Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » should i get a pet?

should i get a pet?

I grew up in a honne where nny fannily wasnt affectionate, they never hugged us, so because of that i felt awkward about hugging others, to this day ive never dated, never got nnarried or had kids cause of it. i find it hard to nnake friends and if i do theyre not the type to hug, i feel like inn nnissing out on trying to get over that cause inn alone a lot. wonder if it would be healthier for nne to get a pet, instead of being alone so nnuch and this way i can get at least sonne of nny needs nnet. I cant get a cat cause inn supposedly allergic to thenn so it would have to be a dog. inn waiting to see if i get on ssi cause then it would be easier to afford it. inn tired of being alone constantly and wonder if it would help to get a pet. 

Posted - September 12, 2018

Responses

Yes! Yes! Yes!  Oh please Pearl, please oh please, Do Get a Pet.

I am not kidding.  It would make you so happy.  Really, animal energy is a wonderful thing.  I don't think you are allergic to anything.  You haven't had a chance to get allergic to anything.   A goldfish, named "Charlie" because "Charlie Tunafish" was the only fish I knew at 4 years old, was my first pet.  They are fun to watch but maybe not for you.  

At this point in your life, you might need some animal that you can touch.  I do think it would be most outrageously and courageously  EXCELLENT if you did.  
    Please let us know what you decide.  It would be WONDERFUL.  

If I could, I would hug you right now.  I can, internetly.
    HUGE HUGS!  Please DO!!!!!!!!!!!!! This post was edited by Merlin at September 12, 2018 7:50 PM MDT
      September 12, 2018 3:05 PM MDT

Pets are wonderful.  There are so many needing a forever home and to be loved including the senior dogs.   The shelters are full of them in every city.  If you have love to give they are waiting for you to choose one of them to take home. 
      September 12, 2018 3:30 PM MDT

No.  
      September 12, 2018 6:45 PM MDT

A puppy, if you are able to care of it. It will be the most loyal friend you will ever have and will add so much to your life. Undying love and as much hugging as you can give it. It will give you back so much more, it will change your life forever.
      September 12, 2018 7:53 PM MDT

Only if you are willing to walk the dog twice a day, pick up its poop, lug home dog food, pay for vet bills when you'd rather buy yourself something and do all the other things that go with being a responsible pet owner.  If you already know that you love dogs, then you probably won't mind doing all those things. But, if you're just assuming that you and this dog will instantly bond, I'm not so sure it's going to work out. You could try volunteering to foster a dog to give pet ownership a trial run.
      September 12, 2018 8:22 PM MDT

• as long as you are prepared to care for it properly and love it for the rest of its life.
      September 12, 2018 9:06 PM MDT

A dog is a big responsibility, a responsibility that will last for nearly 15 years!!!

- Dogs need to be trained (few come pre-trained)
    - Dogs need to be loved too - not tied up and interacted with occasionally.
    - Dogs can be expensive (food, vet bills, shots, toys, harness/lead, etc.)
    - All dogs are different!  Don't expect it to be like everyone else's.
    - If you think you may be allergic, find out BEFORE committing to a dog.
    - If you aren't willing to commit to the dog for 12-16 years, dont get one (Think of it like adopting a child).
    - Make sure a landlord will allow pets BEFORE commiting to a dog!

Dogs need forever homes, where they will be loved and cared for.  

* A dog can give more love than a human. 
    * Most dogs won't complain like humans.
    * All pets have their own personalities which can be a blessing to a lonely person. 

- Shelter dogs make good pets.  However, some may have had issues with former owners (beat, hurt, ignored, etc.).  This doesn't make them bad.  They'll just need more patience and understanding.
      September 12, 2018 9:51 PM MDT

Yeah, a small dog maybe and you take him or her out for walks can be a good way to meet people make some new friends. . 
      September 13, 2018 12:24 AM MDT

Only if you're prepared to be owned by it. It's a big commitment.
      September 13, 2018 12:24 AM MDT