Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If a river ran out of Eden before Adam was placed into the garden to work it that would mean quite a few years of erosion beforehand, right?

If a river ran out of Eden before Adam was placed into the garden to work it that would mean quite a few years of erosion beforehand, right?

Is Earth really only thousands of years old?  How long does it take to form a river that parts into four headwaters?  thousands?  millions?  billions?  How about the creation of a planet?  7 days?

I don't know the answers.  I want to know the answers.

Posted - March 29, 2018

Responses

Thanks. Appreciate it. :)
      March 31, 2018 12:57 PM MDT

Buddha may have been the only person wise enough to say "leave beginnings for science to determine" -instead of making up some fancy sounding creation myth.
      March 30, 2018 8:58 AM MDT

And I said it, too.
      March 30, 2018 9:02 AM MDT

• I don't deny science, but I also do not deny God.  I believe everything pertaining to God and creation is "fancy", but I do deny creation being a myth.
      March 30, 2018 9:08 AM MDT

I still celebrate Christmyth but not so much believe in creationmyth 
      March 30, 2018 9:32 AM MDT

• That's fine.  I'm just looking for answers.  Thanks for stopping by.
      March 30, 2018 12:21 PM MDT

Not necessarily wise, but certainly practical---especially since for Buddhists, what and how you practice is more fundamental than what you believe.
      March 30, 2018 1:02 PM MDT

I think that both are important. Everlasting life has something to do with taking in knowledge of the Father who is the only true God. How can you worship with truth if you don't know what the truth is?

(John 17:1-3) Jesus spoke these things, and raising his eyes to heaven, he said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your son so that your son may glorify you, 2 just as you have given him authority over all flesh, so that he may give everlasting life to all those whom you have given to him. 3 This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
    (John 4:23, 24) Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for indeed, the Father is looking for ones like these to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.”

(1 Timothy 2:3-6) This is fine and acceptable in the sight of our Savior, God, 4 whose will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all—this is what is to be witnessed to in its own due time.
    (2 Timothy 2:25, 26) instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed. Perhaps God may give them repentance leading to an accurate knowledge of truth, 26 and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the Devil, seeing that they have been caught alive by him to do his will.
    (2 Timothy 3:7) always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth.
      March 31, 2018 6:24 AM MDT

You say, "How can you worship with truth if you don't know what the truth is?"

I agree.

And you are so close to understanding so much more about reality once you accept the existence of the triune God.

But I am not holding my breath.

Persistence in error is not an unusual position for us humans---but you seem more intractable than most I have come across.  (Although upon reflection, my personal experience has been that it is more so in the JW's than even the atheists.))
      March 31, 2018 3:50 PM MDT

We are not in the dark ages of your Church anymore where people could be burned at the stake for reading the Bible.
    As I said in our other thread:
    I guess Christ and God forgot to mention a trinity and third person of such.

(Deuteronomy 6:4) “Listen, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah.
    (Romans 3:30) Since God is one, he will declare circumcised people righteous as a result of faith and uncircumcised people righteous by means of their faith.
    (1 Corinthians 8:6) there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him.
    (Ephesians 4:6) one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
      April 1, 2018 6:21 AM MDT

Just a comment---

A myth is a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events

The purpose of the Genesis "myth" is to show that we exist because a supernatural being created us in a safe environment in which we could thrive, that another being preferred (for his own purposes) that mankind not remain in that state and proceeded to successfully tempt mankind out of that condition, that mankind was responsible for his succumbing to that temptation, and that the creator would in and at the appropriate time establish mankind in an even better position that he enjoyed in the "garden"---which we now know to have been the Resurrection of Christ.

In other words, we were created by a God who loves us and acted---and still acts---in our lives with the intent of helping us attain an even better existence than the one He created us in.

The Genesis account of creation was written with regard to the sophistication of its first audience. I would guess that it was not intended to provide the nascent geologists with a great deal of scientific principles that governed their field.

(critical explanation or interpretation of a text, especially of scripture

The first application is the literal application.
    The second is the allegorical application or “hint of something deeper”.
    The third is the practical application--- how the text can apply to you directly.
    The fourth is the mystical or hidden meaning.)

(Edit:  There's nothing wrong with musing about the answers to the types of questions that interest you. This post was edited by tom jackson at March 31, 2018 7:10 PM MDT
      March 30, 2018 12:54 PM MDT

Tom, you need to expand your sources. A myth is a figure of speech, carefully defined by Greek scholars. Very few people have studied figures in the last two thousand years.

A figure of speech is a departure from the normal patterns of language for the purpose of emphasizing something. The simplest figure of speech is the SIMILE. A simile emphasizes a similarity of two things by merely saying it: "You are like a dog", or "You are as a dog". The figure rests entirely on one word.

A METAPHOR emphasizes a similarity of two things by saying they are the same; "You are a dog".

Next comes a big word: HYPOCATASTASIS. This is a Greek word for name-calling. Hypocatastasis just calls the fellow "Dog!" See Luke 13:32 "that fox", and Genesis 3:1 "the serpent".

A PARABLE is an extended figure of speech; a story based on a simile, metaphor, or hypocatastasis. If the story is possible, it is a MYTH. If the story is impossible, it is a FABLE. If a fable includes an explanation of the meaning, it is an ALLEGORY. Don't confuse any of these with LEGEND, which is a supposedly true but unverified historical account (Adam and Eve, for example).

These terms are not used with any precise meaning in modern discourse. For instance, most people think 'allegory' means "a story full of religious symbolism beyond human comprehension". But when discussing figures of speech they are very precisely defined. Here is a book that lists about 900 figures found in the bible. It is almost the only work in the subject for the last two thousand years: openlibrary.org/search?q=e.+w.+bullinger+figures+of+speech
      March 30, 2018 2:16 PM MDT

Perhaps you should re-examine your sources and worry less about mine:

Myth Summary
    Chapter 1: Interpretation and Definition of Classical Mythology

Myth: not a comprehensive term for all stories but only for those primarily concerned with the gods and their relations with mortals.

https://global.oup.com/us/companion.websites/9780199997329/student/materials/chapter1/summary/

And it is not a "figure of speech"---it is a "type" of speech and narratives are included.  
      March 31, 2018 4:02 PM MDT

Yeah, ok. You can disprove anything by just refusing to believe it.
      March 31, 2018 9:52 PM MDT

It might interest you to know that there were eye witnesses to what we mistakenly call creation. They recorded their observations as best they could, carving some records into stones and passing verbal accounts from one generation to the next. It has taken a very long time to interpret these records because they don't describe anything we have seen. For example the legend of the dragon is carved into rocks all over the world, but it is only recently that anybody has noticed a natural effect that fits that description. This is a long book because it tries to cover everything completely.
    www.saturniancosmology.org/

March 30, 2018 2:18 PM MDT

BTW those eye witnesses also recorded the so called gap. They also recorded the two lights, one greater and one lesser, and those were not the sun and moon. The Egyptians recorded two suns before the one we have now, and one of them was green.
      March 30, 2018 2:22 PM MDT

• "...passing verbal accounts from one generation to the next"

The passing down thereof has been manipulated.  Eyewitnesses die, a new generation takes up keep over the history they were told, but humans doctor history up (fact).  I can't help but wonder if we were doctorers, if not misinterpreters, from the beginning, and then thousands, or billions, of years later expect history to be anywhere near accurate.  Many years from now when/if future generations study about us, what will they study to learn about us?  our internet news articles?  
      March 31, 2018 12:41 PM MDT