Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Hypothetical Question: If you had publicly shared that you take medication for a psychiatric disorder, would you think twice

Hypothetical Question: If you had publicly shared that you take medication for a psychiatric disorder, would you think twice

about calling someone else out as being mentally ill? Does it take one to know one? 

Posted - July 9, 2018

Responses

For me personally every difficult situation, every problem, makes me more humble and compassionate.. so no, I'd not call anyone else out and I don't think that having a mental health issue is something that should count against someone anyway.. we are all just human beings trying to get by the best we can..

That said, I have had people take what I shared with them, i.e. at work, and use it against me. 
      July 9, 2018 8:59 AM MDT

I agree with you 100%!

I was going to incorporate what you said in my post (about mental disorders not being something to be ashamed of or held against someone). I got distracted by a phone call and forgot. That seems to happen to me a lot, lately. ;-) 

Mental disorders aren't something to discount people over, and they aren't something to mock, either. 

Thanks for your reply! 
      July 9, 2018 9:12 AM MDT

I would think twice at least. And, most likely, I'd be more apt to feel closer to the person, possibly, since being on anxiety medication myself.
      July 9, 2018 9:02 AM MDT

I don't think it's something to be ashamed of, and I don't think it should be used as a way to throw insults, either. 

Our quirks and imperfections are what make humans interesting, in my opinion. 
      July 9, 2018 9:17 AM MDT

Yes.
    :)
      July 9, 2018 4:54 PM MDT

In the first place, I wouldn't share that kind of information on a public site.  Secondly, there are many people who suffer from mental illnesses who are doing what they can to get help.  In addition, there are infirmities that come with age - they are not necessarily mental illnesses - they are some normal functions of reaching ones "golden" years.  Perhaps a bit of compassion and understanding would be better used than scorn.  Karma could easily visit the scorner.  
      July 9, 2018 9:59 AM MDT

I would never 'call anyone out' for being mentally ill. Unless a person is a mental health professional, they have no business diagnosing anyone else whether or not they take medication themselves.  I am disturbed by the way the terms OCD, bipolar, ADD, etc. are thrown around. Mental health issues are health issues the same as any other illness. They are not character flaws or the punchline to a joke. The fact that I take medication is nothing to hide nor to be ashamed of. It might not be the first thing I disclose about myself, but only because it does not define me any more than someone else might be defined by having diabetes or MS. I also think it's time to stop hiding and stigmatizing mental health issues. Too many people feel isolated and afraid to seek help as it is.  
      July 9, 2018 10:37 AM MDT

I agree with you, Jane. 
      July 9, 2018 2:28 PM MDT

I'd think twice first before doing such a stupid thing. It's no one's business what kind of meds I take.
      July 9, 2018 2:34 PM MDT

Well-said.
    :)
      July 9, 2018 4:53 PM MDT

i think its true that it takes one to know one
      July 9, 2018 2:59 PM MDT