Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What sorts of things do you do habitually to ensure your safety? What conditions allow you to feel safe?

What sorts of things do you do habitually to ensure your safety? What conditions allow you to feel safe?

Posted - September 13, 2018

Responses

I make sure I turn the stove/oven off when I'm done using it.
    I look both ways before I cross a street.
    I bathe on a regular basis.
    I live in a safe and gated neighborhood.
    I surround myself with good people/friends.
    I use common sense. 

This post was edited by Merlin at September 15, 2018 11:50 PM MDT
      September 14, 2018 1:55 AM MDT

I have a conceal and carry license. I always carry everywhere I go with the exceptions of places it isn’t allowed. I’m aware of my surroundings. I pay attention to the behaviors of others around me. 
      September 14, 2018 2:57 AM MDT

I practise awareness of surroundings and behaviors of others too, since about 18 when I first learned how to live in a city. 
    Wouldn't know how to use a gun, but fortunately never needed one.
      September 15, 2018 11:54 PM MDT

Not live in a country where the entire population walks around armed to the teeth, for starters.
      September 14, 2018 5:35 AM MDT

If criminals are going to be armed regardless of laws, law-abiding citizens should be armed too. 
      September 14, 2018 5:55 AM MDT

So you make it harder for the criminals to get guns. Worked in Australia. And the UK, Japan etc.
      September 14, 2018 5:58 AM MDT

It’s not that simple. Comparing the USA to other countries is comparing apples to oranges. We could ban and confiscate every gun but there’s too many guns which can be illegally smuggled across our southern border. We also have cultural differences. The reality is we have such a high number of guns it would be impossible to remove them. 

Here’s some facts that gun grabbers in America don’t know or ignore. Cities and states that become more second amendment friendly and adopted conceal and carry have seen a significant drop in violent crimes. The statistics are out there. Who’d think that taking away the advantage of criminals would do this? They’re less likely to attempt a violent crime when there’s always potential armed citizens.

Cities in our country which have the strictest gun control laws are the most violent cities with gun violence a huge issue. If gun control works why do these cities have so much crime? Places which are conceal and carry friendly have seen drops in violent crimes. It’s not a coincidence and quite frankly, I’m sick and tired of people from other countries acting holier than thou because we are constitutionally guaranteed the right to bear arms. 

Guns are a tool used. If people want to kill or harm othersk they will find a way. This post was edited by Rizz at September 17, 2018 1:55 PM MDT
      September 14, 2018 7:36 AM MDT

Could you give me the web-addresses where I can find those statistics? I'd be interested to look them up.
      September 15, 2018 11:57 PM MDT

I will. I work today and I didn’t bookmark the sites I found these statistics. Please give me time to find them.
      September 16, 2018 3:33 AM MDT

No problem. :)
      September 17, 2018 10:56 PM MDT

Agreed.
    I live a gun free place too.
      September 15, 2018 11:55 PM MDT

I'm pretty careful. Don't go out nights unless I am with my husband or somebody else.  Driving and walking as well - I notice many people don't seem to watch what is going on around them but I always do.  Don't heat or cook with gas.  Make well-balanced meals of natural and if possible organic food with emphasis on whole grains. No junk food.  Don't challenge people or get in their way. Live in a very safe country suburb.  Stay low-key and don't advertise myself. 
      September 14, 2018 5:55 AM MDT

Very sensible. 
      September 14, 2018 9:33 PM MDT

I stay away from dangerous people, dangerous situations and dangerous places. 
    ~
      September 14, 2018 7:07 AM MDT

Me too! :)
      September 15, 2018 11:57 PM MDT

I stopped trying to get one foot into my underwear shorts while standing on the other foot.

Gotta be more cautious about risk of injury from falls in my old age. This post was edited by Kittigate at September 17, 2018 10:58 AM MDT
      September 14, 2018 7:43 AM MDT

ha ha! :D
    we adapt according to need don't we! :)
      September 15, 2018 11:58 PM MDT

locking nny doors
      September 14, 2018 3:35 PM MDT

Don't swim in public pools or contaminated beach areas. 
    Change my pillow cases every few days. 
    Don't eat raw fish.
    Keep my doors locked.
    Check everything before i leave the house to make sure everything is turned off.
    Have yearly checkups.
    Drive safely.
    Don't smoke or drink.  
      September 14, 2018 9:32 PM MDT

agreed.
    curious about one thing - the public swimming pool - assuming that it's heavily chlorinated, what is the risk you perceive?
      September 16, 2018 12:01 AM MDT

It strips the color out of my hair, which I paid a lot for and ruins my bathing suit. Among adults, exposure to chlorine in pools has been linked to bladder and rectal cancer and increased risk for coronary heart disease.  
      September 16, 2018 5:09 PM MDT

Wow! Thanks for that.
    I don't dye my hair, but I do use a rubber cap to stop the natural brown turning olive green.
    I wear an old T-shirt and shorts rather than a bathing suit.
    In summer, when the ocean gets warm enough, I prefer the surf - more buoyant and more fun.

I'll check out those cancer links. I suspect you're right because chlorine's a pretty nasty poison on all levels.
    I still don't get why public pools still use chlorine when magnesium-salt works just as well and is so much safer.
      September 16, 2018 7:18 PM MDT