Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Are we really all that different? Are there more similarities than differences? And do we tend to concentrate on the differences?

Are we really all that different? Are there more similarities than differences? And do we tend to concentrate on the differences?

The question's been on my mind for several days... so I thought I'd ask? 

Posted - November 9, 2018

Responses

i think everyone is different, inn even different fronn nny identical twin
      November 9, 2018 12:34 PM MST

But I wonder.. are we more the same than we are different? DO we all care, and cry and love and laugh.. aren't those things more important than finding ways we are different and using those differences to hurt and humiliate? 
      November 9, 2018 2:19 PM MST

Every one is different in some or more aspect and everyone has some or more similarities with other people around..
      November 9, 2018 12:54 PM MST

I think there are more things we have in common than what separates us.  For the most part, I think we all want to have a decent place to live, a good job so we can take care of ourselves and our families, we want to be free to decide what's best for us, to worship as we please, to be able to come and go when we like, to be able to get a good education for ourselves and our children and have access to good and affordable health care.  
      November 9, 2018 12:55 PM MST

Yes, that's what I was thinking.. we have all these things in common.. we think, we feel, we hurt... so why do we so often seem to focus on the differences and use them to hurt others..  I know human nature is as it is.. but I got to wondering.. how much more we could all achieve if we really did stop focusing in a negative way on differences.. 
      November 9, 2018 2:21 PM MST

Unfortunately, I think the reason it seems that we are always fighting each other is because what we read and hear in the news is what the two extremes are doing.  There are a whole lot of us in the middle who aren't that rabid and who, in our own ways, in our own communities are trying to maintain civility and respect for our neighbors.  But, that doesn't sell.
      November 9, 2018 4:09 PM MST

Yes and no.
    The differences matter. The differences are what shapes how we view things and how we behave. However, I think we should do a better job of honoring and respecting our differences as well as be more accepting of people who are different from us. If we pretend those differences do not exist, then we will never understand the other side. 
      November 9, 2018 4:19 PM MST

wow...I just typed many words
    just to have them disappear...
    Yikes but will try once more...
    apparently what I wrote wasn't allowed
    or wasn't for your ears hahaha
    the Cosmos at work...
         ...Deep question...
    Yes we concentrate on the differences.
    It's all many of us know.
    It's what we have been taught
    throughout the ages and our lives.
    Most see themselves as a separate being,
    an individual separate from all things.
    Ego keeps us in that position.
         And Yes the similarities go deep.
    Many people, bless their Souls, can see
    the vast similarities,
    and some can see the deeper connection
    we have with life.
         We are one Being,
    but that cannot be understood or experienced
    through our thoughts. So most people
    miss that knowledge,
    in Essence...God exists within you as you.
    Same with everyone. Talk about similarities? hahaha
    But many dwell in differences
    and never see the light...
        Until our mind becomes still
    without thoughts running through it
    and our Ego dissolves, we will
    forever see only the differences
    and will never be aware of and experience
    the deepest unity of life.
      November 10, 2018 12:42 PM MST