Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Did you have to parallel park as part of your road test to get your driver's license?

Did you have to parallel park as part of your road test to get your driver's license?

Posted - September 3, 2018

Responses

• 14? Is that like a farming or hardship thing.  Sounds really young compared to most states. The Class A "trailer only" you speak of we did in truck driver's school along with the other way.  The DMV furnished us with 28' ft. trailers, so either way was a snap.  Thanks for your answer, Livvie.  Good seeing you again.
      September 4, 2018 11:01 PM MDT

I was already driving dad's pickup truck around the farm since I was 12.

My state's minimum driving age is 14 so two days after my 14th birthday I took the written test and get a learner's permit.  My 14th birthday was on a Sunday and the local DMV is only open Tuesday through Friday.  I went to driving school so I was eligible to take the road test and get my license three months after I got my learner's permit.  If I didn't go to driving school I would have had to wait six months to take the road test.

I went to a technical college to get my CDL training so I took their day cab and 48' trailer to the road test.  The DMV here doesn't furnish trailers so I had to do the backing tests with the 48 footer.  I got my CDL when I was 18 but I had a K restriction until I was 21.  The K restriction means the driver can't drive the truck in another state.
      September 5, 2018 1:38 AM MDT

• I was driving at a very young age as well ... on private property, but I had to wait until I was 16 to get my Class C.  Didn't get my Class A until I left my machinist career. When the time came in my life to buy a motorhome and see the USA, I chose a semi. :)

First I'd heard of the "K" restriction though.  I just it makes sense.  There are truck drivers that start really young. I know my son-in-law sure did!
      September 5, 2018 5:00 AM MDT

I took Driver’s Ed. Our final driving test included parallel parking among other situations. I also took the written test. All I had to do at the DMV was prove it was me, pay, take a picture, and I was done. 
      September 4, 2018 6:30 PM MDT

• That sounds like a heck of a deal! Thanks for your answer, Rizz.  :)
      September 4, 2018 10:54 PM MDT

You’re welcome. I had the best instructor too. He was so laid back and funny as heck. He was a police officer too. One of the most respected people in the community. 
      September 4, 2018 10:57 PM MDT

• Police officers are people too.  My uncle was a police officer, amongst other things.
      September 4, 2018 11:04 PM MDT

They certainly are. I’ve always had respect for them. I’ve never had a negative interaction with one either. I’ve been a corrections officer for 16 years. I consider them my brothers.
      September 4, 2018 11:05 PM MDT

probably
      September 6, 2018 5:44 PM MDT