Genocide but I forget the politicians who were responsible for that.
      July 29, 2017 12:18 PM MDT

An added comment about my answer -- I went with huge offenses which I don't think was maybe the intent of your question. I did also thought of Ronald Reagan's role in the Iran-Contra Affair -- to me, from what I read, others took "the fall" for him and he seemed to just say, "I don't know anything about it" And people still loved him dearly. And others seemed to have become heroes for their role in it all, too.
    That's all just my opinion.
      July 29, 2017 12:33 PM MDT

Like you, Welby, it is the big things that come to my mind.
      July 29, 2017 7:34 PM MDT

Technically the Armenian Genocide wasn't perpetrated by politcians as such, it was aristocratic Pashas acting on the orders of the Caliph. Many Armenians revile Mustafa Kemal (Ataturk) but fact of the matter is he wasn't there - he was directing the defense of the Gallipoli penisula against British invasion at the time (every Australian learns the history of that campaign, the Poms sacrificed thousands of us in what was essentially a feint). Ataturk did lead a military campaign against Armenians who supported a French invasion in 1919 in direct contravention of the Treaty of Versailles, but that isn't considered part of the genocide either - it was a military action in keeping with the rules of war.
      July 29, 2017 10:38 PM MDT

Thanks for the help, Slartibartfast!
    :)
      July 30, 2017 5:32 AM MDT

You choose:

Steal an election

Steal two of them

Betray the nation

Kill innocent bystanders for political gain.

July 29, 2017 12:48 PM MDT

• The fascists and Nazis have take title. 
      July 29, 2017 1:57 PM MDT

Like "A Sound of Thunder," I was along the same lines with you again.
    :)
      July 29, 2017 6:38 PM MDT

• You are receiving my mental beams.
      July 29, 2017 7:35 PM MDT

not sure
      July 29, 2017 2:58 PM MDT

Leaving Trump and his whole list aside :P I was a bit horrified when Theresa May  said that if she won the election she would try to remove the fox hunting ban... that totally put me off her.. I think that's a retrograde step and a horribly unnecessary one.  I can only hope that the rest of the pols vote against it and/or that she's so busy trying to Brexit without getting egg on her face that she forgets.
      July 29, 2017 4:26 PM MDT

Thank you.;-)
      July 29, 2017 6:43 PM MDT

lying constantly
    never taking responsibility
    Blaming others constantly
    always wants to be in the spotlight
    and be the center of attention
    always thinking He is the greatest
    .....remind you of anyone???
      July 29, 2017 6:48 PM MDT

Harry Truman did THIS, twice.

July 29, 2017 10:41 PM MDT

This is really a case of "spoilt for choice," as there are so many of them around the world. If you are going for the big stuff, Pol Pot's massacres in Cambodia are easily the worst.
      July 31, 2017 8:46 AM MDT