Discussion » Questions » Politics » Laughter in the UN. WIll Trump get the message ?

Laughter in the UN. WIll Trump get the message ?

this time?

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/trumps-speech-at-the-un-triggers-laughterand-disbelief

Posted - September 26, 2018

Responses

Laugh all they want...the USA is in great shape. As President Trump said. 
      September 26, 2018 6:10 AM MDT

That’s not what the laughter was about. 
      September 26, 2018 10:42 AM MDT

No he won't because after he said it he claimed he meant it as a humorous line. I watched his body language he was shocked so I don't think he meant it as a joke and he can't except that people were laughing at him and not with him. Cheers!
      September 26, 2018 8:30 AM MDT

If he actually meant it as a joke, he wouldn't have said he didn't expect that reaction.  It's amazing to me that his pants don't automatically combust.
      September 26, 2018 10:15 AM MDT

Nope. Trump doesn’t listen to anyone. Tone deafness is part of what defines him This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 27, 2018 12:54 AM MDT
      September 26, 2018 10:42 AM MDT

• Considering Trump seems to want little to do with the rest of the world, I don't think the fact that they laughed will have much effect on him.
      September 26, 2018 10:56 AM MDT

It seems to me that he simply is not willing to be a politician and compromise American benefit away.  He meant what he said about America being first.  That is the litmus test.  He's been as successful as he has because he had no idea what he was getting into.  So he just handled things like he would do in business.  I see it in everything he does.  I find no reasonable excuse for the hate for him other than the powerful are scared and spending huge amounts to keep the young folks stirred up and in the streets.  I'm sad about all of that.  I wish more young people could form their own rational opinions.  Maybe you need to hit the lecture circuit.  You manage to state your opinion without trying to offend.  Today that is somewhat rare.  All of that is intended as a compliment.  

September 26, 2018 1:13 PM MDT

That he should be a comedian?  No - he takes himself too seriously. 
      September 26, 2018 1:32 PM MDT

i hope so
      September 26, 2018 3:49 PM MDT

He's exactly what he accused Obama of being. We can only hope that other countries recognize that he does NOT represent the majority of the citizens of this country. 

"We need a President who isn't a laughing stock to the entire World. We need a truly great leader, a genius at strategy and winning. Respect!" - @realdonaldtrump 9 Aug 2014
      September 26, 2018 8:38 PM MDT

I can only agree with that tweet
      September 27, 2018 12:59 AM MDT

I have wondered if he actually is some kind of an incredibly twisted genius. Like, did he make a bet with someone that he could manipulate enough not-so-bright Americans to be elected? Highly doubtful, I know. Much more likely that Putin made that bet, and it was probably like the one between the Duke brothers in Eddie Murphy's "Trading Places"!

Yep. I'll bet our current nightmare is nothing more than a game between two rich, old white dudes who got bored with spending their money. 

September 27, 2018 9:25 AM MDT

To many of those people we are all clowns.  by definition. 
      September 27, 2018 9:53 AM MDT

I've listened to that part of the speech three times.  There was a little laughter when Trump bragged about his accomplishments.  He turned that into a positive Presidential moment.  He acknowledged it and gained applause and laughter from the audience at large.  At that point he was not being laughed at.  People making the claim that he is a laughing stock are in their own little reality.  Your article fails to mentioned the large applause and laughter after Trump's comment of an unanticipated reaction.    I'm shocked. 
      September 27, 2018 12:13 PM MDT