Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Music » What bands and musical artists do you find the most overrated.

What bands and musical artists do you find the most overrated.

Here’s my list in no particular order:
1. Nirvana
2. The Beatles
3. Elvis
4. Every rapper

Posted - September 20, 2018

Responses

This is the first time I've heard someone else really 'rave' about Percy Faith like I quietly do.
    :)

My parents had several of Faith and his orchestra's music -- I've always adored his arrangements.
    My favorite - - "Theme from Moulin Rouge"

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 23, 2018 5:54 AM MDT
      September 21, 2018 9:14 PM MDT

A former boyfriend turned me on to his recordings. Though of course I had heard of him growing up but had not listened back then.  Amazing how he makes all the different pieces fit together - like it has a logic all its own but also surprises you.  Now I mostly listen to classical music but I know there was, over the years, just so much really good popular music out there that most people have never even heard of. 
      September 23, 2018 5:58 AM MDT

I agree with you on the Beatles. 
    I would add all of the boy bands from New Kids on up to Backstreet Boys or whatever one is newest. Could even argue that the Beatles are the orginal boy band. 
      September 21, 2018 7:17 AM MDT

Gimme a break. "Boy bands" per se are characterized by the fact that they are pretty singers who can't play instruments. The Ink Spots, Platters and Drifters all fit that description and all predate the lads from Liverpool - who did play their instruments (in an unorthodox fashion at times - like another leftie in Hendrix, left-handed Paul McCartney played a right-handed instrument upside-down) and wrote most of their own material.
      September 21, 2018 8:23 AM MDT

They were billed the same as they do these boy bands.....this is the smart one, the cute one, the quiet one....

The are actually considered the 2 ranked boy band of all time behind the Jackson 5.

https://splinternews.com/the-15-best-boy-bands-of-all-time-1793851444 

September 21, 2018 9:30 AM MDT

• A band being overrated doesn't necessarily mean they are bad (or that you regard them as bad), it just means they are regarded a little too highly by people. I like The Beatles and acknowledge their influence, but I also agree that they're overrated. Beethoven's 9th Symphony is overrated too, but it's still one of my favorite symphonies. 

I've never been a fan of Bruce Springsteen or Journey, though. I consider them both very overrated. 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 22, 2018 8:03 PM MDT
      September 21, 2018 10:25 AM MDT

Thank you. Someone who understands.
      September 22, 2018 8:04 PM MDT

You've enough answers on this but just to say I nearly choked in shock when I saw you had added Elvis!!! I was always a huge fan of Elvis, even remember where I was the day he died.. I honestly believe he truly was the King. I can listen today and it still seems like he has an unparalleled voice. Truly a gift and he used it well. 

Funnily enough I don't mind Beatles but I could do without them... 

But totally outraged about the Elvis inclusion!

Personally, I always thought an artist called Paul Weller was a bit overrated... I loved him in Jam and Jam was a pretty iconic band here.. and I truly adored him in the Style Council.. but after that, while he kept producing music, I honestly felt he just lived on his reputation as the music he made was rubbish in my opinion. 

Here's a Style Council one - in my opinion this is truly awesome :)

September 21, 2018 2:36 PM MDT

I couldn't resist sending a Jam one as well just in case anyone's never heard of them and wondered.. 
      September 21, 2018 2:40 PM MDT

The Jam's News Of The World is used as the theme for one of my fave TV shows, Mock The Week.

September 21, 2018 4:03 PM MDT

It’s just how I feel. I find his music terribly overrated and I don’t think his singing voice was that great either. Just my personal opinion.
      September 22, 2018 8:09 PM MDT

none of thenn
      September 23, 2018 2:56 PM MDT