Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » I’m highly suspicious of “Online Universities”, “Online Dating”.

I’m highly suspicious of “Online Universities”, “Online Dating”.

For fun, what activity would you say is ridiculous to “do online”? 

Posted - May 9, 2018

Responses

I found my house online and bought it on the phone.  I know.  I'm not going to make fun of anything people do online other than allowing social media to be a major part of life.  That is foolish.  Taking pictures of things and people and posting online without the people's permission just angers the heck out of me.  I heard a woman today telling about someone being rude to her so she took a picture and got on Facebook.  What the hell is wrong with people?!?!?
      May 9, 2018 4:04 PM MDT

I know of those who have taken courses online but I still find online universities strange. I'm not up-to-date technologically but it still seems it'd be easy to cheat your way to a degree at an on-line university. (And, yes, I know at "in-person" universities it's possible to cheat, too, but somehow it seems it'd be easier when you don't have to be there in person with an on-line university. Again, I may be completely wrong.)
      May 9, 2018 4:05 PM MDT

There's little respect for degrees from online for-profit schools.  I, as an employer, wouldn't even consider it a degree.  Real schools offer a lot of online courses but I'm not aware of degrees earned totally online by those institutions.  I'm not as involved with them as I once was so may not be current on that.  Go to college on campus is an experience that taking online classes cannot provide.  
      May 9, 2018 4:14 PM MDT

Would that include Penn State World Campus?
      May 9, 2018 4:20 PM MDT

Penn State is not a for-profit online school.  It may have an online presence like most do but I don't know if one can earn a full degree online from Penn.  Maybe you do.  If the answer is affirmative I would say it would be  like choosing hamburger over prime rib while probably paying prime rib prices.     And yes, as an employer I would not place such a degree on par with one earned on campus.
      May 10, 2018 7:46 AM MDT

That may be so, but online study is a lot less expensive than being on a college campus for four years.  Some study on line for a couple of years, transfer to a brick and mortar college and graduate from there.
      May 9, 2018 9:45 PM MDT

Going to college for four years on campus is a life-enriching experience that one will not get sitting in front of a computer. It is an unmatched opportunity for young people.   There is much more than the classes.  HR people know this. Employers know this.   We aren't talking about cost here.  We're talking about quality.   

If you take your online classes from a highly ranked school they are not cheap.  For-profit corporate online schools are, in my circles, called Walmart schools.  

You must realize there is a difference in "online classes" and "online schools."    This post was edited by Thriftymaid at May 10, 2018 9:05 AM MDT
      May 10, 2018 7:35 AM MDT

Not every child can afford to go to a good four year college.  Simply because yours did, doesn't mean everyone can.  You do what is within your means to generate the best outcome available.  Finishing your college years with a mountain of debt that you will be paying off for half of your working life is not my idea of a good plan.  Looking down on someone who is less able financially to send a child to college for four (or more) years is not an attractive quality in a person.

May 14, 2018 1:37 PM MDT

Off topic
      May 14, 2018 5:18 PM MDT

I guess the shoe pinches.
      May 15, 2018 5:23 AM MDT

Never
      May 15, 2018 9:07 AM MDT

I’m an old-skool student of actual in ln-person school. I just don’t see the value of the college experience being fully realized over the internet.
    As for dating, is there an easier path to victimhood? 
      May 9, 2018 5:44 PM MDT

I think also there is a validity to in-person, face-to-face, "in-the-same room/place at the same time" that provides full relationships and conversations. Those occur at in-person college/university environments.
    I also realize some people are at places in their lives that make such a place/time commitment impossible. Online universities, or, at least, online classes provide opportunity. But I still favor in-person higher education.

Again, I stress I'm not an expert on all of this.
      May 9, 2018 6:29 PM MDT

With college costs so high these days, people have to work around doing a four year college on campus.  Some go to a two-year community college, transfer to a regular college and that's where their diplomas come from. 
      May 9, 2018 9:47 PM MDT

Going to a two-year community college is not to be equaled to for-profit corporate online schools.  My daughter quit high school after 10th grade, made 100 on the GED and went to community college for one year, after which she transfered to and graduated from Auburn University.   This post was edited by Thriftymaid at May 10, 2018 9:03 AM MDT
      May 10, 2018 8:02 AM MDT

Is your dating question a joke?  I'm of the same opinion that sitting in class with brilliant professors never ever will be matched by online colleges.   I take some online classes via Harvard X just because I'm nerdy and like school, but there is no comparison even when the lecture is watched online.  Not the same.  That college experience is great for well-adjusted young people.
      May 10, 2018 7:39 AM MDT

No joke. It just seems like the easiest set up for an ambush.
    Not only that, have you encountered these sad people who are obsessed with people they think they love but have never actually met, then brokenhearted when the “relationship“ fails? 
      May 10, 2018 8:58 AM MDT

Don't get me started!!  I admit that you can feel close to someone through online communication but the brokenhearted people who haven't heard from their girlfriend/boyfriend online for two days just make me want to shake them.  :)
      May 10, 2018 8:19 PM MDT

college, i think its better to do that in person
      May 9, 2018 4:48 PM MDT

I agree, Pearl.
      May 10, 2018 8:05 AM MDT

My daughter did her first couple college subjects online (Swinbourne) before enrolling at Flinders University. NBD, got RPL for them. If it's a recognised institution I can't see a problem excepting the lack of access to teaching staff if you need them.
      May 9, 2018 8:17 PM MDT

Maybe it's a bit ridiculous to converse on line like this with complete strangers whom you will never meet. 
      May 9, 2018 9:10 PM MDT

I don't think it's ridiculous to converse on line with strangers, but I do think it's ridiculous to think they are true friends although I will admit that there are two people on here with whom I communicate by phone and regular email.

Edit to correct grammar. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at May 14, 2018 1:28 PM MDT
      May 9, 2018 9:48 PM MDT

Actual friends instead of virtual friends.  Good for you!
      May 10, 2018 11:48 AM MDT