Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Maurice214
Discussion » Questions » Education » Do income inequality matter to you? to your country?

Do income inequality matter to you? to your country?

New York Times AUG. 7, 2017: Our Broken Economy, in One Simple Chart.
Now, dont go blaming Trump for this. It is a trend that have lasted for at least 50 years.  It is just continuing now.

Obama couldnt do anything either (except acknowledge it as a problem)
Seems it is here to stay.

Seems it is here to stay

Posted - April 11, 2018

Responses

It is the lies that tax cuts will 'REALLY' help the less than the rich class that bothers me...
      April 11, 2018 5:05 PM MDT

Every dingbat on every forum on the intarwebs says you need a degree to get a good job specifically to promote income inequality.

So what is this that you are talking about as if it's a bad thing?
      April 11, 2018 5:35 PM MDT

The things I'm good at don't pay so well as what others can do that do get the bucks.
      April 11, 2018 7:16 PM MDT

It does. The top 1% control more than 25% of the wealth and it's getting worse. And maybe three of them earned it,  the rest inherited vast sums and built on it by being even more rapacious than their predecessors.
      April 11, 2018 7:51 PM MDT

Only when two people doing the same job aren’t compensated in equal measure. 
    Other than that, I think its far more useful to focus on doing everything in our power to raise the quality of our own lives, instead of brooding over what other people have. Not everyone in the 1% had it handed to them. 
      April 11, 2018 8:43 PM MDT

How nice that someone else gets it.
      April 11, 2018 9:11 PM MDT

Yup. :) This post was edited by rusureamisure? at April 12, 2018 5:48 AM MDT
      April 11, 2018 10:39 PM MDT

True but I would point out that even two people doing the same job won't do it equally as well.  So will likely not be as equally valuable to an employer. 
      April 12, 2018 5:48 AM MDT

(Do Does)
      April 11, 2018 8:44 PM MDT

No I see that as an artificial, manufactured construct.  Why would anyone ever think at all that everyone should, or could, all earn the same amount?  And from an equally practical point of view how could that ever happen except in a totalitarian society? 

Seems to come from people envious of other people who do better than them. And they think OK I am as good as them so why shouldn't I make what they do?  Completely forgetting about what work and compensation for services performed are all about. 

Your employer is going to pat you based upon your value to him or her within the context of what their business earns.  So there are many variables.  But some people seem to have the idea that a business exists only for the purpose of paying its employees - which is of course not true at all.  No business no jobs.  So because we don't all work for the same employer and we are not all of the same value to that employer nothing like "income equality" can exist at all.  Except as a pipe dream in the minds of the envious. 
      April 12, 2018 5:46 AM MDT