Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » At the end of the thousand years described in Revelation 20, is Satan going to resurrect everyone who died without knowing Jesus from hell?

At the end of the thousand years described in Revelation 20, is Satan going to resurrect everyone who died without knowing Jesus from hell?

Revelation 20 talks about Satan being released from the abyss at the end of the thousand years and building a great army to try to fight God. It also says that “the rest of the dead did not come back to life until the thousand years had ended”, and at the end of the chapter, it describes Satan and all his followers being thrown into the lake of fire, the second hell. This gets me to wonder, how are all these unbelievers of God released out of the first hell to begin with, and where does Satan get his army in his last ditch attempt to get revenge on God?

Posted - May 9, 2018

Responses

No, it’s a cruel fable.

Revelations was the literary product of so-called ”visions” by an author (some say John of Patmos) or authors unknown, and was a highly disputed inclusion in the Bible Canon long after the New Testament Gospels were edited and compiled.

Clearly not the work of any God, though the agenda for its eventual inclusion is clear:

With its lurid threats of fire and depravity and suffering, Revelations is an accretion of fearful and arcane allegories tacked onto the NT after the fact, with the intent to scare the ignorant masses into unquestioning submission to Christian doctrine.
    ...and it has worked beyond measure. 

Does it scare you? This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 21, 2018 10:32 PM MDT
      May 9, 2018 12:41 PM MDT

Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

God Himself maintains the integrity of His word.
      May 9, 2018 9:12 PM MDT

"God Himself maintains the integrity of His word." but I guess we first need to agree what constitutes His word. Is it any of the many 66 book Protestant versions, or the 73 book Catholic version, or the 81 book Ethiopian version or the 84 book Eastern Orthodox one?

May 15, 2018 3:51 PM MDT

Why is it assumed that god is male, or even in human form?
      May 21, 2018 10:33 PM MDT

1. Not all religions assume God to be either male or in human form.

2. However, even religions that clearly define God as being neither male nor in human form will still use 

a] the masculine gender when referring to God. Some languages do not have the neuter gender pronoun, "it". Those that do consider it inappropriate to use for God as it implies a lifeless object. In most languages "he" is used for "he or she". Many legal documents usual have a note in them to that effect. In normal usage to say "she" is to make a point that the person referred to is feminine.

b] and ascribe to God human qualities and attributes. That is not to contradict their belief that God does not have a human form but simply to make it easier for humans to relate to God. Humans think in human terms. They can't do so in God terms.
      May 22, 2018 6:34 AM MDT

And yet most seem to submit to unquestioning pagan myths like immortality of the soul, trinity, Christmas, Easter, etc instead of Christian doctrine.
    That trinitarian god that burns immortal souls without dying for eternity is scary.

(Revelation 21:3, 4) With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”
      May 10, 2018 10:43 AM MDT

If you were a computer, you would be using MS-DOS---and would have to know the command prompts for it to do anything.

You still study the bible with MS-DOS and all its limitations and propensities for error. Meanwhile, God, through the Church He established, has given us a simple GUI so that simple people can simply point and click to find the information they need.

You study the bible as a man; Catholics study the bible with the Holy Spirit pointing the way.

The Resurrection not only changed reality going forward, but it also worked backward in time and reformed and incorporated the immortality of the soul, the Trinity, Christmas, and Easter, as well as everything else good---but which had gone astray---into His new reality.

I am reminded of certain characters in the Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis  (Aslan is the Christ figure in the Chronicles; Shift, Satan)

Like most of the Narnians, the Dwarfs were originally taken in by the False Aslan. and Shift's lies.

"They will not let us help them. They have chosen cunning instead of belief. Their prison is only in their own minds, yet they are in that prison; and so afraid of being taken in that they cannot be taken out."   â€•Aslan, describing the Dwarfs in Aslan's Country

May 16, 2018 1:31 PM MDT

If belief in the God and Jesus of the Bible is the prison you speak of, I gladly accept. Only in your head did God establish your bloodthirsty Church. Holy spirit is not leading you, corrupt misled men are. Forced celibacy and false doctrines have taken their toll on your Church.
    There are many Catholics responding to the Good News and getting out of false religion. 

(1 Timothy 4:1-3) However, the inspired word clearly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired statements and teachings of demons, 2 by means of the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, whose conscience is seared as with a branding iron. 3 They forbid marriage and command people to abstain from foods that God created to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who have faith and accurately know the truth.

(Revelation 18:4-10) And I heard another voice out of heaven say: “Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues. 5 For her sins have massed together clear up to heaven, and God has called her acts of injustice to mind. 6 Repay her in the way she treated others, yes, pay her back double for the things she has done; in the cup she has mixed, mix a double portion for her. 7 To the extent that she glorified herself and lived in shameless luxury, to that extent give her torment and mourning. For she keeps saying in her heart: ‘I sit as queen, and I am not a widow, and I will never see mourning.’ 8 That is why in one day her plagues will come, death and mourning and famine, and she will be completely burned with fire, because Jehovah God, who judged her, is strong. 9 “And the kings of the earth who committed sexual immorality with her and lived with her in shameless luxury will weep and beat themselves in grief over her when they see the smoke from her burning. 10 They will stand at a distance because of their fear of her torment and say: ‘Too bad, too bad, you great city, Babylon you strong city, because in one hour your judgment has arrived!’

You know more about the Chronicles of Narnia than you do the Bible, that's for sure.
    Your arguments are with the Bible, not me.
      May 16, 2018 2:50 PM MDT

Ah, tex, I don't know which is worse, your continual torturous attempts at perverting what the bible says to support what you think it says...or the actual false doctrines you preach....

I'll let God decide that.

May 18, 2018 8:39 PM MDT

Why don't you read the Bible so you can make an educated comment?
    What false doctrines do I preach?

Is some of this false?
    https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/jehovah-witness-beliefs/
    https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102010283?q=what+do+jehovah%27s+witnesses+believe&p=par This post was edited by texasescimo at July 17, 2018 12:52 PM MDT
      May 18, 2018 11:18 PM MDT

Few JW's are as insistent as you about the JW interpretation of the bible as you are.  In my experience, JW's like you have got to convince yourselves---not us "outsiders"---that your interpretation of the bible is precisely correct in order for you to believe some of the stranger things you think to be possibilities for you that exist because of the way you interpret the bible.

In my opinion, therein lies both your motivation and the danger the JW's pose to those of us who follow and listen to the God who exists as opposed to the one you have constructed for yourselves.
      May 21, 2018 3:07 PM MDT

In your opinion, the Pope speaks for God rather than the Bible. In your opinion, the Popes have been sanctioned by God to kill people who have believed the Bible over the Catholic Church. 
    Your opinion is of no value.
      May 21, 2018 3:58 PM MDT

Oh, texasescimo, what arrogance you display and how much total apparent frustration you must be feeling to say that my opinion has no value.

The next level of frustration that most people experience at this stage of their frustration with me results in them blurting out "Well, I'm just as smart as you are."

I wonder how long before you post that or its equivalent.

May 21, 2018 9:51 PM MDT

Talk of arrogance, read your own comment:
    [In my opinion, therein lies both your motivation and the danger the JW's pose to those of us who follow and listen to the God who exists as opposed to the one you have constructed for yourselves.]

As I said, your opinion is of no value.

The fact is that I have read and studied the Bible and you have not.
      May 22, 2018 1:06 PM MDT

not sure
      May 9, 2018 4:49 PM MDT

Methink Satan's Millennium Age army will be made up of malcontents born during that era.
      May 9, 2018 8:49 PM MDT

Next generation technical and social  zombies.
      May 18, 2018 10:45 AM MDT

To understand the bible, the first thing you must get straight is TO WHOM it is addressed. Most people think to whole bible applies to everybody everywhere. No no. It is like a letter addressed to somebody you know: you can read it and learn from it, but when it commands to do something you are not bound by that command because it was not addressed to you.

Most of the old testament is addressed to the tribes of Judah, Benjamin and Levi, the people we now call Jews. Some commandments were addressed to the other tribes, but most were not.

The Revelation To Saint John (not "Revelations") is addressed to seven churches named there. All of those were Jewish synagogues. Each synagogue had a mail clerk called "the messenger", Greek "angelos". That is why it says to write to the angel of the church. All the figures of speech are Jewish. The time is after the Christians have been taken out of the world, and we are attending the wedding supper of the lamb while all those adventures are taking place. At some later point we all return to Earth with Jesus to kick butt and clean up the place.

So if you are not a Jew, the book has nothing for you. And if you are not a Christian, you are on your own.
      May 9, 2018 8:56 PM MDT

Aye, indeed. More need learn.
      May 9, 2018 9:08 PM MDT

"So if you are not a Jew, the book has nothing for you." The whole Bible is for Jews only? Jews don't recognise any book of the NT. Christians need not bother with the Bible? So what should Christians use as scripture? "And if you are not a Christian, you are on your own." and that is of course according to Christians, isn't it?

May 15, 2018 4:03 PM MDT

Messianic Jews believe the NT.
      May 15, 2018 6:02 PM MDT

"Messianic Jews" are not Jews in the religious sense. They are Jews in the racial or ethnic sense. If they believe in the NT then they are Christians. 
      May 15, 2018 6:40 PM MDT

They consider themselves Jews. 
      May 16, 2018 4:36 AM MDT

how do Christians consider them - as true Christians, a heretical Christian sect or a cult or ....?
      May 16, 2018 9:26 AM MDT