Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » To those against the death penalty, are there ANY circumstances where you would make an exception?

To those against the death penalty, are there ANY circumstances where you would make an exception?

A mass murderer?  If someone murdered your entire family?  

Posted - October 16, 2017

Responses

My opposition has nothing to do with your question. It has to do with the possibility of innocent people being executed, for example as described here - https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/executed-possibly-innocent

I also believe that a life sentence in a maximum security prison without the possibility of parole is actually harder on the convict, and that the state should not "play god," similar to the belief of those who oppose abortion.
      October 16, 2017 1:59 PM MDT

Other than your play god, our reasoning is exactly the same. If we can condone one how can we then not condone things like the beheadings or stonings carried out by those in the middle east who are following their laws.
      October 16, 2017 2:42 PM MDT

im not against it but sometimes i think death is too easy, they need to suffer in jail for a while instead
      October 16, 2017 3:59 PM MDT

If I got into a red hot rage.
      October 16, 2017 4:44 PM MDT

Nope. A jury can get it wrong. The last man to be executed in Australia, Ronald Ryan, was later proven innocent of the murder he was hanged for. Imagine if Rubin "Hurricane" Carter had been executed after being convicted by a kangaroo court, despite one victim exonerating him before he died?
    As for some criminals, death is actually too good for them. No punishment. Life, without possibility of parole, is better. Bring back the cat o' nine. Hard labour, the barest minimum of amenities (no TV, no gym).
      October 16, 2017 5:11 PM MDT

Reminds me of this tombstone in Tombstone:
    Image result for tombstone he was innocent hung him anyway
      October 18, 2017 7:16 AM MDT

• Yes.
    But they are unlikely to occur in my part of the world.
    The Australian Indigenous nations had the death penalty for the worst offenses and varying levels of severity in corporal punishment for lesser offences. This is because they had no buildings and therefore no gaols (jails).
    If you cannot keep a person contained or under control and they represent a real danger to others, then death is the only option.
    One other consideration is proof of guilt. In small communities such as the Aboriginal, the evidence is clear to track and the culprit is always known
      October 16, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

Never would I agree we should kill a convicted man.  People can be wrong.  People have been wrong.  People will be wrong again and again.  We must err on the side of life.  For the truly guilty being incarcerated away from society is the proper punishment.

I would rather see 100 guilty men go free than to see one innocent man wrongly convicted. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 17, 2017 12:46 AM MDT
      October 17, 2017 12:45 AM MDT

If the heads of the governments , involved in the  issue of death penalty, agreed not to pursue the imposition of the death penalty to the offender charged, for purposes of clemency under the canopy of heaven. For example, the domestic helper killed her employer allegedly to defend herself from the abuses of the latter. In accordance to  the country's law where the crime was committed, death penalty be imposed in its strictest level. The President of the country where the domestic helper originated sought the clemency of the counterpart to lower the penalty. 
      October 18, 2017 7:28 AM MDT