Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Despite all the sturm und drang about him, President Trump's approval rating has hovered around 40% for several months.

Despite all the sturm und drang about him, President Trump's approval rating has hovered around 40% for several months.

Why do you think this is? And are these polls as inaccurate as those that promised a Clinton victory last November?

Posted - August 1, 2017

Responses

Guess it's his loyal "he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue" base. Though I put little stock in polls, especially after Clinton's defeat.
      August 1, 2017 10:12 AM MDT

Just WHO proofs the polls?  We cannot even get anyone to count the damned votes correctly.   Most people cannot STAND Trump.  Most people do not count.  When a society is dysfunctional like ours is, most people do not represent the wants and needs of the many.

Most people are not filthy rich.  Most people do not have the wealth necessary to actually move against the minority of rich Feudal Lords reigning over the oppressed.

August 1, 2017 10:15 AM MDT

He could shoot someone on 5th Avenue....
    and the creeps that support him are definitely the real ISSUE.

August 1, 2017 10:18 AM MDT

August 1, 2017 10:29 AM MDT

Look.  I have 10 year's worth of pictures at my disposal.  I must use them up and share my brilliance.

A picture is worth 10,000,000 words. 

Oh. Wait. 

I thought you meant MY head. 

Reason?

1. I am a narcisist (sp)
    2. It fits me too, the head exploding thing.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 1, 2017 4:02 PM MDT
      August 1, 2017 10:31 AM MDT

Lol.... I did mean YOUR head.   ;-)
      August 1, 2017 10:44 AM MDT

Oh.

Well, shut the front door and take my money. 

August 1, 2017 6:42 PM MDT

The polls are fake. It's just an attempt to create a self fulfilling prophecy. The system knows that people like to be in the winning team and are embarrassed to associate with losers.

All the anti Trump propaganda doesn't really change anyone's mind. Though it will make people less outspoken in their support.

All these polls do is make the left over confident. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at August 4, 2017 11:01 PM MDT
      August 1, 2017 11:19 AM MDT

These data aren't from just one poll, but the RealClearPolitics average of 9 different ones, including right-biased ones such as Rasmussen Reports and Fox News and left-leaning ones such as ABC News/Washington Post and Bloomberg -https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

Do you seriously believe that all these reputable polls, including the one conducted by Fox News, are fake and anti-Trump propaganda? Maybe you need to read more. I suggest you familiarize yourself with www.realclearpolitics.com.
      August 1, 2017 2:28 PM MDT

The mainstream media globally is owned by 5 mega corporations and their interests align. There is no difference between right leaning and left leaning media outlets. They have the same agenda, they just understand that you have to sell people a little of what they wish to hear. They aim to keep public opinion in pretty narrow window. The system doesn't care whether an establishment Republican or an establishment Democrat is in the white house. They are more or less identical in practice. Only the rhetoric is different. Though they get very worried when a politician goes outside that.

The entire establishment hates Trump's guts. Fox hates his guts. They just can't say so openly because if they did they'd have no viewers. They have to be a bit more subtle.

I read plenty but I listen to sources with a track record of being right. Polling agencies have a track record of getting it wrong.
      August 1, 2017 3:22 PM MDT

If Fox News hates him so much, how do you account for fanboy Sean Hannity?
      August 1, 2017 4:10 PM MDT

Bullshit, Fox is in Trump's pocket because he and Rupert are best buds.
      August 2, 2017 6:50 PM MDT

probably cause people dont seem to like him
      August 1, 2017 12:39 PM MDT

Polls can be unreliable... but to suggest they are all/always wrong is naive too.. SO we cannot tell from just one poll.. however, where there are lots of polls it's less easy to dismiss - much depends on the methodology and sample size..  

However, to answer your question honestly and seriously, if we assume they are real..or some of them are.. then what it probably indicates is that the same number of people who didn't like him still don't.. and that those who do support him are firmly steadfast in their belief that he is acceptable as a pres.
      August 1, 2017 1:58 PM MDT

Good answer! Here's the article that inspired the question - https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2017/08/01/five_theories_on_trumps_stable_approval_rating__134624.html

You basically hit the nail on the head for first of the five theories:

Theory 1: The GOP Base and Strong Democrats Are Immovable Objects  

One way to explain Trump’s stable approval is to simply look at who does and doesn’t approve of him and how strongly they hold those views. The situation is simple: Trump has a high approval rating among the GOP base and low approval ratings among the Democratic base, and unless there are truly exceptional circumstances, neither group will change their mind.

And BTW, these data aren't from just one poll, but from the RealClearPolitics average of 9 different ones, including right-biased ones such as Rasmussen Reports and Fox News and left-leaning ones such as ABC News/Washington Post and Bloomberg.

This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at August 1, 2017 2:35 PM MDT
      August 1, 2017 2:19 PM MDT

Actually, one of the reasons I soured on polls was because I was tracking RealClearPolitics for most of the presidential race. Almost every poll had Clinton ahead right up until the end. The only exceptions were usually Fox News and the LA Times.
      August 1, 2017 2:47 PM MDT

Indeed they did. That was partly what inspired my question. Folks like Sharonna, Rosie, and others are still apoplectic about it almost 9 months after the fact.
      August 1, 2017 4:05 PM MDT

I'm no Trump fan but I do wish someone could find a way to put out that fire.
      August 1, 2017 4:20 PM MDT

Not happening.

August 1, 2017 6:44 PM MDT

Which is probably why there's about 20 people left on the whole site.
      August 1, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

Guess what?  There has always been about 20. No matter what.  LOL
      August 1, 2017 6:54 PM MDT

A lot of good contributors left. And you know I'm not talking about you being the problem. I try to be understanding about whatever the heck her issues are, but it gets tiring. I can see why people would leave.
      August 1, 2017 7:00 PM MDT

Um I think I know what the problem is.

She is batshit crazy. 

If you believe in something higher than human beings is that something higher compassionate/merciful or judgmental/terrifying? Why?    LOL

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 1, 2017 7:09 PM MDT
      August 1, 2017 7:03 PM MDT

Lol.... it's just frustrating that "batshit crazy" is allowed to dominate the site unchecked. It's very unfair to other users.

Bleh, what's the point? Nothing's gonna change.   :-(
      August 1, 2017 7:09 PM MDT