Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Does "make America great again" really mean 'prevent economic collapse of America'?

Does "make America great again" really mean 'prevent economic collapse of America'?

There are various websites predicting collapse of American economy. Should that be taken too seriously? 

Posted - July 22, 2018

Responses

It’s never been made entirely clear what period is referred to when America was “Great” the first time.

That at least would give us an idea what to expect. 
      July 22, 2018 4:59 AM MDT

I'm thinking maybe the Reagan years? 
      July 22, 2018 8:39 AM MDT

Possibly. It was a prosperous time in the US, but I was in the Army during the Reagan years, so my view of that period may not be as rosy as some. 
      July 22, 2018 9:15 AM MDT

You have several questions mashed together. 

Nobody now alive has seen a great country, so what they mean is some sort of wishful thinking. 

We have an entire nation of people who can talk all day long without knowing what exactly they are saying. So it's kinda pointless to discuss what they mean.

Economists (actual economists, not the government bullsnot artists) have been predicting collapse since 1964 when silver backing of the money was abolished, and since 1971 when gold backing was abolished. The only thing that has changed is the verbs are in present tense now, instead of future tense.

Economists are able to predict a collapse because symptoms are quite obvious and no country has ever avoided collapse after the symptoms began to show. But timing and details are random.
      July 22, 2018 6:18 AM MDT

I think the sense of that, as President Trump meant it, was that this country,in its institutions and understandings,     was great as it was but we have allowed other special interests and political correctnesses to sidetrack us from what is truly important.    Which I agree with. 
      July 22, 2018 8:55 AM MDT

I think it's simply a lack of imagination -  they couldn't think of a new slogan so they just added a word to the old one.  Anyway at this very moment the new Make America Great Again  hats that Trump ordered from China are held up at customs - if Trump truly believed in making America great those hats would of been made in the US not China. Cheers! 
      July 22, 2018 9:41 AM MDT

MAGA hats made in China! !
      July 22, 2018 9:49 AM MDT

anything is possible
      July 22, 2018 3:35 PM MDT