Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » If you could create a planet like Earth and create life to begin on it -how would you go about doing it all?

If you could create a planet like Earth and create life to begin on it -how would you go about doing it all?

Would you do things same way God did or would you do something different? 

Posted - May 31, 2018

Responses

I would visit the planet and eat the lunch I brought, after that I would flap the picnic blanked in the air, spreading crumbs and debris all over the place. Before leaving I might even heed the call of nature, scattering some more bio-chemical stuff about.

Then comes the hard part: Waiting a couple of billion years to see what came of it.
      May 31, 2018 4:27 AM MDT

You’re presuming a god created the earth. Please demonstrate this to be true. Then we can begin our comparisons fairly. 

I don’t know that I would intentionally create a world “like earth”, because this one is so volatile and fragile. I would certainly furnish whatever inhabitants that did emerge a clear understanding how to manage and protect it, and then follow up often to make sure it was being done.
    And there would be no mosquitoes. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at June 1, 2018 9:12 AM MDT
      May 31, 2018 4:36 AM MDT

If you furnished the inhabitants a clear understanding on how to manage it:
    1 Would you give them free will?
    2 If you gave them free will and someone said they had a better idea of how to do things, would you smite the original rebels and start over or would you give them a chance to try it their way?
      June 1, 2018 9:12 AM MDT

1)Yes. Freewill to think and act for themselves up to a point where direct harm of others or of the Creation is imminent. Freedom, not lawlessness. 

2)Unlikely. If I had the skillset of a Creator-God type, I would have forseen all the best answers long beforehand. The guidlines of managing the planet would reflect this. Smiting malefactors is a last resort, but remains in play as a deterrent. 
      June 1, 2018 10:14 AM MDT

If I was God I would make up various creation scenarios then look into the future to see how each would eventually turn out then do whichever one appeared to be most successful so there should be no sin suffering and death.  Nope no mosquitoes neither. 
    Bible says God created Earth so it must be true. I hope God is not offended that I dare consider doing something that varies from His perfect creation scenario. 
      May 31, 2018 8:48 AM MDT

The Bible also says we mustn’t wear mixed fabrics or eat shellfish. It says the plants were created before the sun, and that woman was made from a rib, and a man lived inside a whale. 
    Must it be true because ancients who thought diseases were caused by demons eclipses portended doom, and the stars were holes in the dome of the sky, wrote it?  smh
      May 31, 2018 3:50 PM MDT

The series of unlikely coincidences that created the conditions necessary for intelligent life to begin in the first place are better arguments FOR the existence of some kind of god than the reverse, they're all of the "no such animal" variety.
    Firstly you need a terrestrial (rocky, not gas giant) planet within the "goldilocks zone" of a star of spectral type F, G or K. Anything warmer emits too much in the way of lethal short-wave stuff, anything cooler and a planet close enough will be tidally locked. No magnetic field. Not too unlikely, but it does limit the field.
    Then hit it with another protoplanet about one-third its mass, a glancing blow at a precise angle so as not to vaporize it entriely or knock it into the star but tilt it 23 degrees, set it spinning furiously and blast off enough crust to cause a cloud of debris which coalesces into a massive (in comparison to the planet), close-orbiting moon.
    After that, it needs to be bombarded with a huge number of water-ice comets. Not before, or the water will be lost in the collision, nor too much later or the moon has drifted too far to cause the MASSIVE tides which allowed the infant oceans to wash sufficient minerals from the land into the sea. At this point, there's no ozone layer in the atmosphere to block out cosmic radiation, no free oxygen of any kind - oxygen would have reacted with said minerals and prevented long carbon chains from forming. Oxygen there is in plenty, but locked by strong polar bonds to hydrogen (as water).
    Simmer for a couple billion years, you've got slime molds and stromatolites. No complex multicellular life. Thanks to the action of photosynthesizing algae, there's now free oxygen in the atmosphere.
    Next, freeze the planet for 100 million years or so. Only the hardiest life survives, and has to develop adaptability. 
    Volcanoes eventually melt the ice, and life explodes. Multicellular life - including a peculiar type that requires the free oxygen that is now available. Animal life.
    The vocanic actvity doesn't stop, then there's a massive eruption that continues for tens of millions of years. A runaway greenhouse effect wipes out 95% plus of all life again, only the hardiest survives. Many genera disappear entirely - when did you last encounter a trilobite?
    Eventually cooler solar weather cools the planet sufficiently to lock the methane away again on the ocean floor - and life explodes again. Still not intelligent - dinosaurs weren't terribly bright. Over the next hundred million years, the great reptiles rule - but a strange new type of life emerges. Warm blooded. Furry. Able to feed its young directly from its body without dying in the process. Nocturnal (at this stage).
    An asteroid strike wipes out the great reptiles, leaving the field clear - for the mammals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catastrophe_(2008_TV_series) This post was edited by Slartibartfast at May 31, 2018 11:13 PM MDT
      May 31, 2018 5:20 PM MDT

I agree about the miraculous confluence of conditions for life, but the ”argument” for a god typically arises from the quarter that least understands it, so seeks to expediently assert a father figure in the absence of any other ready solution.

Here’s the thing, Slarti B, when we cast the light of examination upon the scriptural references about the world, the cosmos, and the nature of carbon-based life, it is alarmingly clear that those same factions of antiquity that have asserted “God” as the source had absolutely no idea whatever what those things are. Yet we are supposed to accept that they got it right? 

We have since learned much better, and the theories work well without any god.

All of the things you posted about the unlikely sequence of life on the Earth are true, but inserting a mysterious, supernatural creator-being as cause by reliance upon “Revealed word“ is a specious con game —absent any evidence— brought by myriad alleged prophets and outed charlatans alike, to push an AGENDA over the lives of other men, touting the fallacious “Argument from Authority” in order to preclude any demand to factually substantiate their fantastical claims. Such allegations are legion, and they repeatedly contradict each other. 

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 31, 2018 11:00 PM MDT
      May 31, 2018 6:59 PM MDT

If I state "there is a god" and I also state that 'I have the winning power ball ticket for next Wednesday's drawing," both those claims may be dismissed without evidence---and I agree.

But if I got a "Yes, you were right on both,"  wouldn't that be an interesting Thursday?---lol
      May 31, 2018 8:38 PM MDT

If you turned out to be correct on the latter, I’d have to seriously reconsider your position on the former. 
      May 31, 2018 8:42 PM MDT

Actually if I did 'create' I think it would be wise for me to discourage people from believing in me as God because of all the trouble belief in God or gods causes and inspire persons like Buddha to start non-belief kind of philosophies as guidelines for good living if people wanted to follow something. I would also inspire scientists like Darwin to develop the concept of evolution and science to find the evidence for big bang theory as well as big bounce theory..

Then i would just continue to exist but in a state of an imaginary realm. This post was edited by Kittigate at June 1, 2018 2:58 PM MDT
      June 1, 2018 2:57 PM MDT

The link you posted a few minutes ago on another question didn't work---and now your answer is gone.

If you review at a link that did not group itself the way it should when you posted it, go to https://goo.gl/

T
    here you can enter the link into their converter and get a shortcut link that will take you to the original site you wanted us to read.

June 2, 2018 9:12 AM MDT

Was just a  link to urban dictionary humorous  definition of 'godless left'. Only part of the link posted so I cancelled. 
     Nothing too important. 

Thanks for the tip. This post was edited by Kittigate at June 2, 2018 9:33 AM MDT
      June 2, 2018 9:31 AM MDT

i wouldnt do it
      May 31, 2018 9:50 AM MDT

No mosquitoes. I'd also cause a patch of lightened fur on the platypus to clearly spell LOL so people would KNOW it's a joke.
      May 31, 2018 4:55 PM MDT

It would be the same but different . We would all speak the same language ,be the same race,eat non spicy food ,there would be no religion and no weapons of any kind ,no nasty illnesses or viruses , we would all be vegetarians so there would be no need to slaughter animals ,fish ,birds etc ....
    All alcohol would be free and everyone would have to drive on the right left hand side of the road to prevent pointless accidents ......USA ...you've been warned...:( 

Big plus coming........ No one would be allowed to Dis cute blondes..  :)D 
      May 31, 2018 6:30 PM MDT

No spicy food? Aw jeez. This post was edited by Don Barzini at June 1, 2018 6:00 AM MDT
      June 1, 2018 5:59 AM MDT

Oh I definitely would do something different because I am so much smarter than God who created me.

Who do you think I am?

Trump?

June 1, 2018 9:42 AM MDT