Active Now

Spunky
Randy D
my2cents
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Does England have rednecks?

Does England have rednecks?

Posted - July 8, 2018

Responses

No, not in the same sense.. we have rough people, common people, but we don't have the isolation that fosters development of what we might perceive as redneck. People wouldn't have guns, and they wouldn't hunt... or eat roadkill.. partly because our rough people tend to live in crowded inner city areas. 
      July 8, 2018 1:30 PM MDT

Oh...gangstas.
      July 8, 2018 1:31 PM MDT

We have chavs too.. but I believe there are fundamental differences between the traditional image of redneck and our chavs or people from deprived areas
      July 8, 2018 1:35 PM MDT

• Historical Scottish Covenanter usage
    In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell.[25][26] Eventually, the term began to mean simply "Presbyterian", especially in communities along the Scottish border. Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American South, some historians have suggested that this may be the origin of the term in the United States.[27]

Dictionaries document the earliest American citation of the term's use for Presbyterians in 1830, as "a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians of Fayetteville [North Carolina]".[9][26]

Roman Catholics
    In Northern England during the 19th and 20th centuries, Roman Catholics were also known as rednecks.[28]

South Africa
    The exact Afrikaans equivalent, rooinek, is used as a disparaging term for English people and South Africans of English descent, in reference to their supposed naïveté as later arrivals in the region in failing to protect themselves from the sun.[29]

SOURCE:  Wikipedia This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 8, 2018 2:01 PM MDT

Interesting, always good to learn something new
      July 8, 2018 1:38 PM MDT

I was going to reply the same thing. Something new each day.
      July 8, 2018 1:49 PM MDT

Thanks Alf.
      July 8, 2018 1:50 PM MDT

•   July 8, 2018 2:46 PM MDT

Give 'em  a bit, Trump's on his way.

I hope we have a suitable welcome planned for him 
      July 8, 2018 1:36 PM MDT

Could you keep him???  Pretty please.  
      July 8, 2018 1:39 PM MDT

Well apparently he is off to Scotland after the official visit.. for some private time on his golf course there.. we can only hope there are some wild Scottish clansmen up there who might abduct him. 
      July 8, 2018 1:41 PM MDT

Your on the right track - you got the angry  baby balloon and Green days song made it to the top of the charts again. Cheers!
      July 10, 2018 10:24 PM MDT

probably
      July 8, 2018 2:41 PM MDT

They're not called that. You get back-country yokels in places like the Yorkshire Dales, and chavs in Brixton. Crossbreed those and you get something very much like a redneck.
    We have them in Australia too, but they're called bogans.
    Male bogan uniform: red flannie over black or blue wife beater, stained drill shorts and steel caps with no socks.
    Female bogan uniform: mismatched track suit and ugg boots. Accompanied by three or more kids, no two of whom have the same biological father.
      July 8, 2018 3:18 PM MDT

Yep...rednecks.
      July 10, 2018 5:49 AM MDT

Winnie blue is for shielas and tryhards. The true bogan blokes smoke Winnie RED.

July 10, 2018 10:14 PM MDT

Yes, but they are called yobs and they drive on the wrong side of the road and drink tea all the time, so it's hard to pick them out of a crowd.
      July 8, 2018 3:43 PM MDT

Hard question to answer. I know of a lot of Midwest and Southern (US) citizens like to identify as redneck, but redneck is generally just used as a loose term to describe traits that are common in those regions. Like someone who drives a truck, or someone who listens to country, someone who wears camo, someone who supports Trump, someone who likes to hunt and fish, someone who has a strong country accent. Those who have all of those traits (and often more) will probably fit that description better, but even those who only have a few (or even less) often identify. 

Irish, Scottish and Northern English are probably the closest thing you can compare the Midwest and the South to. And I think that's where the majority of the South and Midwest settlers came from, also. Makes sense. 
      July 8, 2018 7:33 PM MDT

Famous rednecks from Easy Rider:

July 9, 2018 5:22 AM MDT

The guy with the gun should go and see a dr. 
      July 9, 2018 7:53 PM MDT

He is a doctor.
      July 10, 2018 5:50 AM MDT

I would say they were the first racists. 

I would say they are the more refined, more nazi, more evil version of redneck.  Just RED.

Now the rednecks are the Aussies.  They are the convicts and deplorable stock.  That is more redneck.

The others, the Brits, are plain elitist aholes.

Now America?  We are in-between.  We have sat on our laurels so long, we are stagnant and are just pickings for stronger vultures.   We have stupided our way to loserland.

July 9, 2018 7:57 PM MDT

Thanks Sharonna.I don't think.
    Certainly many of us are descended from transportees. 2 of my ancestors were sentenced for "political activity in Ireland", ie they were Irish patriots, guilty of less than George Washington was - if the American revolution had failed they wouldn't have transported him, they'd have HANGED him. This is "deplorable"?
    The vast majority of Australians are descended from free settlers - including all the rest of my ancestry save one aborigine who was no more deplorable than a Native American - guilty of having inferior weapons to beat the British invasion.
      July 9, 2018 10:49 PM MDT