Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Has anyone ever advised you not to get married, or not to remarry? If so, who was it and why? ~

Has anyone ever advised you not to get married, or not to remarry? If so, who was it and why? ~

Posted - February 24, 2018

Responses

The priest who peeformed our wedding. He didn't think that either of us was ready, despite my fiancée's pregnancy. That was 29 years ago.
      February 25, 2018 12:20 AM MST

No one has given that advice.  
      February 25, 2018 3:52 AM MST

Yes...my parents actually...They always said it was meaningless and an utter waste of money....I bow to their wisdom and can only agree with them....
    My parents never married and and none of my brother and sisters ever bothered to either...
      February 25, 2018 5:37 AM MST

no cause i never got married
      February 25, 2018 2:51 PM MST

• My parents advised me and my sister against marriage from the time I was quite small.
    Mum had been married before, and Dad twice before.
    Despite the fact that they divorced their former spouses and married each other, they later decided that marriage was unnecessary and probably foolish.
    They decided that if a couple simply cohabit and keep their finances and property separate, then if the two need to separate there is far less than can go wrong and the legalities are simpler.
    My father thought that was better than making vows and breaking them.
    They were not talking of custody battles because both assumed that the children were solely the woman's job.

When Ari and I eventually married in 2000, it was after dating him for 19 years. 
    It was his suggestion but I thought I would enjoy having the relationship recognised and supported by friends - and so it turned out.
    The ceremony and party with 211 people was great fun. My mother stood up and said, "Well, after 19 years, I think if any couple is going to survive their vows, it will probably be these two."
    In a way, the celebration continues when old friends from Sydney and Melbourne come to stay with us. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 18, 2018 12:56 AM MDT
      February 25, 2018 8:20 PM MST

I was advised not to marry at twenty years of age. Looking back i realized at a certain point I was too young when i married. 
      March 29, 2018 10:53 PM MDT

• Nope. No one dared give me that advice because they know I would cut Them out. It’s my own choice. No one knows what is best for me other than me. 
      March 29, 2018 11:02 PM MDT