Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Do you do anything the old-fashioned way? Like hand washing clothes or cooking over a fire?

Do you do anything the old-fashioned way? Like hand washing clothes or cooking over a fire?

Posted - February 6, 2018

Responses

My wife and I do not have a dishwasher (appliance) in our home, and even in the past, when we lived in apartments that had dishwashers, for instance, we've never used them.
    ~
      February 6, 2018 8:47 AM MST

My next door neighbor and I bought our homes around the same time.  We both did total renovations.  When she gutted her kitchen she added a 24 inch cabinet instead of replacing the DW.  She said she doesn't like using them.  I, on the other hand love having one.  It's just what we each prefer.  I go a week or so not using it after I run it sometimes.  Then when I cook a full meal I use it for cleaning up.  While I'm eating the leftovers for three or four days I just wash the dishes I use.  But, I would not have a kitchen without one. 
      February 6, 2018 9:00 AM MST

It's about time you stepped up to the plate and any other Dishes apart from me to hand wash then ain't it....  Hehe.  
      February 6, 2018 5:34 PM MST

I do not mind washing dishes by hand either.
    It does the job well.
    Thank you for your response.
      February 6, 2018 8:55 AM MST

I have a dishwasher, but I still will do any pots and pans by hand.  
      February 6, 2018 11:49 AM MST

Yes, I'm sure I do.  I make those kinds of decisions based on best outcome rather than if it's old fashioned.
      February 6, 2018 9:01 AM MST

no, im too lazy for that
      February 6, 2018 10:34 AM MST

Depends on what I want at the time and what I need at the time.
    Sometimes there is no time to run the dishwasher. 
    Sometimes if camping I want grilled food over the fire.

February 6, 2018 10:40 AM MST

Yummy.
    I would love to have some grilled food from a campfire right about now.
      February 6, 2018 10:47 AM MST

• "I don't own or use a mobile phone."
    "I don't have TV service in my home."
    "I still watch black & white movies."
      February 6, 2018 11:46 AM MST

I think I could happily ditch my mobile phone.  I don't like being THAT available to anyone unless it's an emergency.
      February 6, 2018 11:50 AM MST

• Ditto ...
      February 6, 2018 11:55 AM MST

Ever been to a restaurant where an entire family will have their phones out?  Why even pay to go out to dinner together.  I don't get it and my own family gets annoyed when I don't answer my calls right away.  I usually leave my phone at home when I run my errands.   
      February 6, 2018 12:01 PM MST

• Or visiting a friend and their children are sitting on the same couch texting each other!  :))
      February 7, 2018 10:29 AM MST

Yup!!
      February 7, 2018 10:37 AM MST

Triple-dog with ya!  I didn't like it when they added call-waiting.  It still drives me nuts.  
      February 6, 2018 1:48 PM MST

Sounds like a very peaceful life.
      February 6, 2018 1:59 PM MST

• Nothing wrong with peaceful. :))  Welcome to AnswerMug, Chloe!  I hope you enjoy your stay. 

February 7, 2018 10:25 AM MST

My immediate response was... that it's probably a matter of perspective isn't it? I remember my daughter being astonished at the very idea of a sony walkman cassette player.. it was so alien to her!  And she barely knows what to call *records* or vinyl as they now call it.. So in time maybe a microwave will be called old-fashioned.

Thinking about it.. I often wash dishes by hand, we call it washing up. I wash my car by hand, with a bucket and sponge.. there's probably loads of other things too but can't think of them at the moment.  
      February 6, 2018 12:26 PM MST

I definitely do not wash my car by hand.
    You must be a hard worker.

February 6, 2018 1:51 PM MST

We have two dishwashers in our house......me and my wife....
      February 6, 2018 1:06 PM MST

I much prefer Anne washing my cloths and I don't want to be cooked over anything as I'm Hot enough thank you....:( 
      February 6, 2018 1:54 PM MST

There are many things I do that are family traditions.  I'm sure they apply to old.  I'm not sure if anyone else does them but I do.  They are fun, goofy things that our family created to do around holidays, birthdays, etc.
    As far as appliance usage, WOW!  I must be in the dark ages. We do have a stove and an oven but not a toaster.  I turn the oven on broil for Sunday Breakfast toast. We still eat real butter and not margarine.  
    We do have a blender but not a food-processor.  It is ancient.  I think it was the first design they made for blenders.  We don't have electric beaters.  I use a whisk.  I still use wooden spoons to make bread.  Really, I do make bread!  
    I grow many of our own herbs and spices.  I also grow many of our vegetables.  
    I hand wash all my dedicates and have been known to wash all our clothes by hand.  I hang our clothes out to dry.  We do have a dryer but it is environmentally correct to hang them out and it makes your clothes  smell great.  Don hates it when I do this because he thinks it looks messy.  I think it is a better way to help the environment and our electric bill.  

There are many traditions and things I do the old-fashioned way and many others I do the modern way, like this computer,  for example.
    As far as the phones............... don't get me started.  Let's just say for the next three years I am going to pay for a phone with features that I will never use, don't want to use, and have no desire to learn.
    I think they are driving a HUGE wall between human connection and physical interaction (not sexually, just interacting.)  I don't like them; however, I Do know to keep up with the times, I Must  have one. This post was edited by Merlin at February 6, 2018 10:16 PM MST
      February 6, 2018 1:59 PM MST

I applaud you helping the environment and making bread and growing your own vegetables.
    It sounds like you are able to do a lot and are quite self sufficient.
    I do think the world is much different now because of cell phones.
    Thank you for your very detailed response.
      February 6, 2018 4:44 PM MST