Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Which one of these poses the worst problem to health: ice cream, mayonnaise, garlic bread, high fructose corn syrup soda, cheese, pepperoni?

Which one of these poses the worst problem to health: ice cream, mayonnaise, garlic bread, high fructose corn syrup soda, cheese, pepperoni?

Posted - February 11, 2018

Responses

Hey, thanks Nice Jugs.
    :)

Yes, as much as I think I could drink a LOT of cola, I do consciously keep it down to a low level of consumption.
      February 12, 2018 8:32 PM MST

I understand....it's no different from smoking and alcohol  ......I knew a young girl at school that drunk three  litres a day.......it made her so I'll but she hooked on the stuff..... 
    Pour bodies are not designed to have that much processed sugar.....

I never thought you were being disrespectruly...... Xxx
      February 12, 2018 3:47 PM MST

Please explain the difference between processed and unprocessed sugar. What is the processing procedure? How does this procedure make it worse for you?
      February 13, 2018 7:11 AM MST

Sugar naturally occurs in many foods and our body processes it. However in industrially processing foods to emphasize certain elements what happens is that you are breaking down those foods and simplifying their chemical structures.  Which simplified structures are more a shock for our body to process so it  overworks itself to do that and in order to do this it has to borrow nutrients that we could otherwise use more positively. 
      February 13, 2018 7:28 AM MST

Our bodies only use monosaccharides...glucose, fructose and galactose. All other sugars are di or polysaccharides. Table sugar is sucrose, occuring naturally in cane and beet commercially. The refining process merely removes the impurities and does not change the chemical composition of the sucrose. WE process the sucrose to 2 glucose molecules for 'fuel'. I don't know what you mean 'shock for our body'.
      February 13, 2018 7:59 AM MST

Sorry I meant more complex sugars. Not very good at science!
      February 13, 2018 8:04 AM MST

Refined white sugar and natural sugars in fruits......that fuctose stuff as well is suppose to be really unhealthy......and how anyone can bare the tastes of artificial sweeteners is beyond me....one drop of artificial Coke and it taints my palette for hours.....the artificial muck should be banned...  
      February 14, 2018 1:51 AM MST

The key phrase in your response is 'supposed to be unhealthy'. Says who? You MUST have some sugar in your diet...or you will die. All non single-ring sugars and more complex carbohydrates are converted to glucose for use as fuel. Don't let 'so-called' experts make you think otherwise. Do the research.

February 14, 2018 7:37 AM MST

I had replied and it seems to have disappeared. Or the comments are out of order or something. I'm confused a bit. But thanks, NiceJugs. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 13, 2018 7:28 AM MST
      February 13, 2018 7:27 AM MST

Cola is particularly bad as the phosphoric acid in it leaches calcium from the bones. 
      February 13, 2018 7:16 PM MST

We never drink fizzy can drinks......they taste far to sweet and God knows what harm the muck their made from does to our bodies......wasted calories and partly why there are so many obese people wandering about....
    Its totally manafactures fault for making and selling such products....governments as well for letting it continue...
    profits must come before health issues though  
      February 14, 2018 2:00 AM MST

You have never tasted soda made with real sugar, have you? Look for Hansens or Jones brand names. Or buy a bottle of root beer flavor and make your own. You will be surprised.
      February 12, 2018 9:43 PM MST

I bought some Jones's sodas...WAY too sweet. This post was edited by Element 99 at February 13, 2018 7:29 AM MST
      February 13, 2018 7:09 AM MST

Yeah, I have tasted Pepsi made with real sugar. I liked it. But it all tastes good to me. though I really did like this real-sugar Pepsi.
    I just try not to drink too much soda in general. Lately I'm failing.
      February 13, 2018 7:31 AM MST

• Dude. Honestly. I had a telling twilight dream. It simply consisted of
    somebody or something saying soda has zero thirst quenching properties.
    That's it. This means it probably is an illusion that it does. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 13, 2018 7:11 AM MST
      February 11, 2018 9:06 PM MST

You're right. I've heard that, too.

But I don't drink it to quench my thirst.
    I drink it because it tastes good to me.

February 11, 2018 9:08 PM MST

mayonnaise soda
      February 11, 2018 9:09 PM MST

Thank you for making me laugh.
      February 12, 2018 8:48 AM MST

Makes a great cheese or garlic bread dip.
      February 13, 2018 7:13 AM MST

This pose:

The title is: "Mayo and corn syrup on cheese"
      February 11, 2018 9:24 PM MST

• Oh mannn...
      February 12, 2018 8:23 PM MST

High fructose corn syrup anything. The others on the list have some (if very little) nutritional value. Soda has none.
      February 11, 2018 9:45 PM MST

Sugar is an absolute nutritional necessity. Egg yolks (mayo) are one of best foods you can eat. Ice cream and cheese...dairy fats, also good for you. It's not the foods...It's the over-indulgence that kills.
      February 13, 2018 7:17 AM MST

The human body can derive all of the glucose (sugar) it requires from startches - via the action of the amylase enzyme on the starch molecule. That kind of sugar is necessary.
    High GI sugars aren't, fructose gives you a short term boost that leaves you flat afterwards - and if you don't burn it, it's stored as fat. Sucrose is even worse, it's not readily metabolised so is almost always stored unless you're expending a lot of energy.
    Egg yolks are good - they contain everything a baby chicken needs before it hatches. The LDLPs are less good but there really isn't a lot of those. Eggs also contain Omega-3 which is very healthful.
    I'm not cavilling at dairy products either - milk solids are high in calcium which is vital to skeletal health. Some sodas, particularly cola, actually leach calcium from the bones (phosphoric acid), another good reason to consume in the strictest moderation or avoid them entirely.
      February 13, 2018 6:40 PM MST

I drink a soda every six months to remind me why I don't. Your starch comment is excellent, but most people don't chew their food enough to make the full conversion. I LOVE cheese and eggs.
      February 14, 2018 7:47 AM MST