Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » What book or author has moved you/affected you profoundly or even seeped into your very core?

What book or author has moved you/affected you profoundly or even seeped into your very core?

I think for me it's been Donald Harington... I have been reading his books now since 2014 apparently, (I looked up when I bought the first book) and the thing is.... I just cannot understand why everyone's not shouting his name from the rooftops!  In case anyone's unfamiliar with his work he is an American author, who writes, mostly fictionally, about a (mostly) fictional town in the Ozarks.  

We hear about Steinbeck... and others...but not Harington... odd because imo he's truly the most talented and imaginative author I have ever encountered and, dare I say it, that includes my favourites Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. 

I feel like part of me resides in the Ozarks.. well my mind does... and that's quite a feat really when you think about it - that a Brit who has never seen, nor experienced that territory almost feels as though part of it resides within. 

So what books/authors have gripped you in such a way?

Posted - February 6, 2018

Responses

"Play of Consciousness"
    by Swami Muktananda
      February 6, 2018 8:32 AM MST

I can imagine that would be your cup of tea. It does sound interesting. Might give it a go myself :)
      February 6, 2018 12:12 PM MST

One of the books would be The Jungle,  by Upton Sinclair.  I've not read anything by Donald Harington yet, but I will now.  
      February 6, 2018 12:47 PM MST

And I love book recommendations so will be adding the Jungle to my list too :) 
      February 6, 2018 2:12 PM MST

"The Jungle" really got to me, too. Strong stuff.
      November 3, 2019 8:50 PM MST

Jonathon Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
    Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
    The Magus by John Fowles
    The Giving Tree by Shel Silversteen
    The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery Translation by Robert Howard
    Fiddler on the Roof by Joesph Stein
    The Sound of Music by Howard Lindsay and Russell Crouse

Even though the last two are musicals, they did have an important impact on my life and upbringing.  Some of these books may be considered children's books. They may be.  To me,  they are all about learning and being an adult. 

February 6, 2018 3:04 PM MST

Hi Merlin- - I'm in a rough, sad, down mood I admit -- but I also respect your thoughts and input.  I can't help but share my thoughts on "The Giving Tree."
    I remember my first and only reaction to "The Giving Tree" - - it remains my impression of the book

- -- what a selfish, selfish man!! And he took advantage of that tree at every turn of his life and NEVER said a single "Thank You" to the tree. Would just walk up and say, "Hey, I need this." And the tree just kept giving and giving of literally itself, its own body, until it died and what does the man then do at the end? Sit his a** down on it!

I realize the moral should be about giving out of love- - but that tree gave way too much of itself in my opinion and that ungrateful man . . . I can't find it in me to forgive him for his treatment of that tree.

Boy, I know, I'm taking it WAY too literally and seriously.
    :)

And I apologize for my interpretation. Hell, that's all I've done all day -- apologize. Why stop now?
      February 6, 2018 8:37 PM MST

Hi Welby~ I know this is a hard time for you and I wish I could take away the sadness.  I send you twinkling wisps of magic that you can reach out and touch.  Please remember they are there and will help you smile.  Only you can see them because they are yours... from me to you. 
    In addition to your already melancholy mood at the moment, please don't feel badly about how you perceived, "The Giving Tree."  You got it!  You understood one of the many interruptions this book has to offer. 
    I cried and cried again the first time I read this book.  I wasn't a child. I was 15.  I didn't understand how the boy could be so callous and not feel or see all the tree was giving for him. 
    You know me.  Like you, I understood the tree.  It lived its whole life for this boys happiness. That is all that tree felt was important.  How could this spoiled brat of human not see this????  It infuriated me to no end.
    Since the boy was so belligerently egocentric, I thought of all the ways I would make this tree happier.  I would plant another tree next to her so she would have a friend.  I would give her lights on her birthday and invite squirrels and birds over to meet her.  They would love her and make their homes there.  All of them could play together and she would like this and not feel so alone and left out.  She couldn't go anywhere because she was a tree and had roots.  But the birds and the squirrels would have houses there and come back every year.  
    Then, one day, while I was planning her happiness and all the things that arrogant boy neglected, I realized something.  
    She had just, "unconditionally given" to me. :) In her secretly wonderful, caring way, she taught me something about me.
    Every time I read this little book, I cry.  It sends many different messages to people.  I think that is the beauty of this tree.  She continually "gives."  
    Some people gathered these from her branches.
     *1. Don’t Keep Score
    Humans are naturally concerned with fairness, justice, and equality—especially when it comes to themselves.She gives and gives and gives, never expecting anything in return, never asking for her due, never REMINDING the Boy of all she has sacrificed. It’s not martyrdom, it’s just unchecked altruism. In her infinite wisdom, the Tree knows nothing is ever really lost or gained, neither scientifically nor spiritually,

2. Go Barefoot
    What are those things you’re wearing? Stilettos? Unforgiving loafers? Steel-toed boots? Those sandals inspired by gladiators that provide both the arch support and fashion sense of mousetraps? Well, take off those podiatric prisons and get your poor bunions into some sand or grass or mud ASAP! Why? Kids have long known that going shoeless creates feelings of freedom and glee—maybe because contact with nature neutralizes our stressed positive ions with beneficial negative ones, but more probably because we’re giving ourselves permission to break the rules. In The Giving Tree, you’ll notice that The Boy is almost always barefoot—that is, until the temptations of the material world come calling, convincing him to pull himself up by his bootstraps and head into the Big Apple to sell all the little ones. Sigh.

. You Can’t Outrun Your Problems
    Life is hard and complicated. So is facing your fears and regrets and wildest dreams and death. But if you ever find yourself so distraught with your predicament that you are willing to sacrifice all, think before you do.  This penultimate request from the Boy (for the Tree’s whole trunk!) always struck me as the saddest, the most rock bottom-est moment of the book, and Shel illustrated the hopelessness so well. The lesson here is a good one: giving in isn’t giving up. Keep with you the things that you hold dear.

Say Please and thank you.  I noticed the boy never says these through the book and that has always bothered me.

. Let Love Rule
    You probably think that the Tree got the raw deal in this book. That love really isn’t the answer, because, hey! Just look where unconditional love got her. Well, let me counter by saying: Just look where not-loving got the Boy. If everyone just acted on love instead of fear, we’d be a lot better off.

* These were quoted from:  B&N READS  10 Things Shel Silverstein's "The Giving Tree" Taught Us (Besides Giving, That Is)

Lots of love and hugs, always, Welby!  Love, Merlin

This post was edited by Merlin at November 3, 2019 9:02 PM MST
      February 7, 2018 1:24 AM MST

Thanks so much, Merlin.
    I'm having trouble concentrating a bit at the moment. I got to the bold print lists in your answer. I will come back to read it all later.
    I appreciate your kindness!
      February 7, 2018 8:42 AM MST

Please forgive me, Merlin, for that Giving Tree tirade. I'm the only one I know who reacted/reacts to the book this way. I realize and respect that it's one of your favorites and I hope I didn't offend you with my words.
    Sincerely,
    WelbyQuentin This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 3, 2019 9:02 PM MST
      February 6, 2018 10:08 PM MST

Welby... You are so sweet.  You didn't offend me at all!!  I got very engrossed in writing you back I took forever.   This is because I care so dearly for you.  You are more than welcome to feel that way about this book. I did too!  Your opinion and how it affected you is just as valid and important as everyone elses.  I loved that fact you were proud and put it out there!!!  I am right there with ya :)
    Lots of hugs and warm thoughts to you always!!
    Love,
    Merlin 
      February 7, 2018 1:43 AM MST

Thanks for responding to my comment here, too, Merlin.
    I appreciate your understanding.
      February 7, 2018 8:43 AM MST

My parents liked musicals and my father took me into NYC (we lived an hour away) to see Man Of LaMancha and Fiddler On the Roof and The Happy Time etc. when they were playing. 
      February 7, 2018 6:32 AM MST

Authors Shirley Jackson and Flannery O'Connor.

Everything I've read by either of them truly blows me away -- few, if any, authors NAIL the darker side of all of us humans. And they do it all in such quite, gentle, calm, understated yet disturbing ways!!
    (Forget , supposedly, Stephen King -- who everyone seemingly thinks is so good at the dark side stuff- - Jackson and O'Connor are in a realm to themselves to me.)

Highlights for me :

O'Connor's "Good Country People" and "A Good Man Is Hard To Find"- - both short stories

Jackson -- novels "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" and "The Sundial"

And, for the same reasons, also, I'd add the short stories of Raymond Carver

And the works of Franz Kafka and Fyador Dostoevsky

I've not read Harington -- intrigued now though.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at November 3, 2019 9:02 PM MST
      February 6, 2018 8:45 PM MST

The Bible and Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now.
      February 6, 2018 9:14 PM MST

On the Nature and Evolution of Female Sexuality by Mary Jane Sherfey.  Which an older man I was living with years ago (I was still a teenager) gave me to read.  The Bible of course.  Some Men Are More Perfect Than Others by I think Merle LeShain.  Tasha Tudor's Garden by Tovah Martin. 
      February 7, 2018 6:28 AM MST

none lately
      February 11, 2018 2:59 PM MST

I've read a whole lot of books in my life but the single book that has affected me as you described in your question is the Bible.
      February 12, 2018 4:30 PM MST

WOW......I'd have to say Leo Tolstoy and Marcel Proust......and yes, I read "War & Peace" and "In Search of Lost Time"

both of them in the newest translations........Proust is slow going, to be sure, but once I was at the library, (this was back in the 1960s) & saw it on the shelf..

I opened it and it fell open to the start of a chapter about halfway through.....wellllll I stood there and read it, mesmerized by the writing of this guy!!!

I immediately knew I just HAD to read it................

well..........months and years went by,,,,,,never got past the 1st volume ( there are six altogether!)

then in the late 1980s a newer translation came out.....I bought it and read it and FINISHED IT..........it's slow going, but well worth it!!! so actually? only took me over 30 years to actually read the whole thing!!!

some have said he takes too long to say a simple thing, like, one whole page to describe just waking up!  ah, but you never read about anyone waking up the way he writes it!!.........it really holds your interest.

Hard to explain, i know.............as for "War & Peace"...........WOW Tolstoy is incredible too, in his own way..

kinda like, Proust is the 'dreamy' guy and Tolstoy the 'realist' guy.

both are TREMENDOUS AUTHORS,,,,just in their own ways.........

and as usual I've gone on too long, AGAIN!!  LOL..... but anyway just had to share all this with you.........
      August 23, 2018 8:56 AM MDT

Years before he became a famous author, Frank was my favorite teacher in high school, the building pictured on the cover of "Teacher Man." All three of these thus had a big impact on me.

November 3, 2019 9:17 PM MST

I've not read any of his stuff but have heard great things about his work. That's cool you know him.
      November 4, 2019 9:44 AM MST

I wish I could say that I know him today. I knew him as my junior English teacher c. 1976-77 (the "Teacher Man" cover photo could've been taken in our class), but he died in 2009. I always thought I would meet him again, but it never happened.
      November 4, 2019 10:02 AM MST

Aw.
    Darn.
    :(
      November 4, 2019 10:09 AM MST

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth ...
      November 3, 2019 11:51 PM MST