Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Is it right for other countries to spy on ours? If not, how should data best be protected from hacking?

Is it right for other countries to spy on ours? If not, how should data best be protected from hacking?

Posted - September 6, 2018

Responses

This is a difficult topic to hold and maintain a firm position. I think most people would agree they don’t want their country spied on. I for sure don’t want other countries spying on us and hacking our systems. At the same time if a country has reasonable suspicion, evidence, and intelligence a foreign country is plotting building a mass mount of nuclear weapons, is planning on a unprovoked act of war on another country (mainly our’s), or if we believe someone is trying to hack us or spy on us we want our country to find out the intentions of others. It’s a slippery slope and I see all sides.
      September 6, 2018 7:40 PM MDT

Sorry, this answer is on the wrong question. I hope it at least somewhat answers all questions on this topic.
      September 6, 2018 7:43 PM MDT

I think seeing all sides is so important.
    Britain found the Russian spies who poisoned the former Russian spies and accidentally also poisoned civilians; chemical warfare.
    Using the methods of spies was the only way to find the culprits.
      September 6, 2018 7:58 PM MDT

Exactly. I find it necessary in limited situations.
      September 6, 2018 8:19 PM MDT

Right or wrong is immaterial. Spying is a fact of life and each side knows the other is doing it. The types and purposes of espionage are many, and sometimes obvious.
    The name of the game is CYA; what that entails is complex and ever-changing. 
      September 6, 2018 9:33 PM MDT

So when a country gets caught,
    and the one that has done the catching jumps up and down and says "how dare you?"
    and makes threatening noises,
    is this just theatrics for the voters?
      September 7, 2018 4:44 AM MDT

Yep, and for those who vote on intelligence agency budgets. 
      September 7, 2018 5:53 AM MDT

I rather like it that everybody spies on everyone else. Plans the that get revealed become useless and cannot be put into effect.
      September 7, 2018 12:03 AM MDT

Hmm - good thinking. Maybe you'd make a good spy - hmm? ;)
      September 7, 2018 4:45 AM MDT

Well it happens. Guess they must feel it is somehow to their advantage to keep tabs.  Has become the way things are done when there is the wherewithal and resources available.  I don't know that there is anything wrong with it - people are curious about whatever.  I don't think I could do it as I'm just not that interested in different countries. 
      September 7, 2018 4:45 AM MDT

Spying is definitely helping to keep Americans safe. All foiled plots are due to surveillance, most of it via the internet. Same overseas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsuccessful_terrorist_plots_in_the_United_States_post-9/11
      September 7, 2018 4:50 AM MDT

Yes but my understanding was you were talking rather about being spied upon rather than spying upon. 
      September 7, 2018 5:01 AM MDT

You got that right about my question above.
    I'm sorry if my reply seemed not perfectly on topic.
    I was attempting to show how it works, or can work, when who is doing the spying is reversed.

It is highly probable that there is far more spying going on than we ever guess: commercial spying between companies and nations for trade secrets, political spying into rival parties and lives of opposition representatives and candidates, terrorists spying out "opportunities", armed forces spying on each other's capacities and so forth.
      September 10, 2018 12:08 AM MDT

I think it's a good thing other countries are spying on us.
    It's sometimes a better "check and balance" than the citizens are capable of.

However, there is a difference between spying and sabotage.

EDIT: How to best protect against hacking?
    Don't connect to outside networks. 
    We should have learned that from "Battlestar Galactica" and "Independence Day". LOL This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at September 7, 2018 12:19 PM MDT
      September 7, 2018 8:14 AM MDT

Others spy on us, ergo it is not wrong for us to spy on others.  We would be naive to think that they are spying on us just to see what we're wearing or how clean we keep our homes.  Cyber attacks are increasing by more countries every day and my fear is that the US is not as far ahead of the curve as we should be when it comes to cyber security.  Didn't I read not that long ago that a child managed to hack into some high government system?  That is a person whose education you want to cultivate and hire.  
      September 7, 2018 9:14 AM MDT

i dont think so
      September 7, 2018 11:51 AM MDT

If the US is also spying on them (which it is, that's what the CIA is for), then it's fair enough.
      September 10, 2018 12:40 AM MDT